Rams New Defensive Backfield

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
CB1 Ramsey
CB2 Hill
Slot NRC
S1 Weddle
S2 Rapp
S3 Christian

Wanted to talk about these guys as a group and move past the Ramsey focus, and have thrown up some nice color codes for you mouth breathers. :p

When I compare this group to what we had this last weekend, it is stronger at the top. Ramsey's questions (duration he'll be in horns and his behavior) aside, he is going to give Wade his coveted man coverage ability. And I think under this staff he might become a better player too, as Wade continues to coach him up by working him on his zone game. Whether it works long term or how long who knows but this year we should have a top corner to help this defense turn the corner.

Hill is very interesting at CB2. While he's a cut below the others (he has shown flashes in the past) Wade seems to really be happy with his development and his recent play has been good. So he might be underrated in terms of what he can provide, which IMO is he is going to play the call. He is going to bring consistency and discipline in being where he should be, basically.

With NRC rounding out the group and if Hill just brings consistency, this is suddenly a respectable group of corners.

At safety I think Weddle is still finding that line with Wade. In other words while I value his experience and all that I suspect he has to get to that point still where he and Wade understand how much he can freelance and change things and when. But he's smart and I think his best ball is ahead in this defense. Then you have Rapp who I think is going to improve going forward. If we had JJ damn... I'd be looking at this group and thinking "there is no way these guys don't ball the F out." Christian is the liability but tbh if that's where your weak link is you have yourself a pretty fine group.

And we're probably gonna get Talib back for the playoffs if this team survives the season and gets in. He's not elite any more but him added to this group gives them a great deal of flexibility.

My expectation here looks homer as hell. I know. But by God I am excited to see what this defense can do if these guys sort quickly.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think were in for a battle for a wild card w/ NFC East. Can 3 teams come out from the west this season? I wanted Ramsey since his college days, he's legit stud.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hill has a Jekyll and Hyde-esque consistency; hopefully getting starting reps will improve his play. I expect David Long to take the CB2 spot if things go south in Atlanta while Talib recovers

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I think were in for a battle for a wild card w/ NFC East. Can 3 teams come out from the west this season? I wanted Ramsey since his college days, he's legit stud.

No way the East sends two teams. It'll be the West and South.

oldnotdead

Legend
Hill has shown he isn't a press man coverage CB. He's strictly a zone CB. He lacks the burst to make a play on the ball. He lacks the length you want as a boundary CB. He's played enough to know what you are getting with him. He's a decent backup but he's not a starter at this point.

They got Ramsey for one reason. To lock down the opposition's best receiver. This fits Wade's preferred scheme. David Long is a press man coverage CB who was drafted specifically to replace Talib next year. I expect and I hope they play him opposite Ramsey. This will give them two fast CB's playing press man with a single high safety probably to shade Long over the top. This will force the QB to hold the ball, in the face of AD and Fowler or to try to dump off quickly.

The unspoken impact of the Ramsey signing is the mentor-ship he will provide for David Long. David Long's playing style is much like that of Ramsey. He doesn't have that lightning in a bottle that Ramsey does, but he's got good speed and length for a boundary CB. If David can learn quickly from Ramsey, the Rams could end up with two of the best CB's in the league.

This one acquisition should change the dynamic of the defense. I don't get this fascination with Christian who is a marginal safety, lacking range or the burst to close. I hope they play Weddle and Rapp. Rapp is an instinctive player much like Weddle. He reads quickly and generally correctly.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
They'll be fine.

No team has studs both corner spots. Jalen and NRC alone are better than what most teams have. Troy Hill will be on the #2 WR and usually that will be an even matchup.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm more worried about losing JJ3 than Peters. Peter's was more of a liability than anything, might be better off with hill playing instead of him .

Rapp was a high pick, let's see what hes all about.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
CB1 Ramsey
CB2 Hill
Slot NRC
S1 Weddle
S2 Rapp
S3 Christian

Wanted to talk about these guys as a group and move past the Ramsey focus, and have thrown up some nice color codes for you mouth breathers. :p

When I compare this group to what we had this last weekend, it is stronger at the top. Ramsey's questions (duration he'll be in horns and his behavior) aside, he is going to give Wade his coveted man coverage ability. And I think under this staff he might become a better player too, as Wade continues to coach him up by working him on his zone game. Whether it works long term or how long who knows but this year we should have a top corner to help this defense turn the corner.

Hill is very interesting at CB2. While he's a cut below the others (he has shown flashes in the past) Wade seems to really be happy with his development and his recent play has been good. So he might be underrated in terms of what he can provide, which IMO is he is going to play the call. He is going to bring consistency and discipline in being where he should be, basically.

With NRC rounding out the group and if Hill just brings consistency, this is suddenly a respectable group of corners.

At safety I think Weddle is still finding that line with Wade. In other words while I value his experience and all that I suspect he has to get to that point still where he and Wade understand how much he can freelance and change things and when. But he's smart and I think his best ball is ahead in this defense. Then you have Rapp who I think is going to improve going forward. If we had JJ damn... I'd be looking at this group and thinking "there is no way these guys don't ball the F out." Christian is the liability but tbh if that's where your weak link is you have yourself a pretty fine group.

And we're probably gonna get Talib back for the playoffs if this team survives the season and gets in. He's not elite any more but him added to this group gives them a great deal of flexibility.

My expectation here looks homer as hell. I know. But by God I am excited to see what this defense can do if these guys sort quickly.
I'd rather you be a homer than the opposite;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They'll be fine.

No team has studs both corner spots. Jalen and NRC alone are better than what most teams have. Troy Hill will be on the #2 WR and usually that will be an even matchup.

Jacksonville did with Ramsey and Bouye. Denver did in 16’.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Christian is terrible. I’d rather see what Howard can do. Hopefully he gets some reps.

The safety position is weaker without JJ. Rapp is young and Weddle is old. Weddle is a bit of a letdown imo, but we knew he has slowed down in recent years. I wasn’t a fan of the signing for that reason and I don’t see how he gets any better. He cannot take off the years.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Christian is terrible. I’d rather see what Howard can do. Hopefully he gets some reps.

The safety position is weaker without JJ. Rapp is young and Weddle is old. Weddle is a bit of a letdown imo, but we knew he has slowed down in recent years. I wasn’t a fan of the signing for that reason and I don’t see how he gets any better. He cannot take off the years.
I wouldnt say disappointment. He's made a lot of great plays in the open field and does a good job getting the defense set up. One of JJs interceptions is due to him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@Merlin I am not all that concerned with our CB unit. Ramsey, Hill, NRC, Williams & Long should be able to hold their own & produce some big plays.

It's the safeties that are my biggest concern. Having McVay mentioning Marqui Christian as our replacement for starter JJ III will sink us & be a major weak link in both run & pass defense. I rather see SS Jake Gervase or FS Nick Scott on the field if they will not utilize our top draft selection this past draft Taylor Rapp. Just real stupid IMO to not insert TR in @ Strong Safety & let him play instead of just using him in the big Nickel.

I fully understand the importance of Rapp in the BIG Nickel but not now since we have 3 new starting DB's. Since Wade/Barry have had big problems @ MLB'er this entire 2019 season with Kiser/ Hager & now Reader.....I would just temporarily move Cory Littleton back into his old starting post & utilize Travin Howard in Littleton's position. Later after the bye then test drive Kenny Young in @ LB'er & see how that goes. Bottom line here ex safety Howard can play Rapp's Big Nickle position until further notice!

The Falcon's game plan this Sunday.... Matt Ryan will run it all day to where #26 is at. Ryan will throw every pass to whomever #26 is trying to cover....instant completion! Big Win for the Falcons results.

KEEP Marqui Christian off the field AMAP!(n):censored:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They'll be fine.

Yeah I see Hill as the wildcard. If he plays well they could use him in doubles vs top weapons and smother the other teams' #2 with Ramsey. If not he'll be on their #2 and might need help. This is a great opportunity for him either way, so I hope he takes advantage.

Also Long should also factor in, at least in terms of being able to sniff the field now. If I'm him, right now I am pumped that there's a chance I can get out there. Sure would be nice to see him pushing for time.

IMO we should see our secondary improve over the next three games in their consistency. I expect less blown coverages, less big plays, and less allowance of uncontested short routes.

Ram65

Legend
CB1 Ramsey
CB2 Hill
Slot NRC
S1 Weddle
S2 Rapp
S3 Christian

What a quick change in personnel. Losing Talib is one thing but, adding the loss of will JJ is hard to overcome. Most teams losing their best CB and Safety would be in big trouble. This is who the Rams go with. It would be nice to see Long get some snaps. I'm not sure if he can overtake Hill this year even if he will be better someday. If Rams do get Talib back late they will be a top secondary. Looking to see how Wade plays this group.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
... and we will have Jalen and Long Island eventually.

I hope that you are right. Long Island sounds better than Regis Island. Usually a guy like Regis, Ramsey, Harris, or any other top corner is pretty good right out of the gate. Maybe it's just McVay being cautious but I really hoped to see Long getting reps already. Rapp showed he belonged already. I'm a little worried about Long at this point. He looks more like a slot corner to me.