Rams Nation can breathe easier with Fisher on board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted Jan. 13, 2012 @ 3:46 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/13/rams-nation-can-breathe-easier-with-fisher-on-boar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... er-on-boar</a>

[pfw]1389647465001[/pfw]

Rams Nation can stop sweating. Jeff Fisher, widely proclaimed the "Belle of the Ball" on this year's head-coaching carousel, finally decided Friday to return to the head-coaching ranks as the new Rams head coach. Fisher's hiring ended an intriguing week-long drama, as observers leaguewide woke up Friday morning having no real clue as to whether the former Titans/Oilers head coach for 17 seasons would choose the Rams, armed with the No. 2 overall pick in the upcoming draft and a ton of cap money to boot, or the Dolphins, whose owner, Steven Ross, reportedly was willing to pay Fisher up to $8 million annually to come to South Beach.

Fisher interviewed with Rams owner Stan Kroenke one week ago and toured Rams Park last Sunday. But upon leaving town, he made it clear that he was torn between St. Louis and Miami and ended up taking an entire week to make sure that his next job met all of his requirements to a tee, both in terms of money and power. Some resentment was starting to build in St. Louis as the week wore on, as Rams fans, already feeling betrayed following baseball star Albert Pujols' exit to Anaheim, were getting tired of waiting for Fisher to make up his mind. But owner Stan Kroenke's ultimate one-upmanship of Ross should make any hard feelings quickly disappear.

The PFW Spin

Although the Rams had come up with some very interesting alternative candidates lined up like Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinksi and Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, there was never any question that Fisher, a rock-solid proven commodity, offered the best solution for a franchise in dire need of a steady hand at the top. The upgrade from Steve Spagnuolo, who never quite measured up, as evidenced by his terrible 10-38 record in three seasons at the helm, to Fisher, who compiled a 142-120 record with Tennessee/Houston that included a 23-16 loss to the Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV among six postseason appearances, is considerable.

What should really excite Rams fans is Fisher's supposed plan to put together a "rock star" coaching staff possibly including the likes of Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and former Cardinals head coach Dave McGinnis, who both worked with Fisher in Tennessee. After being forced to put up with weekly coaching efforts this season that earned consistent "F" grades from the top on down — the jobs turned in by offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, offensive line coach Steve Loney and special-teams coach Tom McMahon were particularly putrid — a high-quality coaching staff will send a strong message to the Rams' competition.

But Fisher and a great staff alone is not going to turn around a Rams team with personnel that overall must be considered inferior to that of the other teams in the NFC West, in great part because of the lackluster drafting that has hamstrung the Rams for the past decade. Enter the next GM, an important hire that is guaranteed now to have Fisher's firm fingerprints all over it. With the news of Fisher's hiring still hot off the presses, it's not a stretch to conclude that either Titans VP of football operations Lake Dawson or Titans VP of player personnel Ruston Webster have become the front-runners among the eight reported GM candidates, considering their prior history with the Rams' new boss man.

Dawson is one of three GM candidates to have been interviewed by the Rams at this writing, along with Falcons director of player personnel Les Snead and Eagles director of player personnel Ryan Grigson, who subsequently was hired as the new GM in Indianapolis. Others in the running include Webster, Cardinals director of player personnel Steve Keim, Jets vice president of college scouting Joey Clinkscales, Dolphins director of player personnel Brian Gaine and Colts director of player personnel Tom Telesco.

As far as the money Fisher will be receiving, there was never any question that Kroenke had the financial resources to outbid Ross if it came to that. The best guess among league observers is that the $7 million per year that Pete Carroll is bringing down with the Seahawks is a parameter that came into play.

On the field, Fisher's offensive m.o. is a power running game that sets up an efficient play-action passing game — a style that sets up well for three-time Pro Bowl RB Steven Jackson and QB Sam Bradford, who should benefit from a system that won't be as complicated as the one McDaniels employed. If Williams is indeed the apple of Fisher's eye for the defensive coordinator job, an aggressive, gambling system featuring multiple looks and disguised coverages could be in the offing.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>If Williams is indeed the apple of Fisher's eye for the defensive coordinator job, an aggressive, gambling system featuring multiple looks and disguised coverages could be in the offing.<<

Well that certainy didn't work out well today, did it? :bummed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not so much. It was a defensive battle deep into the 3rd quarter, and then all hell broke loose. I think the 49ers were like 2 for 12 on third downs at one point, so I dunno what to think about him. I do know that's a very aggressive and (usually) opportunistic defense though. So... I guess we'll see if he's even brought in for an interview this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Let's be honest. The Saints scored a lot of points on an excellent 49'er defense and the Pats are lighting up the vaunted Broncos defense. It's playmakers that make plays. Couldn't stop any of these top tight ends. That's all it is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Let's be honest. The Saints scored a lot of points on an excellent 49'er defense and the Pats are lighting up the vaunted Broncos defense. It's playmakers that make plays. Couldn't stop any of these top tight ends. That's all it is.
Pretty much. Once you get in the playoffs, it's hard to keep a team out of the endzone. And, yeah, like I said, the Saints were doing a good job until late in the game. That's typically when touchdowns start coming a little easier. I've always liked the way Williams has that team flying around and making plays. I wouldn't necessarily mind it if he was brought in. Just seems to me that our D is built a little differently than that. What's your take on that?

Anonymous

X said:
DR RAM said:
Pretty much. Once you get in the playoffs, it's hard to keep a team out of the endzone. And, yeah, like I said, the Saints were doing a good job until late in the game. That's typically when touchdowns start coming a little easier. I've always liked the way Williams has that team flying around and making plays. I wouldn't necessarily mind it if he was brought in. Just seems to me that our D is built a little differently than that. What's your take on that?

The Rams D isn't finished yet (in terms of talent) but has the potential to be far better than the Saints D.

I mean. Who do the Saints have. Anyone?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
The offense turned the ball over 5 times.....so considering you are right.

They are faster it seems, but he's a pretty innovative guy, like Spags in that sense. He would do whatever it took, and he does like to gamble, but he'll also drop a million guys into coverage. We need all our DB's and another Safety. I don't know if he's THE GUY, but I'm pretty flexible on the DC. I will trust Fisher, because he's a pretty bright defensive guy. I think he'll bring the right guy in.

We need some players, a couple new safeties, possibly two new linebackers, although it may be controversial, I'd consider sliding JL to the weak side, and playing Hull in the middle, that would save one pickup for us, and I know JL would still be a playmaker for us. And then obviously we need a revamped interior defensive line, wouldn't be surprised if that is a HUGE priority this offseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know how I feel about Hull moving to the inside. I know where you're going with that though. He's a pretty good hitter, and it would be an immediate upgrade on the outside. However, do we know enough about Hull to think he's as cerebral as Laurinaitis? Or are you suggesting Laurinaitis captain the defense from OLB?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
I don't know how I feel about Hull moving to the inside. I know where you're going with that though. He's a pretty good hitter, and it would be an immediate upgrade on the outside. However, do we know enough about Hull to think he's as cerebral as Laurinaitis? Or are you suggesting Laurinaitis captain the defense from OLB?
He's a way bigger thumper than JL, and I can only assume that he can't play the SLB, I wanted to see him there... What I'm doing is playing a numbers game. We need a lot of players. I don't think it would be unprecedented to call plays from there, but not ideal at all. Hull's a smart guy, he's probably called plays his whole life. I realize that it will never happen though, it's just something that I would look at. We need to find players within the team that were missed by our former staff and we need to utilize them, or we will be in total rebuild mode again. Maybe we can't avoid it, but I'd try.

I can't identify a lot of Hull's on this team. Guys that I think can play, but didn't get a chance. We are pretty thin behind our starters in my opinion, we might have a couple developmental guys, but that's it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:

Yeah, Davis really took over that game in the 4th quarter.

steferfootball

Starter
DR RAM said:
Or Brady burning 2 minutes of clock in the pocket each dropback. Mardy Gilyard could get open in 2 minutes. :cheese:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
steferfootball said:
DR RAM said:
Or Brady burning 2 minutes of clock in the pocket each dropback. Mardy Gilyard could get open in 2 minutes. :cheese:
CRAZY time to throw.