Rams News: Xavier Smith Secures Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Los Angeles Rams secure their promising wide receiver Xavier Smith from the practice squad with an extended contract.

In a move signaling confidence in emerging talent, the Los Angeles Rams have secured wide receiver Xavier Smith for an extended tenure. Smith, a Florida A&M product, has demonstrated potential that the Rams organization is keen to cultivate.
Despite going undrafted in 2023, Smith's journey with the Rams began shortly thereafter, as he signed as an undrafted free agent. His preseason performances, particularly a notable 25-yard reception against the Las Vegas Raiders, underscored his capabilities and potential value to the team. Jarrett Hoffman of HBCU Sports notes this progression, highlighting Smith's swift transition from college standout to professional prospect.

Smith's initial exclusion from the Rams' final roster did not mark the end of his NFL aspirations. Instead, he embraced the role of a practice squad player, a testament to his perseverance and the Rams' recognition of his latent ability. The practice squad, often seen as a contingency reservoir, provided Smith a platform to refine his skills and remain within arm's reach of the main roster.

College Achievements and Career Goals​

Smith's collegiate accolades at Florida A&M, including three All-Conference honors and recognition from the American Football Coaches Association, paint the picture of a player with a history of excellence. His All-American status further solidifies his reputation as a formidable athlete.

The Rams' current wealth of talent at wide receiver presents both a challenge and an opportunity for Smith. As he aspires to transition from a practice squad member to securing a bench role, the path ahead is one of potential growth and significant competition. Smith's ambition to carve out a place within the Rams' ranks will require continued dedication and performance that stands out in a team already fairly loaded at his position.

Xavier Smith's contract extension with the Rams is an investment in a player whose journey from undrafted rookie to professional athlete embodies the relentless pursuit of success in the NFL.

Jeremy Hanna

Attachments

• 1714743953371.png
    1714743953371.png
    129 bytes · Views: 13
  • 1714743953392.png
    1714743953392.png
    129 bytes · Views: 13
  • 1714743953382.png
    1714743953382.png
    129 bytes · Views: 11

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now one thing for sure about Smith, his 4.38 40 time is one of the best of the WR group besides Atwell. Also Smith has PR & KR ability so if he can showcase that electricity come training camp & preseason the special teams just might just end up being special this year.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Kind of weird.

The article is dated May 2nd, and is titled Rams News: Xavier Smith Secures Extension.

Unless I missed something, that's really misleading.

Within a week of the Rams' playoff loss to Detroit in January, they signed almost their entire Practice Squad to Futures Contracts ... just like every team does, every year, right after their season ends.

Xavier Smith was one of those Practice Squad players signed to a Futures Contract 3 1/2 months ago.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kind of weird.

The article is dated May 2nd, and is titled Rams News: Xavier Smith Secures Extension.

Within a week of the Rams' playoff loss to Detroit in January, they signed almost their entire Practice Squad to Futures Contracts ... just like every team does, every year, right after their season ends.

Xavier Smith was one of those Practice Squad players signed to a Futures Contract 3 1/2 months ago.
Maybe it was meant for the local crowd, Florida A&M and other people who may follow X Smith.

Good catch. It duped me. I was thinking they signed Smith to more than just the usual practice squad deal, when I saw that he was not being mentioned with the rest of the PS players.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
It's just the standard reserve future contract. I think he is a real long shot. He will have to prove himself on special teams to have any shot at making the final 53.

A lot of these camp guys only get a real chance if there are major injuries. Rams are stacked at WR and almost every year there are some intriguing guys that will flash a little in preseason but fail to make the squad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's just the standard reserve future contract. I think he is a real long shot. He will have to prove himself on special teams to have any shot at making the final 53.
With the addition of Boston Scott, it makes it even more difficult as Scott has experience as both a KR & PR plus 6th round pick Jordan Whittington will be given an opportunity as a return man, but I do like Smith over the slow time gang in Stoops, Laap & Wiglusz.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Kind of weird.

A bunch of different sites reported on this between April 28th and today.

One reported it as "new terms/extension." Maybe they gave him a slight raise? Regardless, this does suggest that his contract was adjusted somehow within the last week.

Details sure are skimpy though...

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
A bunch of different sites reported on this between April 28th and today.

One reported it as "new terms/extension." Maybe they gave him a slight raise? Regardless, this does suggest that his contract was adjusted somehow within the last week.

Details sure are skimpy though...
Possible but the two cap sites have not up-dated Smith's contract.

Another suggestion is simply that there's just a lot of weak-ass sports sites and reporting.

Guess we'll see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Now one thing for sure about Smith, his 4.38 40 time is one of the best of the WR group besides Atwell. Also Smith has PR & KR ability so if he can showcase that electricity come training camp & preseason the special teams just might just end up being special this year.
Given the returner need we have had for some time now, and the fact he hasn't so much as sniffed an opportunity... I see this as largely a non-story.

Feels almost like his mother or representation is running a PR campaign here. So why don't you start by winning a role kid. Not like we're stacked in those areas of responsibility.

Also he came out and complained about Sanders and how he cut him. Which honestly does not surprise me. Deion is arrogant, so of course he's an arrogant coach. But it makes me wonder if Xavier is a bit sensitive. Cuts are part of the game. Coaches are gonna decide you're not good enough and not try to get to know you. Difference in him and most here is it happened to him in college vice high school.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Some drama from Smith at CU

Given the returner need we have had for some time now, and the fact he hasn't so much as sniffed an opportunity... I see this as largely a non-story.

Feels almost like his mother or representation is running a PR campaign here. So why don't you start by winning a role kid. Not like we're stacked in those areas of responsibility.

Also he came out and complained about Sanders and how he cut him. Which honestly does not surprise me. Deion is arrogant, so of course he's an arrogant coach. But it makes me wonder if Xavier is a bit sensitive. Cuts are part of the game. Coaches are gonna decide you're not good enough and not try to get to know you. Difference in him and most here is it happened to him in college vice high school.

I do believe that that is a different Xavier Smith. That one is a Safety who played for Colorado, while ours is a WR who played for Florida AM

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I do believe that that is a different Xavier Smith. That one is a Safety who played for Colorado, while ours is a WR who played for Florida AM

There’s absolutely no way I want Shedeur next year. Absolutely toxic and immature; makes Cam Newton look like a model citizen.

Just means that Ewers is likely going number one. Him or Luther Burden III.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

It wasn’t this Xavier Smith that complained about Sandes, it was a different guy with the same name.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It wasn’t this Xavier Smith that complained about Sandes, it was a different guy with the same name.
My error was previously exposed by Hitstick in the thread above Den. So thank you for playing "let's correct Merlin's laziness." I have done this twice today, btw, which I blame on going into town to get my tires done. It's weak I realize. But what the hell. :laugh3:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
btw, which I blame on going into town to get my tires done. It's weak I realize. But what the hell. :laugh3:
Well, there is so much riding on your tires.