Rams notebook: Stacy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-notebook-rams-rookie-stacy-looks-to-build-on-solid/article_ec9de30a-c9b7-52ca-9f68-ce8f8fe7b4c3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 7b4c3.html</a>
Rams notebook: Rams rookie Stacy looks to build on solid first game
Now that he has had his first true taste of the NFL, Rams rookie running back Zac Stacy is eager for another.
“Just a great learning experience,’’ he said, referring to last week’s 27-19 loss to the Cleveland Browns in the teams’ preseason debut. “It was good to get out there for the first time, good to get back in the flow of things. Obviously, the pace of the game is a little faster than college and the game at this level, so much of it comes down to being prepared mentally and knowing your responsibility on every single play.”

Following a record-setting career at Vanderbilt, Stacy was selected in the fifth round of April’s draft. In Cleveland, he rushed seven times, a team high, for 23 yards and also caught a pair of passes for 13 yards.

“It was a pretty productive night for me,’’ said Stacy, who stands 5 feet 8 and weighs 214 pounds. “At this position, at this level, it’s really all about consistency and being productive.

“The physical part — I got a good internship in the SEC and I’m tested out here every day in practice by our defense — that comes naturally. What I’m learning now is more about the mental aspect of the game, learning to play fast and think on the fly.”

Stacy is battling for a position in a backfield unit that also includes 2012 draft choices Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead as well as Terrance Ganaway, Chase Reynolds and Benjamin Cunningham.

“All the guys in the running backs’ room, we’re all competing, trying to get better and to make each other better,” Stacy said. “As far as who plays, that’s definitely not our call. We just have to focus on the little things, playing mistake-free football and making the most of the opportunities you get.”

Stacy said his teammates are starting to get excited about facing the Green Bay Packers at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Edward Jones Dome.

“It’s going to be a great experience, playing in front of the home fans,” he said. “Once you get that first game under your belt, you start to look forward to the next one because each time you play, the more the game slows down for you.”

LATE ADDITION

The Rams bumped their roster back up to 90 Monday with the signing of D.J. Young, a 6-foot-5, 298-pound tackle from Michigan State.
“I was home, working out and nursing up a little when St. Louis called,’’ the 25-year-old said. “I flew in yesterday, they worked me out this morning and I guess they liked what they saw because here I am.

“It felt good being back out on the field, getting back into that football mentality.”

Young, a Lansing, Mich., native, played two seasons as a defensive tackle at Bowling Green and a year in junior college before returning to the Spartans. He started 11 games at right tackle in 2009 and 12 at left tackle the next year.

Young is the son of former NFL tight end Duane Young, also a Michigan State product. The elder Young spent six seasons in the NFL with San Diego and Buffalo.

D.J. signed as an undrafted free agent by the Arizona Cardinals and spent the 2011 season on their practice squad.

Cut just before the start of the 2012 season, he was signed by the Cleveland Browns and was on their practice squad last year. In January, he signed a reserve/future contract with the New York Jets but was released just before the NFL draft in April.

Getting the late start with the Rams, Young has some catching up to do.

“Lots of long nights and short mornings, but I have to do whatever it takes to learn the playbook and try to show the coaches what I can do,” he said. “There’s a big difference between being in shape and being in football shape, so I know I’ve got some work to do. But I’m happy to be here — I’m blessed to be here, actually — and I’m hoping to make the most of the opportunity.”

QB ROTATION

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said that Kellen Clemens will work with the No. 2 offense on Saturday. Austin Davis ran the second unit last week in Cleveland.
“They’re both competing,” the coach said. “Kellen had an opportunity to run around and make some plays there at the end (vs. Cleveland). We had a couple of breakdowns up front, in fairness to Austin, but we’ll flip it this week and go back the following week (when the Rams play Saturday, Aug. 24 in Denver).”

RAM- BLINGS

Missouri governor Jay Nixon and his entourage made a stop at Rams Park on Monday.
“He had a lot of good ideas. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that he’ll make a few calls for us... in the preseason,” Fisher kidded.

• The Rams’ practices today and Wednesday are closed to the public. Fans are welcome to return for the Thursday workout, which will run from 3:30-5:30 p.m.