Rams' McVay: Akers to be 'central figure in this offense'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your standard is one of the best rbs to ever play the game and if a rb isn't as good as that he's no good? That's a pretty warped sense of standard.

No, my standard is the same. Just because the Rams lowered their standards by not getting 1st round RB's who can do what I said, which is taking control of the game by grinding out a win, isn't my fault
Todd Gurley, selected 10th Overall.
Steven Jackson, selected 24th Overall.
Marshall Faulk, selected 2nd overall (Colts)
Lawrence Phillips, selected 6th overall
Jerome Bettis, selected 10th overall
Eric Dickerson, selected 2nd overall.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No, my standard is the same. Just because the Rams lowered their standards by not getting 1st round RB's who can do what I said, which is taking control of the game by grinding out a win, isn't my fault
Todd Gurley, selected 10th Overall.
Steven Jackson, selected 24th Overall.
Marshall Faulk, selected 2nd overall (Colts)
Lawrence Phillips, selected 6th overall
Jerome Bettis, selected 10th overall
Eric Dickerson, selected 2nd overall.
So.. they shouldn't have traded for Ramsey?
Stafford?

I don't know about you.. I liked winning the Super Bowl. That seems like a good standard to have.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Akers is still on his rookie contract and has shown the ability to be very successful at the NFL level.

Not sure why people would want the Rams to not use the guy who is, obviously, their best running back.

His best season he's ever had in his career, he had 780 yards rushing and averaged 4.2 yards per carry. That type production is easily replaceable. After this season, he'll be a RFA so at best, he'll have one more season with us after this.

We won't know if Kyren Williams and Zack Evans are better options if they don't get to play.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So.. they shouldn't have traded for Ramsey?
Stafford?

I don't know about you.. I liked winning the Super Bowl. That seems like a good standard to have.
We won the Super Bowl without Cam. We won a Super Bowl with/ because of Marshall Faulk, so we have an example either way.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
His best season he's ever had in his career, he had 780 yards rushing and averaged 4.2 yards per carry. That type production is easily replaceable. After this season, he'll be a RFA so at best, he'll have one more season with us after this.

We won't know if Kyren Williams and Zack Evans are better options if they don't get to play.
He averaged 4.2 yards a carry and finished the year with 3 straight 100 yard games.

The guy who coached his position did such a bad job, he was booted during the season. How often have you seen that from McVay?

Neither of those guys have done *ANYTHING* in the NFL.

All that being said... if someone beats Akers? Then it's their job. But... no.. I'm not pushing Akers aside to develop someone.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
We won the Super Bowl without Cam. We won a Super Bowl with/ because of Marshall Faulk, so we have an example either way.

No, that's not the comparison.

You have to make decisions to build rosters. In Cam's draft year, the Rams used their first rounder to draft a RB. You would've preferred that over Ramsey?

Oh.. the best RB in that class.. by far.. .was taken in the 2nd round.

It's a different NFL... and nowhere near as many RBs are taken in the first round anymore.

Cam is a good RB.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, that's not the comparison.

You have to make decisions to build rosters. In Cam's draft year, the Rams used their first rounder to draft a RB. You would've preferred that over Ramsey?

Oh.. the best RB in that class.. by far.. .was taken in the 2nd round.

It's a different NFL... and nowhere near as many RBs are taken in the first round anymore.

Cam is a good RB.
Why not? You jumped to my not wanting Ramsey or Stafford when I said I wanted a great RB, which I never said. So I looked toward a Rams team with a great RB that won a Super Bowl. GSOT offense would rip up the NFL today, because it's not archaic to have a weapon on any offense that can run and receive for more than 2000 yards in a season (Marshall). And Marshall wasn't unique because Ladanian Thomlinson did during the same time frame.

BTW....if Gurley had been his normal self, there is no way we lose to the Patriots in the other Super Bowl.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why not? You jumped to my not wanting Ramsey or Stafford when I said I wanted a great RB, which I never said. So I looked toward a Rams team with a great RB that won a Super Bowl. GSOT offense would rip up the NFL today, because it's not archaic to have a weapon on any offense that can run and receive for more than 2000 yards in a season (Marshall). And Marshall wasn't unique because Ladanian Thomlinson did during the same time frame.

BTW....if Gurley had been his normal self, there is no way we lose to the Patriots in the other Super Bowl.
I didn't say you didn't want them.

I said you have to make decisions when you build a roster.

I think you may be right about Gurley and the Super Bowl.. but feel even more strongly that having a healthy Kupp would've meant a win.

I like great RBs. I'm a Rams fan.

I'm just not going to put some false qualifier on the guys they draft... like, if they weren't taken in the first, the Rams don't prioritize the position.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say you didn't want them.

I said you have to make decisions when you build a roster.

I think you may be right about Gurley and the Super Bowl.. but feel even more strongly that having a healthy Kupp would've meant a win.

I like great RBs. I'm a Rams fan.

I'm just not going to put some false qualifier on the guys they draft... like, if they weren't taken in the first, the Rams don't prioritize the position.
I think you're wrong.

IF you prioritize the position you try to take the best, not settling for a 2nd round RB. Or in Marshall's case, you make a deal of the century in a trade for him. Look, I want Cam to be good, but expecting him to get first downs when we have to eat clock in important games is not unreasonable. I haven't seen him doing anything consistent in that way. I think Dickerson, Bettis, Faulk, Jackson and a healthy Gurley could be relied on for doing that. A strong running game has always been the Rams way.

Yes, Kupp and a healthy Gurley would have ensured a blowout in that game. Kupp is special, but so was Gurley.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think Cam’s success will hinge more on our OL. If they’re revitalized and more physical this year, which I fully expect, he’s more than capable of exploiting it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Cam’s success will hinge more on our OL. If they’re revitalized and more physical this year, which I fully expect, he’s more than capable of exploiting it.
We all hope so.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
He averaged 4.2 yards a carry and finished the year with 3 straight 100 yard games.

The guy who coached his position did such a bad job, he was booted during the season. How often have you seen that from McVay?

Neither of those guys have done *ANYTHING* in the NFL.

All that being said... if someone beats Akers? Then it's their job. But... no.. I'm not pushing Akers aside to develop someone.

agree to disagree, have a good one

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Throw him the ball 4-7 times a game! Get him some easy space to work with instead of being one dimensional in the run game. With his contact balance he should be trouble to bring down in 1 on 1 scenarios.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Can Akers=JAG.
I don't think Cam's a JAG. He's better than average as far as guys on a regular roster at this level he just can't stay healthy.

Now does he stay healthy in a contract season? I'd hope so. Figure we'll get all he's got either way which might be really good on the production front... If he stays healthy.

There's also a chance he mopes around if things don't go his way though. So either way I've always liked Cam but after last year I honestly don't trust him. And I don't trust our depth either. Looks like more of the same to me but hoping to see that room have a great year collectively.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Cam's a JAG. He's better than average as far as guys on a regular roster at this level he just can't stay healthy.

Now does he stay healthy in a contract season? I'd hope so. Figure we'll get all he's got either way which might be really good on the production front... If he stays healthy.

There's also a chance he mopes around if things don't go his way though. So either way I've always liked Cam but after last year I honestly don't trust him. And I don't trust our depth either. Looks like more of the same to me but hoping to see that room have a great year collectively.
Cam hater!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cam hater!
Merlin us more of a Big Doubter & always has been.

I was calling out Cam Akers last season,because he had no passion & came into camp out of shape.
Last season was what it was. I moment of Truth. Sean Mcvay Trust him,so truth is he will be ready to roll.For all the wrongs,I can give a positive.
The Rams have a nice group of RB’s & The Rams blocking upfront should be way better than last season.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Making Cam Akers the center of this offense? We are some hurtin pups. He is a side piece at best. Rotate him with the other guys. If he doesn’t like it tough, he’s not good enough to miss at all.