Rams notes: Bates gets the point on Armstrong's release --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Bates gets the point on Armstrong's release
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_4dacc86c-907d-5dd2-aa87-c30bcff806d4.html

No Rams player was closer to Ray Ray Armstrong than fellow linebacker Daren Bates. There were times when they wreaked havoc on special teams together. They danced together to the stadium music before kickoffs, and were known as the Bash Bros.

But there wasn’t much havoc nor bashing wreaked this season by Armstrong, and after a silly penalty last Sunday against Philadelphia, coach Jeff Fisher had enough. Armstrong was released.

“It was tough to see him go, but it’s a business so anything can happen,” Bates said. “But it’ll be something that happens for the good for both sides of it.

“I’ve talked to him every day since then — twice, three times a day. I’m just trying to keep his confidence up. He doesn’t feel bad (towards) anybody here in the building, so he’s stayed positive.”

Bates said Armstrong was surprised to get released by Fisher on Monday, the day after the Rams’ 34-28 loss in Philadelphia.

“Of course, it hurt him,” Bates said. “But I told him: ‘You’ve got to make some changes in yourself.’ ”

If Fisher was sending a message about eliminating silly penalties, it sounds like Bates got the message.

“I know (Armstrong’s) actions on the field are what ‘Fish’ told us we couldn’t do anymore,” Bates said. “You can’t get any penalties out there. We can’t have those in those type of situations.”

Armstrong, signed as an undrafted free agent in 2013 and the Rams’ top tackler on special teams a season ago, was claimed off waivers Tuesday by Oakland, and if he sticks with the Raiders, he’ll be back in St. Louis Nov. 30 when the Raiders visit the Edward Jones Dome.

In the meantime, Bates must search for a new dance partner on kickoffs.

“I might have to be by myself — just solo it out,” Bates said. “Ray’ll be there in spirit.”

Defensive captain James Laurinaitis hopes the rest of the defense — and the rest of the team, for that matter — gets Fisher’s message.

“A lot of the younger players were shocked by it,” Laurinaitis said. “I think it was a move by the head coach where he wasn’t satisfied with whatever (Armstrong) was bringing to the table.

“There’s always cuts in camp ... but to have a guy that had been in the special teams room, to see the fact that the coach said ‘I’m done with this,’ it kind of put them on edge. Like if he can go, if I don’t straighten up my house, I can go, too.”

Laurinaitis said he believes the players got Fisher’s point.

“You can’t take this game for granted,” Laurinaitis said. “You’ve got to prove yourself each and every day, and I think the guys got the message. At least I hope they did.”

INJURY UPDATE

Two starters and two defensive line rotation players either didn’t practice or were limited during practice at Rams Park Thursday.

On offense, starting running back Zac Stacy did not practice because of a groin injury. On defense, starting outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (groin) was limited as was DE Eugene Sims (groin). Reserve DT Alex Carrington (knee) did not practice.

For the first time since undergoing back surgery early in training camp, center/guard Barrett Jones took part in practice, albeit on a limited basis.

Cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) did not practice.

On the San Francisco injury report, CB Tramaine Brock (toe), OT Anthony Davis (knee/ankle), and DE Justin Smith (not injury related) all did not practice. TE Vernon Davis (back) and DE Ray McDonald (knee) were among six 49ers listed as limited. The others: NT Ian Williams (ankle), DT Tony Jerod-Eddie (shoulder), linebacker Nick Moody (hamstring) and center Marcus Martin (knee).

Vernon Davis and Anthony Davis sat out the 49ers’ 22-17 victory over visiting Kansas City on Sunday.

KROENKE EXTENSION

As expected, NFL owners meeting in New York City approved an extension for Rams owner Stan Kroenke to meet league cross-ownership requirements. Kroenke now has until June 2015 to divest himself of ownership in the NBA’s Denver Nuggets and the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche.

That was one of the conditions set in the summer of 2010 when league owners approved Kroenke’s bid to take controlling interest in the Rams.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Rams notes: Bates gets the point on Armstrong's release
• By Jim Thomas

KROENKE EXTENSION

As expected, NFL owners meeting in New York City approved an extension for Rams owner Stan Kroenke to meet league cross-ownership requirements. Kroenke now has until June 2015 to divest himself of ownership in the NBA’s Denver Nuggets and the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche.

That was one of the conditions set in the summer of 2010 when league owners approved Kroenke’s bid to take controlling interest in the Rams.

this ... kinda legits a report I have heard that Kroenke may be trying to sell the team. Why would he not have divested himself already? Was supposed to just be an easy transfer to his son.