Rams notes: Brodine working to make the switch from DL to TE/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Brodine working to make the switch from DL to TE
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4ecdc031-90dd-522a-ac00-97473e8f61ad.html

The last time Mason Brodine lined up at tight end, he was playing eight-man football for the Elm Creek High Buffaloes in Nebraska.

“I was an eligible tackle, basically, so this is different, a lot different,’’ said Brodine, a former defensive lineman who has spent the past two seasons on the Rams’ practice squad. “The coaches asked if I’d be willing to help the team out by playing tight end. I’m always willing to help the team.

“Physically, it’s not that much of a difference other than a little more open-field running, but I’m working on the playbook — it’s a little bigger for the offense — and doing my best to work on my technique.’’

Brodine, who figures he still needs to drop a few pounds from his 6-foot-7, 284-pound frame, played at the University off Nebraska-Kearney and was signed as a free agent by Oakland. He spent much of the 2011 season on the Raiders’ practice squad but did see action in a pair of late-season games.

Oakland cut him just before the start of the 2012 season, and he was claimed off waivers by the Rams.

Brodine, 26, flashed his athletic ability in preseason last year when he leap-frogged a blocker and nearly blocked a field goal against the Green Bay Packers.

“We have bunch of really athletic tight ends here,’’ he said. “At first, it was a little tough, getting used to the different techniques, but I feel like I’m improving every day.’’

Brodine, who spent some extra time on the blocking sled after Friday’s session, is competing at his new position with Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey, Justice Cunningham and rookie free agent Alex Bayer.

“I’m just focused on working hard every day and doing whatever I can to make the team,’’ Brodine said. “It’s a challenge, trying to learn a new position at this level, but I’m enjoying it. All I can do is give my best and hope it’s enough.’’

NEWCOMERS

After the draft and initial signing of rookie free agents, the Rams filled out their 90-man roster by claiming second-year guard Travis Bond off waivers from the Carolina Panthers and signing rookie free agent wideouts Diontae Spencer from McNeese State and Jordan Harris from Bryant (R.I.) University.

A University of North Carolina product, Bond was drafted by Minnesota in the seventh round of the 2013 draft and was signed by the Panthers off the Minnesota practice squad late last season. He played in two December games with Carolina before being released May 19. A day later, he was a Ram.

Being released “caught me by surprise, but I guess it’s the business,’’ the 6-foot-6, 329-pound Bond said. “When I got here, they showed a lot of love and I got in the playbook real fast. Being an offensive lineman, you’re always the underdog because you never get recognized for nothing.

“This is a great opportunity for me. There’s a great defensive line here, so I just find myself competing on every play, no matter who I’m going against. I just have to try to prove to the coaches that I’m one of the guys they should keep on the 53.’’

Spencer, a 5-foot-9, 161-pounder, caught 50 passes for 835 yards for the Cowboys last fall. He also led the team in punt and kick returns, scored 13 touchdowns and even completed a 46-yard scoring pass.

Harris (6-2, 215) had back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons at Bryant, setting school records in catches (193), receiving yards (3,735) and touchdowns (31) in a career.

CHARITY GAME SUNDAY

The annual “Fisher and Friends” Celebrity Softball Game will be Sunday evening at GCS Ballpark in Sauget, home of the Frontier League’s Gateway Grizzlies.

The evening features a home run derby at 5:45 p.m., the softball game at 7 p.m. and fireworks around 9 p.m.

Proceeds from the event will benefit five charities: The BackStoppers, The Jack and J.T. Snow Scientific Research Foundation, Mercy Ministries, the Wounded Warrior Project and Catch-A-Dream Foundation.

“It’s just a fun night for a lot of really great causes,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said earlier in the week. “The players really look forward to it. GCS provides an intimate setting for fans to get a chance to see and interact with the players and see them without their helmets on.’’

General-admission tickets are $10, with reserved field seats priced at $25. Tickets can be purchased through the Gateway Grizzlies ticket office: wwwgatewaygrizzlies.com/ticket/index.

Fisher, who almost always finds a way to come out on top in these games, seemed pretty confident when asked about the game following Thursday’s workouts.

Opposing manager and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer “is already working on his postgame losing speech. That’s how that works,’’ Fisher kidded. “But as far as runs and things like that, I don’t know how much I’m going to win by.’’

RAM-BLINGS

• Quarterback Sam Bradford looked sharp Friday in 7-on-7 drills and also took part in an 11-on-11 two-minute drill.

• Tackle Jake Long, defensive end William Hayes, running back Chase Reynolds and safeties Matt Daniels, Maurice Alexander (Eureka) and Christian Bryant did not take part in Friday’s workout. After being excused Thursday, center Scott Wells returned Friday.

• Rams team physician Matt Matava has been named one of the nation’s top 28 knee surgeons for 2014 by Orthopedics This Week. Matava, a professor at the Washington University School of Medicine, is also the president of the National Football League Physicians Society.