Rams may have paid the wrong receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I understand the article and conversation just fine. The apprehensions about the contract go back to the entire body of his career...not just the above line you quoted. The article wasn't concluding that 6 games in this season were the ENTIRE reason to extend him or not.
I know that. We were addressing the lines I quoted. You're making it more than that on your own by throwing a red herring at what we were specifically commenting about. If you have your own point to make, then by all means, make it. But you don't have to snark a line like "Tavon Austin has only played 6 games in his career?" in order to do it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tavon Austin has only played 6 games in his career?

I don't think any of this is based off of one season...

The article used stats from the last 6 games and the contract signed by Austin 6 games ago to make their point.

I am also comfortable valuing Austin beyond just receiving stats.

Ellard80

Legend
I know that. We were addressing the lines I quoted. You're making it more than that on your own by throwing a red herring at what we were specifically commenting about. If you have your own point to make, then by all means, make it. But you don't have to snark a line like "Tavon Austin has only played 6 games in his career?" in order to do it.

But it was a red herring to begin with that the Article was only using 6 games as it's entire measuring stick.

I wasn't doing anything different than anyone else was.

Ellard80

Legend
The article used stats from the last 6 games and the contract signed by Austin 6 games ago to make their point.

I am also comfortable valuing Austin beyond just receiving stats.

For his entire Career Tavon Austin averages 44 yds per game receiving/rush and has scored 17 total TDS in 50 games..

He has a 9 yard put return avg with 3 tds in the same period...

He isn't dogmeat... but for that kind of production I thought his contract was silly (and typical honestly)

But maybe he will blow up in the next couple years. I'd be fine with that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But it was a red herring to begin with that the Article was only using 6 games as it's entire measuring stick.

I wasn't doing anything different than anyone else was.
I still don't think you're following along. Nobody (CGI or I, specifically) concluded that the article was using 6 games as its entire measuring stick. We zeroed in on two quotes within the article as a whole and offered an opinion on those specific quotes. You came in and said, "Tavon Austin has only played 6 games in his career?"

Meh. Never mind. I fear this will become exhaustively circular.

Just say you don't like the contract.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It was a mistake to sign Austin to that contract regardless of how Britt is playing. I remember watching hard knocks when Fisher handed the contract to Austin and said you earned it. He really hasn't and the worst part he doesn't look very good at the WR position so far this season. Very disappointed in Austin so far but Britt has been the killing it. Too bad he's the only one doing so on the offensive side.:sadwalk:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Very disappointed in Austin so far but Britt has been the killing it.

I am STOKED Britt is having a great start and likely a career year. But... It's his 8th season and he's never topped 800 yards.

Love the player, he's a Ram...

But I am just not going to latch onto 6 games and think he's the more deserving player for that contract.

That's just me.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I am STOKED Britt is having a great start and likely a career year. But... It's his 8th season and he's never topped 800 yards.

Love the player, he's a Ram...

But I am just not going to latch onto 6 games and think he's the more deserving player for that contract.

That's just me.
Never said Britt deserved that kind of contract just that he's killing it. Also Britt numbers while he's been here have not been bad if you consider the awful QB play. None of our other WR can say that. Austin on the other hand has been a major dissapointment and more so now because of that contract.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Never said Britt deserved that kind of contract just that he's killing it. Also Britt numbers while he's been here have not been bad if you consider the awful QB play. None of our other WR can say that. Austin on the other hand has been a major dissapointment and more so now because of that contract.

So Britt's numbers have been hindered by QB play, but not Austin's?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Of course but Britt still produced can you say the same for Austin?

Are we talking about these 6 games again?

Because Austin accounted for >1100 yards in 2015 combining receiving, rushing, and returns.

Again, Britt's not topped 800 (over 8 seasons) on this metric.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

Because Austin accounted for >1100 yards in 2015 combining receiving, rushing, and returns.

Please I was talking about them at the WR position. At that position Austin is below average at best. For punt returns teams just punt away from him. As a RB he's very good but with the play of the line they don't want to use him back there as much. He would be killed if he took the punishment Gurley has.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Please I was talking about them at the WR position. At that position Austin is below average at best. For punt returns teams just punt away from him. As a RB he's very good but with the play of the line they don't want to use him back there as much. He would be killed if he took the punishment Gurley has.

Thanks for adding that.

The contract isn't just about WR yards. My point is Austin adds a lot outside of receiving yards.

jap

Legend
Why do so many only think of 'Tavon the receiver only' when expressing disappointment over his contract? Do we really forget that his contract covers his punt returning and running skills too?

I have been living to see a mature QB with Goff's skills take over behind center with the strength, accuracy, touch, and height to find tiny Tavon downfield consistently. Indeed, all of our fly guys will take off with such a QB . . . so much so that defenses will have to play Todd honestly or suffer many quick deaths through the air. We have seen both Todd and Tavon decoy well for each other last season as a super dynamic Thunder & Lightning duo. That will only get better as the quality behind center improves.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why do so many only think of 'Tavon the receiver only' when expressing disappointment over his contract? Do we really forget that his contract covers his punt returning and running skills too?
IMO, it's really based on his ability to score touchdowns -- period. Not just receiving touchdowns. Since he was drafted, he's scored 20 of them. He's also had 5 (FIVE) taken away due to penalties committed by someone else. Along with those 5 touchdowns that were taken away, so were an additional 680 AP yards. Now I know penalties happen to a lot of players that negate big plays, but that's not the point. As @jrry32 was saying, look at the film. You'll see those TDs and yards that he had taken away, and you'll see the times where he's either open and not seen, open and not targeted, or used as a means to get someone else the ball. I don't know if people are upset about the Rams giving him a new contract, or the value of the contract itself (or both), but I can all but guarantee that it would have cost more if he hit the open market. Every DC that has to gameplan against him would LOVE to see him causing fits for their team instead. I know that much.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
Wait, Kenny Britt has a few good games, and now he is our guy? Kenny Britt has been around a while in the NFL, he sporadically shows up, teases with his potential and physical talents then vanishes again.

I can guarantee this, even now opposing defenses plan for Austin. They know where he's at on every play. Britt, although he recently had actually looked like an actual NFL #1, does not warrant that type of attention.

Was Austin's contract madness? Probably, but if bet on him realizing his potential before I ever count on Kenny Britt.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Thanks for adding that.

The contract isn't just about WR yards. My point is Austin adds a lot outside of receiving yards.
I definitely see your side of it but that contract in my opinion was a bad move.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This taking shots at tavon is so tiresome. The 31 other teams in the league would kill to have him on their team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
[av]http://soundbible.com/mp3/Uuuuuu-Paula-1357936016.mp3[/av]
You can't compare Austin to your standard receiver and then compare contracts. He's a receiver, RB, and punt returner. He's a multi-faceted threat, and he adds an extra dimension to the offense. An offense, I might add, that *needs* playmakers. He also has (on more than one occasion) flipped a game in the Rams' favor with either a return, a run, or a reception going for a TD. So, considering all that, I don't mind spending the Rams' money to lock him down for a few more years.

If Britt continues to dominate, then they'll find a way to lock him up too. But Austin's contract this year was based on his previous production (TD production) over his career to that point. You can't make the argument that they should have waited until the 6th game this year to evaluate his worth. Because you then have to consider how much more it would have cost if he had blown up over these first 6 games. Dumb article is dumb.
If you read the article and then follow the conversation, you'll be better equipped to understand what's going on.

My point of contention was with this:
This contract keeps the 25-year-old receiver in Los Angeles until he’s 31, while also handing him $30 million in guaranteed money in the process. The question is, if the Rams waited another, say, six games into the 2016 season, would they still be handing out this type of money to Austin?

CGI was addressing that too, and I think this:
Austin has been essentially force-fed the ball through six games, seeing a team-high 50 targets, but catching just 26 passes for 242 yards and a touchdown.

I've been drinking the Kiok-Aide way to long . Will see this weekend. Tavon Austin needs a breakout game.

Kenny Britt was huge at the end of last season. Case & Kenny worked out a lot in the off season.He will be missed.

Tavon Austin disappears a lot. He is not a good WR on 3rd downs. To many catches for losses. Most of his plays start around line off scrimmage .

--Why not have him as a KR when Bennie was hurt ?? You want him with space to run.
Tavon misses way to many big :rd passes.

Ellard80

Legend

Tavon Austin averages 44 yards per game from scrimmage rushing/recieving. (he averages 9 yards per reception career..)

He has scored 17 td's from scrimmage in 50 games.

He is a decent punt returner 9 yards per return and 3 TD's in 50 games.

I'm not really comparing him to Britt or anyone else specifically - he just hasn't produced enough in his career to get that huge of a contract.

Like I said previously maybe he will blow up the next couple of years and it will all be worth it.