Rams may have paid the wrong receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ram on Ram violence....read at your own discretion....
http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfc/lo...-paid-the-wrong-wide-receiver-this-offseason/

LOS ANGELES RAMS
The Rams may have paid the wrong wide receiver this offseason
Jeffwork-80x80.jpg

ByJeff Smith

The Los Angeles Rams decided to fork over some big money to one of their young wide receivers this offseason. Unfortunately, they may have paid the wrong guy. After the Rams gave Austin a four-year, $42 million extension this offseason, per Conor Orr of NFL.com, it was expected that he’d be the focal point of the team’s offense. While that hasn’t exactly been the case (not that they haven’t tried), what makes things even worse is that another receiver has stepped up in a big way to start the 2016 season.

After a 2015 season in which Austin totaled 907 yards from scrimmage (473 receiving, 434 rushing) and nine total touchdowns, head coach Jeff Fisher stated the following about the extension:

“Tavon has been an integral part of our offense and special teams since we drafted him in 2013,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in a statement. “It is important to our organization to retain players we’ve drafted and invested in, and Tavon is an example of that. We’re excited for him to continue his career with the Rams.”

This contract keeps the 25-year-old receiver in Los Angeles until he’s 31, while also handing him $30 million in guaranteed money in the process. The question is, if the Rams waited another, say, six games into the 2016 season, would they still be handing out this type of money to Austin? Better yet, would they be more interested in giving it to Kenny Britt instead?

Austin has been essentially force-fed the ball through six games, seeing a team-high 50 targets, but catching just 26 passes for 242 yards and a touchdown. On the flip side, the 28-year-old Britt has caught 30-of-40 targets for 492 yards and two touchdowns. he has nine receptions of 20-plus yards and is averaging 82 yards per game. Without question, Britt has been the most reliable receiver on the Rams roster and is a guy who’s showing serious staying power.

Britt may be older than Austin, but his contract with the Rams is up after the 2016 season, so he’ll hit the free-agent market and should be an interesting name to watch. More importantly, after re-signing Austin, it’s unlikely that the Rams will choose to bring back Britt as well.

Some may argue that the superb start to the season for Britt is one that was hard to see coming, but that’s not really the case. Look back to 2010 when the Rams’ No. 1 receiver was still with the Tennessee Titans, and caught 42 passes for 775 yards and nine touchdowns in just 12 games. Realistically, Britt has only had one “bad” season which wasn’t due to injury, which came during his final year with the Titans when he was on his way out.

Austin may be the more electrifying player of the two, but Britt has the prototypical size, speed and playmaking ability for a No. 1 receiver. The Rams leading pass-catcher through six games stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 223 pounds. He seems to be coming into his own with quarterback Case Keenum also, and we know he and rookie quarterback Jared Goff have a connection as well (thanks to HBO’s Hard Knocks).

It’s understandable that the Rams were paying for potential when it came to Austin, but had they waited, the decision to focus on getting Britt under contract beyond the 2016 season may have become a priority. Now, it’ll be interesting to see what the Rams do this offseason, and whether or not they choose to let Britt test free agency, or offer him a competitive contract to try to keep him in Los Angeles.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram on Ram violence....read at your own discretion....
http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfc/lo...-paid-the-wrong-wide-receiver-this-offseason/

LOS ANGELES RAMS
The Rams may have paid the wrong wide receiver this offseason
Jeffwork-80x80.jpg

ByJeff Smith

The Los Angeles Rams decided to fork over some big money to one of their young wide receivers this offseason. Unfortunately, they may have paid the wrong guy. After the Rams gave Austin a four-year, $42 million extension this offseason, per Conor Orr of NFL.com, it was expected that he’d be the focal point of the team’s offense. While that hasn’t exactly been the case (not that they haven’t tried), what makes things even worse is that another receiver has stepped up in a big way to start the 2016 season.

After a 2015 season in which Austin totaled 907 yards from scrimmage (473 receiving, 434 rushing) and nine total touchdowns, head coach Jeff Fisher stated the following about the extension:

“Tavon has been an integral part of our offense and special teams since we drafted him in 2013,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in a statement. “It is important to our organization to retain players we’ve drafted and invested in, and Tavon is an example of that. We’re excited for him to continue his career with the Rams.”

This contract keeps the 25-year-old receiver in Los Angeles until he’s 31, while also handing him $30 million in guaranteed money in the process. The question is, if the Rams waited another, say, six games into the 2016 season, would they still be handing out this type of money to Austin? Better yet, would they be more interested in giving it to Kenny Britt instead?

Austin has been essentially force-fed the ball through six games, seeing a team-high 50 targets, but catching just 26 passes for 242 yards and a touchdown. On the flip side, the 28-year-old Britt has caught 30-of-40 targets for 492 yards and two touchdowns. he has nine receptions of 20-plus yards and is averaging 82 yards per game. Without question, Britt has been the most reliable receiver on the Rams roster and is a guy who’s showing serious staying power.

Britt may be older than Austin, but his contract with the Rams is up after the 2016 season, so he’ll hit the free-agent market and should be an interesting name to watch. More importantly, after re-signing Austin, it’s unlikely that the Rams will choose to bring back Britt as well.

Some may argue that the superb start to the season for Britt is one that was hard to see coming, but that’s not really the case. Look back to 2010 when the Rams’ No. 1 receiver was still with the Tennessee Titans, and caught 42 passes for 775 yards and nine touchdowns in just 12 games. Realistically, Britt has only had one “bad” season which wasn’t due to injury, which came during his final year with the Titans when he was on his way out.

Austin may be the more electrifying player of the two, but Britt has the prototypical size, speed and playmaking ability for a No. 1 receiver. The Rams leading pass-catcher through six games stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 223 pounds. He seems to be coming into his own with quarterback Case Keenum also, and we know he and rookie quarterback Jared Goff have a connection as well (thanks to HBO’s Hard Knocks).

It’s understandable that the Rams were paying for potential when it came to Austin, but had they waited, the decision to focus on getting Britt under contract beyond the 2016 season may have become a priority. Now, it’ll be interesting to see what the Rams do this offseason, and whether or not they choose to let Britt test free agency, or offer him a competitive contract to try to keep him in Los Angeles.
[av]http://soundbible.com/mp3/Uuuuuu-Paula-1357936016.mp3[/av]
You can't compare Austin to your standard receiver and then compare contracts. He's a receiver, RB, and punt returner. He's a multi-faceted threat, and he adds an extra dimension to the offense. An offense, I might add, that *needs* playmakers. He also has (on more than one occasion) flipped a game in the Rams' favor with either a return, a run, or a reception going for a TD. So, considering all that, I don't mind spending the Rams' money to lock him down for a few more years.

If Britt continues to dominate, then they'll find a way to lock him up too. But Austin's contract this year was based on his previous production (TD production) over his career to that point. You can't make the argument that they should have waited until the 6th game this year to evaluate his worth. Because you then have to consider how much more it would have cost if he had blown up over these first 6 games. Dumb article is dumb.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the thread move...I need the ROD$$$.....man, I'm not betting against the Cards unless it's us on the other side...

I don't know @-X-

the rb/wr/pr dudes...been around for awhile (I'll always think Metcalf & now Sproles)...and YES they do change games...but impact wr's are different...and are usually paid like Tavon. It's all about scarce resources to me...from my old accounting buddy, dubs....Can we afford to pay Tavon, while missing out on a Britt? could these resources be better spent? In fact, I see where we NEED Brockers...I see where we NEED Quinn...I'm starting to SEE where we NEEDED Janoris Jenkins...and I hate typing that...If we weren't gonna draft a corner, relying on EJ & Tru is a huge gamble...not really on talent (although I have my doubts about Gaines) but on their overall health and ability to contribute week in, and week out....Week in, week out...Does Tavon really impact the game every week? Besides being a decoy? Which he does a great job of that....Did we sacrifice players like JJ, to sign Tavon? Will we sacrifice Britt (and maybe Quick) for Tavon? And, will it be worth it?

A55VA6

Legend
We gotta re-sign Britt. He's playing consistently good. Come 2017, I assume Goff will be starting and we need a good veteran WR like Britt to help him out.

ram007

Starter
Tavon is a useful player with multiple skills. Not worthy of #8 pick nor the contract he received. But Rams could not afford to lose any talent in WR corps. So they have to cough up money and proclaim confidence in him. If Britt and Quick played well last year, I doubt we would see the contract given to Tavon.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not a fan of the signing. It's too much money for a gadget player that doesn't excel in any one area of the game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Britt is trying to earn a final contract. It's always hard to determine if he would be playing this hard and well without that caveat. It is still fair to question if Britt is really a long term answer at receiver anyway. He needs to string together several good games before we start anointing him as the answer we have been in search of.

…..

Legend
Dumb article is dumb.

Not a dumb article.....just one that states the obvious. Not saying Britt should have gotten Tavon's money, but the rest is pretty obvious.

We need production out of Britt to cover for the lack of production from Austin, but we dont need Britt playing his way out of town.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
[av]http://soundbible.com/mp3/Uuuuuu-Paula-1357936016.mp3[/av]
You can't compare Austin to your standard receiver and then compare contracts. He's a receiver, RB, and punt returner. He's a multi-faceted threat, and he adds an extra dimension to the offense. An offense, I might add, that *needs* playmakers. He also has (on more than one occasion) flipped a game in the Rams' favor with either a return, a run, or a reception going for a TD. So, considering all that, I don't mind spending the Rams' money to lock him down for a few more years.

If Britt continues to dominate, then they'll find a way to lock him up too. But Austin's contract this year was based on his previous production (TD production) over his career to that point. You can't make the argument that they should have waited until the 6th game this year to evaluate his worth. Because you then have to consider how much more it would have cost if he had blown up over these first 6 games. Dumb article is dumb.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Besides... we're 6 games into the season and we've already determined this? Might as well cut Gurley while we're at it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Tavon has actually been noticeably better at route running and getting open deep this year. The ball just isn't getting to him. He's not being seen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tavon has actually been noticeably better at route running and getting open deep this year. The ball just isn't getting to him. He's not being seen.
I think Keenum and Austin are just a little out of sync. My personal opinion is that it's really difficult to lead a receiver that fast AND short and hit him in stride. But that can only continue to improve as they keep connecting. I don't think Austin and Keenum got together in the offseason like Keenum and Britt, but I could be mistaken. You can tell the timing is there with *those two* though. It's fun to watch.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think Keenum and Austin are just a little out of sync. My personal opinion is that it's really difficult to lead a receiver that fast AND short and hit him in stride. But that can only continue to improve as they keep connecting. I don't think Austin and Keenum got together in the offseason like Keenum and Britt, but I could be mistaken. You can tell the timing is there with *those two* though. It's fun to watch.

They definitely need to get in sync.

That being said, I'm of the jrry school that wants a different QB to start, while fully acknowledging the current starter has done some good things.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Britt is trying to earn a final contract. It's always hard to determine if he would be playing this hard and well without that caveat. .

I think he has been playing this hard since the rams signed him, just didn't have a QB who could get him the ball. He's played for the Titians and Rams.....He hasn't had a true QB most games.

Ellard80

Legend
I never understood the contract for Tavon...

He has the potential to be a homerun hitter but he just lacks so many fundamental skills and abilities. He has a career yards per reception below 10...

He has poor hands, especially considering his diminutive size. On punt returns I feel like he often has poor vision.

He is just so quick and fast that he happens into a play every now and then... but they are too far and few in between.

Tavon has built this reputation as a threat blinds people to his actual inability to be productive.

Ellard80

Legend
My thoughts EXACTLY.

Besides... we're 6 games into the season and we've already determined this? Might as well cut Gurley while we're at it.

Tavon Austin has only played 6 games in his career?

I don't think any of this is based off of one season...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tavon Austin has only played 6 games in his career?

I don't think any of this is based off of one season...
If you read the article and then follow the conversation, you'll be better equipped to understand what's going on.

My point of contention was with this:
This contract keeps the 25-year-old receiver in Los Angeles until he’s 31, while also handing him $30 million in guaranteed money in the process. The question is, if the Rams waited another, say, six games into the 2016 season, would they still be handing out this type of money to Austin?

CGI was addressing that too, and I think this:
Austin has been essentially force-fed the ball through six games, seeing a team-high 50 targets, but catching just 26 passes for 242 yards and a touchdown.

Ellard80

Legend
If you read the article and then follow the conversation, you'll be better equipped to understand what's going on.

My point of contention was with this:
This contract keeps the 25-year-old receiver in Los Angeles until he’s 31, while also handing him $30 million in guaranteed money in the process. The question is, if the Rams waited another, say, six games into the 2016 season, would they still be handing out this type of money to Austin?

CGI was addressing this:
Austin has been essentially force-fed the ball through six games, seeing a team-high 50 targets, but catching just 26 passes for 242 yards and a touchdown.

I understand the article and conversation just fine. The apprehensions about the contract go back to the entire body of his career...not just the above line you quoted. The article wasn't concluding that 6 games in this season were the ENTIRE reason to extend him or not.