Rams not interested in Fitzpatrick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Free Agent
The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Browns and Rams aren't interested in free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.

With Cleveland and Los Angeles not willing to make a substantial investment in Fitzpatrick, it appears the Jets are bidding against themselves. That would seem to be why the two sides are at a "stare-down" in negotiations. Fitzpatrick wants more and is trying to find a team willing to give him more, but the Jets have no reason to up their offer until some other club gets involved. The Broncos could enter the mix, but they seem focused on Colin Kaepernick.
Related: Jets, Browns, Broncos, Rams

Source: New York Daily News
Mar 11 - 9:58 AM

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If this report is accurate, then I wonder why. Fitz is a veteran. He wouldn't be bad competition for Keenum.

Is it because he throws too many INTs? Does he want too much money? Or do they think Keenum is just as good if not better?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If this report is accurate, then I wonder why. Fitz is a veteran. He wouldn't be bad competition for Keenum.

Is it because he throws too many INTs? Does he want too much money? Or do they think Keenum is just as good if not better?
Because he costs too much money

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Free Agent
The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Browns and Rams aren't interested in free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.

With Cleveland and Los Angeles not willing to make a substantial investment in Fitzpatrick, it appears the Jets are bidding against themselves. That would seem to be why the two sides are at a "stare-down" in negotiations. Fitzpatrick wants more and is trying to find a team willing to give him more, but the Jets have no reason to up their offer until some other club gets involved. The Broncos could enter the mix, but they seem focused on Colin Kaepernick.
Related: Jets, Browns, Broncos, Rams

Source: New York Daily News
Mar 11 - 9:58 AM

Read that Kraperstink wants to go to Cleveland...Are you kidding me ??? If Denver is really inerested, would a guy choose Ceveland or Denver ??? That's a super no brainer for me...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Because he costs too much money

If that is the main reason, then why not sign him? How much does he want? How long of a contract is it? Isn't he like 31? If so he could be a serviceable QB for 3 years. That should be enough time for the Rams to find another option just in time for the new stadium to be done.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm fine with this, I mean really is Harvard any better than Keenum? If you say yes is he THAT much better than Keenum? Enough to pay the man over $12 million a season cause supposedly that's what the Jets have offered (similar to Chase Daniels deal has been reported) and Fitz scoffed at it. That's a lot of money for a bridge gap when you already have one on the roster for a quarter of the price. Our QB next season will be either Keenum, Mannion, or a rookie. I don't see any other scenario playing out here at this point in time.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If you say yes is he THAT much better than Keenum?

There in lies the question. Which is better. I would guess that since Fisher likes a ball security offense that the Fitz's penchant for int's would really scare him off. I recall Clemens int's killing the Rams..........Foles this year too.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fitzy is in another league versus Keenum. Clemens won just as many games for us as Keenum did. Foles beat the Seahawks AND Cardinals...Austin Davis won us just as many games as Keenum too...Ws and Ls are a pointless stat for a QB IMO, and especially for teams with great defenses.

Take away Keenum's record, which was padded by playing the Bucs and Lions, and he was no better than any QB we've had under Fisher. And his record was still just 3-2 if I'm not mistaken. Had he played in the Bengals and Cardinals games, it would have been 3-4, just like Clemens, Davis, and Foles.

But Fitzy still wouldn't be the answer. These are the level of QB play IMO:

Worst in the NFL - Rams the past 3 years
Below average - Fitzy without Marhsall and Decker
Average - Fitzy with Marshall and Decker
Above average
Best

The problem with Fitzy is that he, like Foles, is dependent upon good skill players...so I wouldn't go after him either. We need more.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If that is the main reason, then why not sign him? How much does he want? How long of a contract is it? Isn't he like 31? If so he could be a serviceable QB for 3 years. That should be enough time for the Rams to find another option just in time for the new stadium to be done.
He cost too much money. I would guess he wants a contract slightly under Bradford's, meanwhile the Jets want to pay him slightly over Chase Daniels contract. He is 33 and that isn't terribly old for a QB. Probably about 9$ million a year. we already have both Foles and Keenum signed to a sum of over 11$ million. Throw Fitzpatrick in there and all of the sudden we are paying 3 average QBs the total of an elite QB without gaining any of the eliteness.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I think it's all about the MONEY! And Fitzpatrick knows this is probably his last/Best shot at a BIG Pay Day!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2012 St Louis Rams QB's 60% comp, 21-14 TD to INT ratio, 3700 yards and 82.6 QBR
2013 St Louis Rams QB's 60% comp, 22-11 TD to INT ratio, 3400 yards and 84.8 QBR
2014 St Louis Rams QB's 64% comp, 20-16 TD to INT ratio, 3695 yards and 84.9 QBR

Look at Harvard's stats when not working with Chan Gailey, he doesn't put those numbers up

And he sure doesn't have Decker and Marshall

Makes sense to me the Rams aren't interested

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fitz is more of the same JAG play at QB that we've had for years. I am thrilled that the Rams are not dumb or desperate enough to think this past season's performance is indicative of some new trend for him. Way too much money for a guy who is not really different from the guys they already have.

Keenum is fine if they just suck it up and move up and get Goff. Then they have a guy who can play low-mistake ball for us worst case in Keenum while handing the ball off to Gurley, a young veteran who might make a move for the job in Mannion, and a hotrod rookie who is the future. Move Foles to Dallas who needs a backup along with some picks and the Rams have finally fixed this QB disaster.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Rams have two "vets" on the roster in Keenum and Folds why add a third in Fitzpatrick? It would be insane

All signs are pointing to moving up aggressively for that QB and with Wentz or Goff almost a lock for Cleveland that's means whichever is left and Lynch

Keenum is now the bridge QB that Folds should have been and the future belongs to either Mannion (as the Rams brass anticipated when drafting) or Wentz, Goff, or Lynch

Exciting times