Rams' McVay: Akers to be 'central figure in this offense'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think you're wrong.

IF you prioritize the position you try to take the best, not settling for a 2nd round RB. Or in Marshall's case, you make a deal of the century in a trade for him. Look, I want Cam to be good, but expecting him to get first downs when we have to eat clock in important games is not unreasonable. I haven't seen him doing anything consistent in that way. I think Dickerson, Bettis, Faulk, Jackson and a healthy Gurley could be relied on for doing that. A strong running game has always been the Rams way.

Yes, Kupp and a healthy Gurley would have ensured a blowout in that game. Kupp is special, but so was Gurley.
I think he can be, with a functional offense and Oline.
The interior of the Rams line has been weak in the run game the last few seasons, is that Akers' fault? Of course not.

Either way, I think considering a 2nd round draft pick RB "settling" in this era is misguided. Again.. Johnathan Taylor was taken in the second round that year. Derrick Henry was a second round pick.. Nick Chubb was a second round pick.

The value of RBs in the draft has trended downward. That means guys you would've picked in the first years ago are lasting until the second round now.

That's just the NFL today.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he can be, with a functional offense and Oline.
The interior of the Rams line has been weak in the run game the last few seasons, is that Akers' fault? Of course not.

Either way, I think considering a 2nd round draft pick RB "settling" in this era is misguided. Again.. Johnathan Taylor was taken in the second round that year. Derrick Henry was a second round pick.. Nick Chubb was a second round pick.

The value of RBs in the draft has trended downward. That means guys you would've picked in the first years ago are lasting until the second round now.

That's just the NFL today.
*shrugs.

Good thing @hotanez agrees with me!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Making Cam Akers the center of this offense? We are some hurtin pups. He is a side piece at best. Rotate him with the other guys. If he doesn’t like it tough, he’s not good enough to miss at all.
I will say he was right about being pissed that Henderson was getting as many carries as he was. That was some dumb shit. The bigger problem is that he might be mentally about done with this team and offense.

But for the record I think he's good enough to be featured, so we'll have to disagree on that front. In fact he's the only back that might be true about on our roster in terms of being capable of carrying the load for the offense. The others I doubt very much in that respect, they're all change of pace types to my eye. But Cam's a guy who can take over a game when the line gives him some breathing room. Henderson was not. The rest of these guys we'll see though hopefully Cam stays healthy.

*shrugs.

Good thing @hotanez agrees with me!
Fuckin' right! I agree with you too @Loyal!
~ Fish

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will say he was right about being pissed that Henderson was getting as many carries as he was. That was some dumb shit. The bigger problem is that he might be mentally about done with this team and offense.

But for the record I think he's good enough to be featured, so we'll have to disagree on that front. In fact he's the only back that might be true about on our roster in terms of being capable of carrying the load for the offense. The others I doubt very much in that respect, they're all change of pace types to my eye. But Cam's a guy who can take over a game when the line gives him some breathing room. Henderson was not. The rest of these guys we'll see though hopefully Cam stays healthy.

Fuckin' right! I agree with you too @Loyal!
~ Fish
You bastid! ~ Spags

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He has to be super motivated, if he has a bad year his NFL career is most likely over
train
Yeah, a bad year likely results in a one year prove it deal at best for him. He should be motivated to give his all. After the issue last year I have to wonder how motivated a guy he really is. Is he We Not Me? Hopefully them moving on from Henderson shows him they can be committed to him if he reciprocates.

Flint

Pro Bowler
McVay’s been talking about running it better for a while now but it looks like he might mean it this time. They ram it with Gurley cuz he was a big time weapon and a threat to take any touch to the house, plus McVay didn’t trust Goff totally. Now I think he would like to run it effectively again. Last year the line was a mess and Stafford got his brains beat in, I think he would like to take the pressure off Stafford and run the ball which could also keep the defense on the sideline. As young as the defense is they’re bound to make mistakes.
The nfl might also be coming back around to running the football, the Eagles, Ravens and 9ers and showing you can be successful doing it again.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Decent RB with some untapped upside who has trouble holding onto the ball at times.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Cam Akers is an above average JAG that gets nicked up until he proves otherwise. Reason I can say this is because there are more than a handful of other NFL RBs I'd take over him as better. Prove us wrong Cam, I dare ya lol

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Akers is still on his rookie contract and has shown the ability to be very successful at the NFL level.

Not sure why people would want the Rams to not use the guy who is, obviously, their best running back.

I’m certainly NOT for giving up on him before a game is even played, but KW and ZE are important.

It’s the durability factor that makes involving Kyren and Zach absolutely necessary. You should also factor in the small sample size of last season’s stretch run by Akers. Sure, it seems logical that he’s now 100% and “getting it”, but if the wheels come off…

The Rams NEED a solid run game to protect the defense and an older, more banged up Stafford. 2 things could derail that plan:
1) the defense is so bad, the score takes us out of the run game.
2) Akers gets hurt or the other backs just stink.

No way Akers can carry this offense on his back. The Rams will have to have production from the other 2 backs if they want a top rushing attack.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Decent RB with some untapped upside who has trouble holding onto the ball at times.

Hard to argue with that account.

Maybe it’s selective or repressed memories, but now that you have reminded me of those critically timed fumbles…
The horror. The horror.

Ram65

Legend
I'm on the Akers bandwagon. McVay (IMO) knows he needs to reestablish the Rams run game to make the passing game via play-action great again. Akers is a tough runner with good vision and a quick one-cut move. He is better than average and is effective in pass pro and catching the ball. Look for a healthy offensive line and the addition of Avila to open some good holes for Akers to take advantage of. This will help open up the offense for Stafford, Kupp, and Company.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’m certainly NOT for giving up on him before a game is even played, but KW and ZE are important.

It’s the durability factor that makes involving Kyren and Zach absolutely necessary. You should also factor in the small sample size of last season’s stretch run by Akers. Sure, it seems logical that he’s now 100% and “getting it”, but if the wheels come off…

The Rams NEED a solid run game to protect the defense and an older, more banged up Stafford. 2 things could derail that plan:
1) the defense is so bad, the score takes us out of the run game.
2) Akers gets hurt or the other backs just stink.

No way Akers can carry this offense on his back. The Rams will have to have production from the other 2 backs if they want a top rushing attack.
There's nothing in here that doesn't make sense.

And, to be clear, I think Williams and Evans are important. Personally, I'm much more excited by Evans than Williams.

All that being said, we're talking about potential. We've seen Akers perform in the NFL at a high level.

I do think people forget how effective Akers was in the playoffs in 2020.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is Cam's year to prove he can be that franchise RB. But after the Ram's experience with Gurley I think RB will be a revolving door every 3-4 years. It's cheaper to simply replace RBs than pay them. IMO they moved up to grab Evans because he has the talent to be a starter for 2-3 years. Sony Michel proved that this offense works just fine with a RB that is a grinder and will move the chains. The big strike in this offense will always be via the pass. The run attack is to set up the pass, in McVay's offense. That is why since Gurley they have moved to an inside run attack. Inside zone, power and man gap blocking is much better in setting up playaction. I've been saying it for years and McVay has finally shifted his run attack inside. Inside play action freezes the ILBs and SS to open up that mid range passing zone. Beat the CB, and break the FS tackle it's a TD.

McVay's current offensive scheme doesn't need a Gurley type RB. They need a Sony Michel, grinder inside who can simply move the chains and set up the pass. Evans fits that mold because though Michel is an excellent pass blocker, Evans is faster, more elusive inside and has better hands as a receiver. IMO Snead understands he can find those kinds of RBs in every draft in rounds, 4-6. Play him 4 years, and draft another because RB is the position that translates from college to the NFL the easiest, so a rookie can be a standout player. The former starter becomes a comp pick and if high enough (4th or 5th round) it could be used to draft the replacement RB.

I like Cam but I doubt he gets extended. When they drafted Evans it simply confirmed what I've been seeing with how they will sustain this team.

It's like I anticipate them rotating their DL alignment more than before. I can see them playing Donald at 3T and Turner at 2T opposite him. A 2T will leave the LT isolated against their DE be it Hoecht, Hampton or Mathis. Regardless it will give them a lot of pressure on the OL's pocket. If the Rams play with a SAM and a WIL it will limit all the mobile QBs they will face this year and take away their quick dumpoff option.

This defensive roster if played correctly and aggressively could be a top 10 unit. If it happens the Rams will be a Super Bowl contender with their offense. This is why I'm excited about this season and there is no way barring massive injuries, that this team isn't a playoff caliber team this year.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hard to argue with that account.

Maybe it’s selective or repressed memories, but now that you have reminded me of those critically timed fumbles…
The horror. The horror.

Kupp had some drop issues early and Goff used to throw stupid picks... now Goff has the 5th longest streak of throws without an interception and Kupp is arguably the poster boy for "most reliable reciever" in the game....
Young players have growing pains. Hopefully Akers has continued to improve also.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Young players have growing pains. Hopefully Akers has continued to improve also.
True. But RB has a short shelf life. It's one of those positions with the smallest window to do whatever it is you're gonna do at this level. Akers has pissed away a few years already. Not all his fault, certainly, given the injuries. But I think when it comes to RB the desire is guys who can be felt on that field now. It's a position where you show year one ideally because of that shelf life.

If you're a change of pace you need to know that offense and know your pass pro responsibilities in year one or you're not gonna sniff the field. Year two for a change of pace type, ok sure, it happens, but when you look at the Rams you see the effect of guys who have not been ready when called on. It's been by far our worst position in terms of contribution for both starters and depth. Not even close either.

I mean TE probably was more undergunned in terms of talent but those guys showed up in big playoff games at least. RB? Hell no. And I don't think all of it was on them in every case of that long run of ineffectiveness, but certainly enough of it was them to where we badly needed fresh blood in the backfield. Here's hoping between that fresh new blood to include last year's change of pace addition and our new RB coach we see a big improvement in that room's ability to affect games. Because offense doesn't need to be as hard as it has been, and as much shit as the OL gets in electronic Ramsdom the RB room has always sort of sidestepped all that somehow so I try to do my part to shovel that shit on them. Figuratively speaking. :laugh3: