Rams Mailbag: Offseason Underway/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams mailbag: Offseason underway

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15514/rams-mailbag-offseason-underway

Welcome to the first installment of the St. Louis Rams Twitter mailbag, where each Sunday I will take your questions from Twitter and answer them in this space. Anything you want to ask is fair game, and I'll do my best to get to most questions either here or on Twitter. Tweet your questions to me on Twitter @nwagoner and be sure to use the hashtag #RamsMail.

CochiseJack @tribccsd
@nwagoner #RamsMail Is the #ReverendIsaacBruce interested in coaching at the #NFL level?

@nwagoner: I know Isaac pretty well. Though he loves the game enough to actually help out coaching down at his old high school in Florida, I just don't think he wants to put in the time required to be an NFL coach. The hours are taxing, and he has a young family and just opened a gym as well. With so much going on, it seems unlikely. That isn't to say he might not pursue it some day, but he's got a good thing going right now without the stress of an NFL coaching job.

Ram Jam @RamsFansUnite
@nwagoner please name some attractive FA targets this offseason. Iupati, Wisniewski...who else?

@nwagoner: Keep in mind, most of the attractive free agents who are on the list now probably won't be when the time comes. But I think you hit on some intriguing names for positions of need. It would behoove the Rams to add a veteran on the offensive line. If Oakland lets center Stefan Wisniewski shake loose, the Rams should at least get in on it. I also think Kansas City center Rodney Hudson is a good player who could hit the market. Both of them fit the mold of young, still ascending players and would make sense for the Rams. I'm not as sold on Mike Iupati. He isn't exactly old but has had injury issues and been less effective in recent years. Given the likely investment it would take, that money would be better spent elsewhere, at least that's my early read on it.

Clyde Diggity @ReckaTee
@nwagoner Realistically, what do you think is the best option(s) for the Rams QB situation?

@nwagoner: Some people probably don't want to hear it, but the plan they have now is the one that realistically makes the most sense. Bring Sam Bradford back at a reduced rate, re-sign one of Shaun Hill or Austin Davis, and then hope and pray you find a talented young quarterback, likely in the second or third round, in the NFL draft. I still think that plan would've been better had it been executed last year, but unfortunately there aren't any obvious outside solutions better than this one.

@SooWassupp
@nwagoner what's the likelihood the Rams free up cap space and actually spend some money this offseason

@nwagoner: There are some obvious moves they can -- and likely -- will make to free up cap space. Offensive tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells, Bradford and defensive tackle Kendall Langford are among those who can or will be cut or brought back on cheaper contracts to free up money. I don't expect the Rams to be major players in free agency, but I do think they're better positioned to add a more costly piece or two.

bird @the_clay_bird
@nwagoner #RamsMail If you had to put it into a percentage, what are the chances the Rams trade up to draft Winston or Mariotta?

@nwagoner: As we sit here today? Maybe 10 percent. Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have had that question floated to them and haven't categorically shot them down so we have to at least keep the door open on it. Of course, it's so early in the process that they probably don't even have a real value assigned to either at this point. And it would also depend on how far up they'd have to move to make it happen.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nobody asked any questions about the OC?

What answer would you expect? Wagoner has responded to this already and most of us know that Fisher tends to take a deliberate approach when it comes to assistant coaches. However, when it comes to coordinator I think he would expedite the process.

Hiring a running back coach is one thing, but a coordinator is totally different. IMO my hope is that the reason it's taking longer is because Mike Shanahan is in play and he's waiting for all Head Coaching vacancies to be filled or target number one is Rob Chudzinski and the Rams are waiting for the Colts to be eliminated before they can request permission.

FRO

Legend
What answer would you expect? Wagoner has responded to this already and most of us know that Fisher tends to take a deliberate approach when it comes to assistant coaches. However, when it comes to coordinator I think he would expedite the process.

Hiring a running back coach is one thing, but a coordinator is totally different. IMO my hope is that the reason it's taking longer is because Mike Shanahan is in play and he's waiting for all Head Coaching vacancies to be filled or target number one is Rob Chudzinski and the Rams are waiting for the Colts to be eliminated before they can request permission.
Maybe update us on who has actually interviewed. They said they want to or interview guys. I don't know if they have actually conducted any interviews. Who is has the lead for the job? I just want some form of updates.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maybe update us on who has actually interviewed. They said they want to or interview guys. I don't know if they have actually conducted any interviews. Who is has the lead for the job? I just want some form of updates.

Come on FRO, you actually want reporting on the team? What they are doing and the direction they are going? Who's interviewed and who's on the short list? Please, I suppose you're going to want to know what free agents they want to keep and who is on their radar from around the league as well?

You're asking for quite a bit my friend!

Last edited: