Rams Mailbag: Previewing the owners meetings/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Previewing the owners meetings
By Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/18506/rams-mailbag-previewing-the-owners-meetings

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We are rapidly approaching the start of organized team activities but before we get there, there's another important piece of business this week in San Francisco: the spring owners meetings.

Clearly, there's a lot of Los Angeles discussion that figures to be had and the future of the St. Louis Rams hangs tenuously in the balance. Let's get to some more of your questions, including those which relate to relocation and the Rams.

On to business ...

Randy Mathew Smith @RandyMSmith1986
You aren't buying the Kroenke will sell or be forced to sell team so it stays in STL while he goes to LA, are you?

@nwagoner: I have said all along and maintain that I believe the likely end game is the Rams in Los Angeles, probably along with the San Diego Chargers. It's a sort of happy medium for the league, Stan Kroenke and the Chargers and allows the league to execute the best plan they've had in 20 years. There likely won't be three teams in southern California again, so if the Rams go, it stands to reason the Oakland Raiders are on the outside looking in. However, there are a couple of scenarios that could change things though most of those are a bit too macabre for me to discuss at length here. Nothing is set in stone here yet but I still think the odds of the Rams going to Los Angeles are more probable than not. (Sorry, I'll see myself out).

Ram Jam @RamsFansUnite
With another owners meeting coming up, what should we be looking for this time re: Rams stadium/relocation situation?

@nwagoner: I actually answered this question last week but think this is a good all-encompassing one that I can get additional information in that I didn't have at that time. So, my understanding is that the St. Louis and local stadium groups (Oakland and San Diego) will not be making presentations at this round of meetings. Instead, the committee on Los Angeles Opportunities, which met with all of the potential new stadium groups in New York recently, will be able to update the other owners on the current situations. It doesn't sound like there will be a formal presentation, per se, but it obviously will be discussed. In terms of actual news on this front, my primary expectation is still that the biggest "news" will be that they move up the window for teams to file for relocation from the winter to late fall. That means it would likely come at a time close to when the St. Louis stadium group is hoping to have private financing nailed down.

Kelton Brooks @BrooksWeekly
Both Stacy and Mason was introduced around week 4. With Gurley's recovery, will he appear later or surprise Rams fans?

@nwagoner: Funny how that worked, huh? But remember that Zac Stacy had dealt with injury stuff in camp and the Rams felt Tre Mason wasn't ready to help in pass protection and "playing without the ball" yet over the first four games. With Todd Gurley, I believe the Rams will play him as soon as he's ready from a health perspective. Which means the question is when will he be ready? There's really no way to know that right now but it wouldn't surprise me if he missed the first three or four weeks. Only time and doctors will really tell.

John Ahlers @johnforamerica
Heard the annual "get Tavon more involved" spiel yet? If so, how does he fit into power run scheme?

@nwagoner: Of course. We heard the "spiel" the day the team officially promoted Frank Cignetti to offensive coordinator. But at this point, much like with this team, doesn't seeing have to be believing? The Rams have struggled to find Tavon Austin's fit and it's hard to see how they're going to do it better now that they've fully committed to a personality opposite of what he brings to the table. On the flip side, though, is the prospect of using him in ways that really complement that offensive philosophy. In other words, more jet sweeps, more ways of getting the ball in his hands as a change of pace to the more power-oriented style. At this point, I'm not sure he's ever going to develop into a consistent receiver. But I guess we'll see.

greatestBROonturf @greatestbroLA
Are we expected to pick up any more competition for the center position

@nwagoner: I tend to think the Rams are happy with what they have but it's also possible they will go through OTAs and re-evaluate the situation to determine if they need more help. A reunion with Scott Wells hasn't been entirely ruled out, either, but I think the Rams would prefer one of Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes or Demetrius Rhaney to stake a claim to the job.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
John Ahlers @johnforamerica
Heard the annual "get Tavon more involved" spiel yet? If so, how does he fit into power run scheme?

@nwagoner: Of course. We heard the "spiel" the day the team officially promoted Frank Cignetti to offensive coordinator. But at this point, much like with this team, doesn't seeing have to be believing? The Rams have struggled to find Tavon Austin's fit and it's hard to see how they're going to do it better now that they've fully committed to a personality opposite of what he brings to the table. On the flip side, though, is the prospect of using him in ways that really complement that offensive philosophy. In other words, more jet sweeps, more ways of getting the ball in his hands as a change of pace to the more power-oriented style. At this point, I'm not sure he's ever going to develop into a consistent receiver. But I guess we'll see.

It is strange how Tavon Austin is slowly being reduced to a Dexter McCluster role.

Maybe some of my former RRF pals will know what I am talking about here.