Rams Notebook:Fisher rules Rodger Saffold out for Sunday's Preseason Game/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher rules Rams guard Rodger Saffold out for Sunday's preseason game
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rodger-saffold-out-for-sundays-preseason-game

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold missed Thursday's practice as he continues to recover from an apparent right shoulder injury suffered in the preseason opener against the Oakland Raiders.

Saffold also sat out Monday and Tuesday's practices against the Dallas Cowboys in Oxnard, California, so it should come as no surprise that Saffold will not play in this week's game against the Tennessee Titans. With Saffold out, Brandon Washington continued to get the reps with the first-team at left guard.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed as much Thursday night but also hinted that Saffold was making progress.

"We're going to hold him out this week but he's doing well, doing much better," Fisher said.

Saffold has a long injury history, most of which has been tied to his left shoulder, which he had surgically repaired in the offseason. The Rams are wise not to rush him back and allow him to strengthen the shoulder before he returns. With little depth behind him and considering that Saffold is, by far, the team's most experienced starter, his services are needed.

And logically, holding him out now to try to make sure he's healthy for the long haul should take precedence over rushing him back for preseason games.

A few other notes from Thursday's practice:

Fisher also announced that the Rams are helping to fund a program in which a certified athletic trainer will be present at all St. Louis area Public High League football games in 2015. The team is donating $15,000 to the cause.

Sitting out the practice: CB Brandon McGee, CB E.J. Gaines, LB Daren Bates, LB Korey Toomer, OL Cody Wichmann, Saffold, DT Michael Brockers, DT Doug Worthington. Wichmann did some work on the side with the training staff and actually had his helmet but did not participate. Still, it's the first sign of progress toward a return from him in this camp. Running back Todd Gurley also continues to do individual drills. Tight end Brad Smelley limped off the field during practice.

Demetrius Rhaney took his turn with the first team at center.

Safety T.J. McDonald and linebacker James Laurinaitis ran into each other as they converged to break up a pass in red zone work. As they went down, end Robert Quinn began yelling "Careful, careful, we're not in Oxnard anymore."

I'm not exactly sure what that meant but I do know the weather felt like southern California. It was easily the most gorgeous St. Louis weather the Rams have had in this camp with temperatures in the mid 70s.

Some highlights from the practice field. ... QB Nick Foles hit receiver Chris Givens on a nice deep ball down the middle of the field for a would-be touchdown in team drills. Givens is quietly having a pretty good camp. ... Foles also lofted a perfect strike to tight end Lance Kendricks between two defenders in the right corner of the end zone for a touchdown in red zone work. ... It wasn't all good news for the offense, though, as Laurinaitis tipped a pass for an interception for Lamarcus Joyner and linebackers Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Alec Ogletree came up with picks as well.

The Rams are off tomorrow and will have a walkthrough before traveling to Tennessee to play the Titans. They leave Saturday with the game set for Sunday at 8 p.m. ET.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Practice Report 8/20: Fisher Downplays Return to Nashville
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-820-Fisher-Downplays-Return-to-Nashville/8252e988-e4b2-4476-aad1-d99dbc71880b

The Rams got back to work in Earth City on Thursday evening, practicing in preparation for their second preseason game against the Titans on Sunday.

Of course, head coach Jeff Fisher held the same position for the Titans organization for 16 full seasons prior to his arrival in St. Louis. But Fisher downplayed any emotional aspects of the return to Tennessee in his post-practice media session.

“It’s a preseason game and it’s an opportunity for us to get better,” Fisher said. “I had great memories down there, but obviously it’s been a while. I guess I’d say I’d rather go down there for a preseason game than a regular game, but we’re looking forward to it.”

Told there would be a video tribute at Nissan Stadium on Sunday, Fisher said his focus would remain on the field.

“I’ll probably miss it,” he said. “Coaches on the sideline don’t watch stuff on the board.”

The head coach is one of many both on the staff and among players who have connections to Tennessee. On the roster alone, Akeem Ayers, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook, William Hayes, and Damian Williams are all former Titans. And that’s saying nothing of the Rams’ numerous players with ties to the Nashville area.

“There’s some other guys in addition to myself that have some special memories there,” Fisher said.

Fisher said he still owns his property in the Nashville area and gets back down to Tennessee on occasion. And he relishes the memories that he made in those many years with the team.

“The thing reflecting back, it’s the relationships with the players,” Fisher said. “All of the players that came through there, getting through the move process, the relocation process, and then the ’99 season and the 2000 season -- where I think we had a better team than we did in ’99 [but] it didn’t work out for us.

“It’s a great organization,” he continued. “I owe a tremendous amount to the Adams family for the opportunity. We won a lot of games down there.”

PLAYING TIME IN NASHVILLE

Aside from addressing his return to Tennessee, Fisher said after Tuesday’s practice that playing time for the first units will likely go up in the second preseason game.

“We’ll increase reps, but some guys may play less,” Fisher said. “We’ll give Nick [Foles] a chance to play a little bit.”

And given what the team was able to accomplish earlier this week by practicing with the Cowboys in Oxnard, the Rams have gained plenty of experience over the past few days.

“The one thing that we did get which is really important for us, where we are now, is we got great reps against Dallas,” Fisher said. “We almost got an extra preseason game.”

As for what he wants to get out of the second exhibition matchup, Fisher mentioned three goals: keep the penalties down, see the run game get going, and improve against the run defensively.

“When you tackle and just do those things, it’s a progression,” Fisher said. “Progression, it’s about improvement so that’s what we’re looking for."

Fisher did add that Rodger Saffold will not play this week against the Titans, but the left guard is doing much better after tweaking his shoulder against the Raiders.

ADDING ANOTHER OFFICIAL

The matchup between the Rams and Titans on Sunday will feature an extra individual on the field in stripes. As Fisher said Thursday, the league has added an eighth official for select preseason games as a way of testing whether a permanent change would work.

“The officiating department is leaning towards going to the eighth official,” Fisher said. “All Division-I conferences right now have the eighth, and so we felt it would be good to experiment with it in a couple preseason games.

“As far as where we put them, we’re experimenting so we don’t necessarily know,” Fisher continued. “The Division-I conferences have put the extra official back where the old umpire was back behind the defense. So we’re going to have a little bit deeper, but we’ll move around. They’re working on the mechanics thing, so I think it will be good. It’ll be a good test for us.”

This methodology is similar to when the league had extra-point attempts kicked from further back during last year’s preseason.

FUNDING ATHLETIC TRAINERS

Finally, the Rams announced today that the club will be providing $15,000 to St. Louis Public Schools to fund a program ensuring athletic trainers will be present at all of this season’s high school football games.

“The league is all about player safety, and improving that area,” Fisher said. “The league has got an initiative, we got involved, and we’re proud to be able to help to provide athletic trainers to every high school football game in St. Louis.”

Rams head athletic trainer Reggie Scott said the program is vitally important in order to aid in maintaining the health of those players.

“There are a lot of acute injuries that can be really tough to deal with,” Scott said. “So just to have good care on gamedays for those kids is life changing, and will really help our sports.

“Protection and taking care of the players is most important, even on the high-school level,” Scott added. “And to finally be able to get some athletic trainers on the high-school level is a great day. St. Louis Public Schools have never had this before, so it’s good to have that to protect our athletes and for future careers.”

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If I'm Foles, looking at a second-year guy and FOUR rookies protecting me, I'm going to have a problem with a really owee hangnail that will keep me sidelined for this pre season game...Sorry coach, it really hurts...I'm working with the trainers every day...

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Might as well sit Saffold wouldn't want him to really hurt himself. Man this dude gets hurt alot it seems he has no threshold for pain whatsoever. We need him to lead by example and he can't do that sitting on the bench.

FRO

Legend
While I would like Saffold out there to build that chemistry, it wouldn't be the worst thing to get someone else ready at LG for when Saffold gets hurt down the road.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm Foles, looking at a second-year guy and FOUR rookies protecting me, I'm going to have a problem with a really owee hangnail that will keep me sidelined for this pre season game...Sorry coach, it really hurts...I'm working with the trainers every day...
Brandon Washington is in his third year and none of our centers are rookies. Now those two spot don't have much experience but they're not rookies.

Washington better show some improvement.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
If I'm Foles, looking at a second-year guy and FOUR rookies protecting me,...
I understand the desire to get Washington max reps and see what he's got, but if he's not ready for #1s, why not start Reynolds so Foles doesn't get killed? Put in Washington after Foles leaves and play the rest of the snaps, fine. Let Washington show he can dominate the #2s before you stick him in front of Foles.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn.....Our run defense looked liked shit vs the Raiders....Could hardly see at Oxnard, but I believe it didn't look that bad....
Saffold out, doesn't concern me as much as Cody Wichmann, his main backup, is still down....

We need to see a great team vs Tenn....At least a more polished unit in these 2 areas...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Damn.....Our run defense looked liked crap vs the Raiders....Could hardly see at Oxnard, but I believe it didn't look that bad....
Saffold out, doesn't concern me as much as Cody Wichmann, his main backup, is still down....

We need to see a great team vs Tenn....At least a more polished unit in these 2 areas...

I've yet to jump on the defense as all that and a bag of chips...I just can't get as excited as most people about it...Against the run they've yet to really shut teams down consistently and I can't make myself believe they're going to stop the passing game...I really hope I'm wrong, I just can't do the cartwheel thing just yet...Everybody can trash me all they want to, it's just a feeling that I have...Not based on any stats...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Against the run they've yet to really shut teams down consistently and I can't make myself believe they're going to stop the passing game.
I feel ya man...I do think the one big run to Murray skewed things...But still was giving up too much...like he was on the verge of breaking a big one....I actually have faith the passing defense will come around...miss EJ though...But the run defense appears to have one HUGE HOLE...right in the effing middle..and everybody wants to defend this dude cause his daddy wrestles....

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I feel ya man...I do think the one big run to Murray skewed things...But still was giving up too much...like he was on the verge of breaking a big one....I actually have faith the passing defense will come around...miss EJ though...But the run defense appears to have one HUGE HOLE...right in the effing middle..and everybody wants to defend this dude cause his daddy wrestles....
Heh I do defend JL but not because of wrestling... I totally agree with your point of being concerned with the run defense, tho. The numbers show the Rams front 7 is top-5 in the NFL, so why does it seem like they are so inconsistent stuffing the run? I would gladly trade gaudy ranking for more consistent stability and the confidence that a DeMarco Murray, Chris Johnson or whoever isn't going to rattle off 150+ in a week after we shut down the run the previous week.

The middle is a concern for me, not because of JL, but because the DL lost so much size losing K.Langford. I thought maybe Worthington would be the new anchor to plug next to Brockers on 4th and goal from the 1, but he's been hurt, so we're seeing Westbrooks and more small DT candidates. It was interesting seeing the contrast in philosophy with the Raiders size at DL v. the Rams smaller/quicker theory. I think the Rams approach is better overall and leads to a lot of home run plays from the DL, but also means we have to live with more risk. Which is why JL plays more of a center field LB role, not attacking the LOS, it's his job to read & react to plug those lanes and mitigate the harm when the DL whiffs.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
"As for what he wants to get out of the second exhibition matchup, Fisher mentioned three goals: KEEP THE PENALTIES DOWN, see the run game get going, and improve against the run defensively."

Well, that really sounds good and...

"The matchup between the Rams and Titans on Sunday will feature an extra individual on the field in stripes. As Fisher said Thursday, the league has added an eighth official for select preseason games as a way of testing whether a permanent change would work."

er...uh...nevermind.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The middle is a concern for me, not because of JL, but because the DL lost so much size losing K.Langford.
Great points F.Bot....losing Kendal was huge, he played well year 2....Speed on the interior can really work against the run if the DT's stay disciplined and stay in their assigned gaps...don't go freelancing looking for the big play...Looked to me on Murray's run, Brockers was outta position, JL filled the wrong hole...
Some of our rookie DL's looked lost...I was watching Infedi a bunch...the NEW #96 ( I thought it was Hayes at first)...he was always getting smashed in...LPT actually did okay...wanna see more...Westbrooks looks bigger...Fairley did okay...he was penetrating....but wasn't affecting the game...
I was looking at the LB from Ohio State...the lil one..#50 for the Steelers (Shazier?)...all over the fucking field...same as the dude from tampa...David...same as Kuecly...same as...see where I'm going? I don't think LB's roles really change from team to team...just expectations...Ogletree is the LB that's all over our defense now...I bet Ayers could do this as well...JL, too deep most times, out of position some times, too slow, and not physical enough at the point of attack....he was a beast in 2009-2011....he isn't the same player anymore

iced

I wish the Rams would sign Mathis, if his price comes down. Cannot count on saffold for a full season

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm not exactly sure what that meant but I do know the weather felt like southern California. It was easily the most gorgeous St. Louis weather the Rams have had in this camp with temperatures in the mid 70s.
I don't know how Wagoner holds onto his job with "Crap reporting like this!!" Look at the weather reports, 'Richard', The weather in Oxnard when the Rams were in town ranged from 95-106 degree's with high humidity! But of course I live near so I would know!
He has to pick up a News paper so he knows what to write about the Rams!!
I HAVE TO STOP READING HIM, FOR MY HEALTH!!:seizure:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
When cuts start the Rams need to watch the waiver wire, maybe load up the practice squad with OL. Saffold might last a quarter against the Seahawks.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I don't think LB's roles really change from team to team...
I think roles change based on team/scheme. Look at the highlights:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwFrMJDroD8

JL's alignment starting at 42 seconds in:

Play 1-Amari Cooper catch: the empty backfield/motion means Ayers splits wide right on the RB. JL shifts to the right on the line and contain rushes (becomes an OLB in essence). Ogletree is the MLB.

Play 2-Flip reverse to Cooper: JL in more conventional MLB alignment. I agree JL should have attacked and blown up this play, but see Ogletree is horrible -- he backpeddles 20 yards before realizing it's a run play (all the blocking and pulling OL didn't clue him in?). The scheme here calls for AO to read the pulling OL and instantly crashing the edge and JL scraping -- which is exactly what JL does. So JL does his job according to the defensive scheme, but it ends up looking like he's doing "yet another play 10 yards downfield". (Reminder- it's preseason and a trick play so not gonna panic too much, but all the LB play there is ew!)

Play 3- Tru INT. The trips formation puts AO at MLB yet again. JL is aligned in the defensive backfield, behind Joyner, basically a strong safety in this play.

So obviously not much to learn from three plays, but only one where he's an actual traditional MLB. I think scheme dictates a lot of how LBs appear -- which makes sense since the reason for someone's role in a scheme should be it's suited to the player's strengths. AO is *the guy* now, he needs to match his mental side to his freakish physical ability (amazing he still technically made the tackle on that reverse).