Rams News Recap: May 6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
With 45 Private Workouts, Rams are Ready for Draft’s Uncertainty –PD
Since arriving in 2012, Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have used the weeks leading up to the NFL draft to check out a number of players in private workouts.

Strauss: Rams play it close as rumors run wild –PD
The best and worst thing about this year’s NFL draft is the absolute lack of certainty. The process piles smokescreens atop misdirection with everything as fair game.

Publicly, at Least, Rams still Standing by Sam –PD
Jeff Fisher did his best to turn the thermostat down a couple of notches on “Johnny Football” fever.

Rams admit that Manziel can ball-but the Rams are Bradford’s Team –FSMW
Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have heard the rumors, too. The Rams’ head coach and general manager met with the media Tuesday for their annual pre-draft press conference and addressed some of the rumors that have made the rounds recently, including that they are looking to trade quarterback Sam Bradford and select a QB on Thursday.

Jim Thomas Rams Chat Highlights: May 6

Bernie Bytes: The Rams and Manziel Mania
It’s been fun to watch all the hullabaloo over the Rams and Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. If you follow the Rams you’ve probably been keeping up with the circus.

Rams Pre-Draft Press Conference –Video

Jeff Fisher: Rams Not Shopping Sam Bradford –NFL.com
The St. Louis Rams know all about the Johnny Manziel conversation out there. They might even be the ones helping to stoke the fire.

Rams Stand by Bradford, Leave Wiggle Room –Wagoner
As so often happens during draft week, rumors and speculation have moved to a different stratosphere and the St. Louis Rams’ potential interest in Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is at the eye of the storm.

Gordon: Rams Like Manziel, Bradford, Many Others
There is a clear consensus on which players should go at the top of the NFL Draft. There is pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney, a once-in-a-decade defender. There are two elite offensive tackles, Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews.

Mike Sando On Whether Sam Bradford Remains the Long-Term QB for the Rams –Radio Interviews

Jeff Fisher and Les Snead: Pre-Draft Press Conference

What Is the Rams’ Plan At Quarterback? –ESPN Video

Laurinaitis: ‘We gotta figure out how to win those close games’ –Video

Rams QB Intrigue Builds as Draft Nears –Gordon
Pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney is the best athlete in the NFL Draft. Offensive tackles could dominate the top of this draft, as it was last year.

Some Quick Thoughts on Rams and Manziel –Wagoner
Later today, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead will speak to the media as they hold their annual pre-draft press conference.

Morning Ram-blings: A QB in the First? –Wagoner

What Will Les Snead do in the 2014 NFL Draft? --Video

Bill Polian on Finalizing A Draft Board –Video

Kiper and McShay’s Stock Up, Stock Down for the NFL Draft –Video

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Morning Ram-blings: NFL Nation mock
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8142/morning-ram-blings-nfl-nation-mock

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- On Tuesday afternoon, I joined my 31 NFL Nation colleagues in participating in our mock draft.

The mock draft allowed for trades and was predicated on what we think the teams we cover will do rather than what we should do. The results, with a surprise at the top, allowed for a some curveballs.

We discussed each pick in the chat and I offered some explanations for my rationale behind taking Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson and Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald with picks 2 and 13, respectively, there.

But to clear things up, here's a few leftover thoughts on each pick:

The Rams could go a lot of different ways at No. 2 with Robinson, Texas A&M's Jake Matthews and Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins among the options. And yes, Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel would fit into that mix as well. But ultimately, I believe the Rams, if they can't make a trade and Jadeveon Clowney is off the board, will take Robinson. He's the type of hammer they'd love to add to their smash mouth offensive ideology and could become the long-term answer at left tackle after spending a season at guard (or right tackle). The Rams ran the ball well for most of the season in 2013 but they struggled mightily against the stout defenses of Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona in three road trips at the end of the year. Having Robinson should help them take on those physical defenses.
With the Donald pick, it simply was a matter of taking the player that was the best player on the board and too much value to pass on. But also, just because the perception is there that the Rams don't need a defensive tackle, they've showed a ton of interest in the position in the run up to the draft. They would particularly like to have a three-technique who can get after the quarterback. Donald fits the bill and would add a whole new element to an already excellent defensive line.
For the record, I don't expect Donald to fall to 13. I'll have more thoughts on more realistic possibilities on Thursday.
No, those two picks aren't sexy, they might not draw rave reviews or grades and I would personally take Watkins at 2 and roll the dice that a top tackle is there at 13 (Notre Dame's Zack Martin was the only one available in this scenario). But this is the NFC West division. Win the line of scrimmage or die trying.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Tuesday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we began the day with a look at the wisdom in using a first-round pick on a quarterback to have a chance at exercising the fifth-year option on one. ... Next, we continued our prospect profiles with a look at Mizzou running back Henry Josey. ... In the second to last part of the draft preview series, we turned our attention to the group of safeties. ... After that, I provided some quick hit thoughts on the Rams and quarterback Johnny Manziel. ... After the Rams pre-draft news conference, I offered the thoughts of the Rams' decision makers on Manziel and Bradford.

Elsewhere:

Good read from David Fleming on Manziel's image rehabilitation via Instagram.

At 101sports.com, Chris Mortensen discusses the Manziel to the Rams rumors.

In the same corner of cyberspace, Randy Karraker makes the case for the Rams to take Watkins.

At stltoday.com, columnist Bryan Burwell writes the Rams must go with a tackle not a quarterback.

Bernie Miklasz weighs in on Manziel-Mania.

Former Ram Marshall Faulk picked Manziel and Martin with the two Rams picks in the NFL Network mock draft.

NFL.com names Snead as one of seven general managers under pressure going into the draft.