Rams notebook: RB Watts released, injured Ogletree remains on roster/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: RB Watts released, injured Ogletree remains on roster
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b83b7560-03b8-597f-bb78-1cc52dcdc71b.html

With his one-week roster exemption coming to an end, running back Trey Watts was released Monday by the Rams.

But he could rejoin the team as early as Tuesday as long as he clears waivers.

“We’ll release him and we have every intention to bring him back to the practice squad,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said during his late afternoon session with the media Monday.

Watts, who signed with the Rams as undrafted free agent out of the University of Tulsa, had a solid rookie campaign in 2014 when he ran seven times for 30 yards, caught three passes for 18 yards and excelled on special teams with nine tackles.

The 5-foot-9, 208-pound Watts was suspended for the first four games this season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy and rejoined the club for practice last week.

Fisher said that linebacker Alec Ogletree, who is out for at least eight weeks after undergoing leg surgery Oct. 6, will remain on the roster.

“He’s got a significant injury and he’s going to miss some time,’’ the coach said. “So, we have a feel for how long the injury and when the return to practice and return to play date is. We’re going to wait and see if we need to use that designation for somebody else.’’

If Ogletree, who was leading the team with 55 tackles, including 46 solos, is placed on injured reserve, his season is over. But he could also be placed on the IR-designated to return list. In that case, the injured player may be allowed to practice after six weeks and activated to play after eight weeks.

By not making the move right away, the Rams leave themselves with options, since the clock on Ogletree will not begin until the Rams make an official move.

So, for now, Ogletree, the team’s leading tackler in each of his first two NFL seasons, remains on the 53-man roster.

BYE WEEK SCHEDULE

The Rams will practice Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before getting the weekend off. They return to action Sunday, Oct. 25, when they will host the Cleveland Browns in a noon game at the Edward Jones Dome.

Fisher said the team will use the time off to heal up and to begin preparations for what will be a key stretch. After Cleveland (2-3), the Rams host San Francisco (1-4), play at Minnesota (2-2), at home against Chicago (2-3) and at Baltimore (1-4) before a Nov. 29 game at Cincinnati (5-0).

“Looking forward to the week,’’ Fisher said. “Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday will be productive for us. We’re going to rest some people and we’re going to push some people. We’re going to work on some things.’’

NUMBERS GAME

With Ogletree out, strong safety T.J. McDonald paced the Rams on Sunday with 10 tackles, including seven solos. He also had a quarterback hit.James Laurinaitis had nine tackles and an interception, coming up with a diving catch after Mark Barron batted an Aaron Rodgers pass. Nickel back Lamarcus Joyner had eight tackles, all solos, and recovered a fumble after a sack and strip by defensive end Robert Quinn.Michael Brockers had the other Rams’ sack.

Mark Barron finished with six tackles and defended three passes.

The Rams had nine quarterback pressures, including two apiece from Quinn, Brockers, Aaron Donald and Nick Fairley.

Trumaine Johnson had the team’s other interception, coming up with a diving catch and a 29-yard return. It was his second pick of the season.

Quarterback Nick Foles and offensive linemen Greg Robinson, Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown took part in all 71 offensive plays for the Rams. On defense, McDonald, Laurinaitis, Johnson, Rodney McLeod and Janoris Jenkins were on the field for all 62 snaps.

Among running backs, rookie Todd Gurley took 45 snaps (63 percent) while Benny Cunningham was in on 20 (28 percent) and Tre Mason five (7 percent).

Tavon Austin led the Rams’ receivers with 55 snaps (77 percent), followed by Kenny Britt’s 53 (75 percent), Stedman Bailey’s 44 (62 percent) and Brian Quick’s 20 (28 percent). At tight end, Jared Cook took 54 snaps (76 percent), with Lance Kendricks getting 39 (55 percent) and Cory Harkey 20 (28 percent).

RAM-BLINGS

• Fisher acknowledged that giving Gurley 30 carries was not the game plan.

“We wanted to get Tre (Mason) in more (but) it just didn’t happen. He will play more,’’ the coach said. “I think 30 carries a game down the stretch is probably a little much (for Gurley).’’

Asked if there was a sweet spot for the number of carries for someone like Gurley coming off ACL surgery, Fisher said, “No, (but) 150 yards over the last two weeks is the sweet spot for me.’’

After rushing six times for 9 yards in his NFL debut, Gurley followed up on a 19-carry, 146-yard game against Arizona with a 30-carry 159-yard effort Sunday in Green Bay.

• A handful of ex-Rams have tryouts with other clubs. They include RB Isaiah Pead with New England, DE Gerald Rivers with Philadelphia and P Michael Palardy and DB Robert Steeples with Tampa Bay. Steeples, a De Smet High product, spent the majority of his college career at Missouri before finishing up at Memphis.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I sure hope Watts clears waivers, I'd hate to lose him, He looked great in pre-season, and I was looking forward to him rejoining the Team!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would have thought they would keep him on the roster for his great special teams play. I also thought he would have the speed to return kicks. He is very fast and has some moves. I would hate to lose him too. If Bennie goes down he may be needed ASAP

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not terribly surprised by this. I would bet he clears waivers and is signed to the PS as a safety gap. Too much depth at RB to carry him on the roster right now.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No surprises here....But TJ MacDonald is a serious stud...So is Barron......

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Gotta be careful, Watts showed promise in preseason for 2 years now. He'll be among the first snatches if teams need an emergency.