Rams notebook: Team back to work, preparing for 3-0 Big Red/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Team back to work, preparing for 3-0 Big Red
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fdbb84eb-fe69-5166-9d29-562f28eb1b0a.html

Rams coach Jeff Fisher says the team’s new practice schedule is working out well.

“One of the good things about our schedule is that we’re able to put … we’re 24 hours ahead of schedule right now,” Fisher said, referring to his decision to work out lightly on Tuesdays and then giving the team its mandatory day off on Thursdays. “We’re able to put the last game behind us and get in the play and we had a great exercise tonight. So we had good meetings and guys are excited about the game plan. ...

“We’re just excited about playing the Cardinals right now.”

The Rams (1-2) will take on Arizona (3-0) Sunday in a 3:25 p.m. game at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.

Tuesday’s workout at Rams Park in Earth City began outside but shifted indoors with the threat of storms and lightning in the area.

The Rams were missing just a handful of players on Tuesday. Defensive end Eugene Sims and running back Chase Reynolds remain out after suffering knee injuries in the season-opening win over Seattle.

On Monday, Fisher said that both players are “closer. I don’t know, it’d be really close this week; that gives you an idea.”

Reserve safety and Eureka High product Maurice Alexander (groin), middle linebacker James Laurinaitis (vet’s day off) and wide receiver Kenny Britt (shoulder) also took Tuesday off.

Britt “banged his shoulder a little bit in the game,” Fisher said.

Britt finished Sunday’s 12-6 loss to Pittsburgh loss with seven catches for 102 yards; it was the 10th 100-yard receiving game of his seven-year NFL career and his third as a Ram. Last season, he caught four passes for 128 yards in a win over visiting Denver and had nine catches for 103 yards in a loss to the visiting New York Giants.

SPECIAL TEAMS REVISITED

With the Rams down 9-0 in the second quarter, punter Johnny Hekker saw an opportunity.“It’s a play we run, a play that’s been successful,” Hekker said of the fake punt. “I’m just praying it’s a play we’ll run again in the future.”Hekker, who entered the game having completed five of six passes for 79 yards and a touchdown, short-armed the incomplete pass to receiver Stedman Bailey, allowing the Steelers to take over near midfield.

A few plays later, Janoris Jenkins picked off a Ben Roethlisberger pass. Still, Hekker must live with the missed opportunity.

“There’s one person who has the ball in his hands to make the throw and I didn’t get it done,” he said. “Very frustrating, obviously, but I gotta put it behind me and move on. There are very limited opportunities to throw the ball as a punter; a lot of punters go seasons without getting that chance.

“Thankfully, under coach ‘Fish,’ if you’re a numbers guy, you know there’s a good chance we’ll try again and that’s definitely something I’m looking forward to.”

On the first drive of the second half, Fisher bypassed on the chance at a field goal from 60-plus yards and instead elected to punt.

“Yeah, I (considered the field goal), but a miss at that time, at that point of the game, could be difficult to overcome,” said Fisher, whose team trailed 9-3 at the time. “I just felt we would benefit from the field position change and make them drive it. Unfortunately, we didn’t get the pin; I think we had a touchback there anyway, so we netted about 30 yards.”

CHRIS LONG’S WATERBOYS

The Gamlin Restaurant Group has donated $2,841 to Chris Long’s Waterboys Initiative through the Gamlin Gives Back program. The money was raised during Sub Zero Vodka Bar’s 11th anniversary celebration.“So often we take our access to clean water for granted,’’ Lucas Gamlin said. “We are excited to partner with Chris Long in his pursuit to provide (clean water) to so many of those in need around the globe.’’Following an eye-opening trip to East Africa, Long launched Waterboys to utilize the NFL’s platform for his vision of providing clean water to communities that desperately need it. The goal of the program is for each NFL team to raise $45,000 to build 32 sustainable, deep borehole wells to provide water for 160,000 people in Sub-Sahara Africa.

In related news, the Chris Long Foundation and Mobovivo, a technology company, have launched the official Waterboys app. It will allow fans to engage with the Waterboys Initiative by taking and sharing photos for the recently launched #Drink4Water campaign.

RAM-BLINGS

When asked about the Rams’ defense moving into the league’s top 10 — they’re tied with San Diego at No. 9 in total defense — Fisher shrugged it off.“It means nothing. We’re 1-2,” he said. “I would trade a record for having the first-ranked defense. We moved into the top 10, but we have not made enough plays defensively to win games. We’re getting better, but we need to learn to win games on defense.”• Just days after facing the Rams, the Steelers cut center Barrett Jones from its practice squad on Tuesday. Jones was a fourth-round draft choice by the Rams in 2013 and was cut at the end of the preseason after failing to win out in a three-way battle with for the starting center spot that also involved Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney.

Earlier in the week, Fisher was asked if Jones with the Steelers forced the Rams to alter their line calls.

“No. That wasn’t the issue,’’ the coach replied.

• In other NFL moves of note: ex-Missouri receiver Marcus Lucas was signed to Miami’s practice squad and cornerback Imoan Claiborne, who was with the Rams in training camp, was released from the practice squad in Tampa Bay.