Rams notebook: WR Givens eases frustation with a TD reception/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: WR Givens eases frustation with a TD reception
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_edf88f69-dd53-54fb-8787-92f50587a58f.html

Late in Sunday’s loss to the visiting New York Giants, Rams quarterback Shaun Hill found third-year receiver Chris Givens alone down the right sideline for a 47-yard touchdown.

It was the only pass thrown that day to Givens, who has become the forgotten man in the Rams’ passing game. The catch was just his ninth of the season and his first in six games. Givens’ last touchdown was Nov. 25, 2012, against the Arizona Cardinals.

“It’s been very frustrating for me,’’ Givens, 25, said. “I’ve never been this frustrated in my life, but I’m just going to keep playing and preparing to make sure that I’m ready when they decide to throw me the ball.

“It felt really good just to be out there and to be able to make a positive play for this team. It’s something I felt like I could’ve been doing all year.’’

The 6-foot, 203-pound Givens was on the field for just 11 plays Sunday.

A fourth-round draft pick out of Wake Forest in 2012, Givens showed plenty of promise as a rookie with 42 catches for a team-leading 698 yards while starting 12 of 15 games. He scored three times and set an NFL rookie record with five straight games with a reception of 50-plus yards.

A year ago, Givens started 13 of 16 games and had 34 catches for 569 yards, finishing fourth on the team in receptions and second in receiving yards.

This season, he has nine catches for 141 yards.

Givens said the touchdown came after discussion on the Rams’ sideline.

“They were pulling on our inside guys, so we made an adjustment that we thought we could end up as a positive play for us,’’ Givens said.

Hill was glad to see Givens get involved.

“Chris is a good player,’’ the veteran quarterback said. “On most rosters, he’s going to get a lot of touches. We have a lot of playmakers that we try to get the ball to and to see what they can do.... We get to hook up in practice from time to time and I have full confidence in him. I was very happy that it worked out for him and he got that touch.’’

As trying as 2014 has been, Givens has worked to remain positive.

“I learned this year that you can’t worry about what you can’t control,’’ he said. “Whatever the situation may be, I try not to let it affect me. I feel frustrated from Monday through Saturday and just try to make sure I’m ready on Sunday. I’m trying to learn from it, stay patient and trust God and play ball.

“What God has for me, no man can stop.’’

NO EXCUSES FROM WELLS

Center Scott Wells had no explanation or excuses regarding his two errant snaps on Sunday.

“Just bad snaps,’’ the 11th-year pro said. “There’s no excuse for that. That’s on me.’’

A high snap out of the shotgun with just seconds left in the first half threw off the timing on a pass play and led to Hill throwing the ball away and forcing the Rams to settle for a field goal. Late in the game, on the play following a blocked punt by Daren Bates, a shotgun snap sailed over the head of Hill. The Giants recovered and ran out the clock.

Wells has played with a brace on his right arm after hurting his elbow in Kansas City on Oct. 26, but will be looking to make his 16th start on Sunday.

“Obviously not something you want to happen anytime, but you really can’t afford to have something like that happen when it did,’’ he said of the second poor snap. “Those things can’t happen, especially from a veteran guy.

“You can’t run a play without a successful exchange and that’s on me. It’s entirely my fault. It hurt the team and I hate it. I hate it. But you have to go on. Learn from it and move forward.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Tuesday is normally a day off for the Rams, but the team has adjusted its practice schedule so the players can be off on Christmas Day.

In practice Tuesday, there was a scuffle between tackle Joe Barksdale and practice squad defensive tackle Don Worthington. After Barksdale slammed Worthington’s helmet to the turf, coach Jeff Fisher kicked the offensive lineman out of practice.

Barksdale declined comment. Fisher said, “Yeah, we had an issue. I’ll address it.’’

• Fullback Ray Agnew III (De Smet/Southern Illinois Carbondale) was waived Tuesday by the Cleveland Browns. He’s the son of Rams’ Director of Pro Personnel Ray Agnew, an 11-year pro who finished his playing career as a member of the Rams’ Super Bowl championship squad.

• Atlanta safety William Moore (Mizzou) was placed on injured reserve Tuesday after re-injuring his right shoulder on Sunday. The 6-9 Falcons, who host Carolina (6-8-1) Sunday in a game to decide the NFC South winner, are 2-6 without Moore this season.

In related moves, the Falcons promoted defensive back Sean Baker from their practice squad and filled that spot with running back Ronnie Wingo, who starred at St. Louis University High and went to the University of Arkansas.Wingo was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Falcons in 2013 and joined Buffalo’s practice squad after being cut by the Falcons. He appeared in two games last season with the Bills, recording a 4-yard rush and a 2-yard reception in a Dec. 8 loss at Tampa Bay. He was cut by the Bills in late August.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Givens is like a one trick pony, but we haven't even been using that one trick. Send him deep at least once per game!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I would love for Givens to get back to form and improve on his 2012 season. He has talent, he just isn't using it. A huge disappointment for me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would love for Givens to get back to form and improve on his 2012 season. He has talent, he just isn't using it. A huge disappointment for me.
OR Does it speak to our depth at WR!?

Athos

Legend
I doubt it. Givens played a lot last season and just looked terrible. Not sure he's that good.

Going with the not very good designation. Hard to be a good WR when you alligator arm it a lot, won't go over the middle, and can't run very good routes.

And damned if he hasn't actually appeared FAR SLOWER than his rookie season. He not only seems slower than Studman in a straight line, but just seems to play even slower than his rookie year.

I really wouldn't be opposed to upgrading to a guy like Coates/Duke Williams/etc if we have the ability.