Rams mailbag: Identifying camp's biggest position battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Identifying camp's biggest position battles
By Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ag-identifying-camps-biggest-position-battles

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Well, we are almost there. The St. Louis Rams are set to open training camp on Friday with rookies reporting Monday and the veterans jumping in on Wednesday.

But before we get there, we’ve got time for another edition of the Rams Twitter mailbag.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see your questions. On to business.

SeattleRams @seattlerams
Headed into camp, which position battles look to be the most contested over the summer? Center? OLB? 3rd RB?

@nwagoner: Center is certainly the one that takes the prize here. I legitimately wouldn't be surprised by any outcome in that battle between Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney. For perspective, last week I projected Barnes as the starter heading into camp (though it's really a dead heat) but also believe that he could be cut when they get to 53. The Rams are going to rotate all three players with the first-team offense and I believe they'd like Jones to win the job and Rhaney offers more upside. At this point, Barnes has some starting experience but that might not be enough to save his job after we go through camp and the preseason. And for what it's worth, had the Rams not drafted tackle Isaiah Battle, I could've seen a scenario in which all three centers made the cut to 53. Maybe injuries will factor in and change things again, but attempting to project who starts at center on Sept. 13 right now is a really difficult exercise.

John Palmieri @JPalmieri30
Are the Rams currently trying to get an extension done with Janoris Jenkins? I think he is a must keep player.

@nwagoner: Currently? I don't know if that's in the works at the moment but I do know the Rams have had some preliminary discussions with some players they'd like to keep around. Remember, they have a lot of unrestricted free agents after the season, so it stands to reason that if they have decided fully that they want to keep some of them, getting them done sooner than later would be a good thing. I believe they have interest in keeping Janoris Jenkins and wouldn't be surprised if he was in the mix for a deal. I'll be sure to check in on this further as we get into camp.

derrick costoplos @costoplos
I really thought Mason was the future,but it's looking like a Lendale White/CJ combo thing now with Gurley.true?

@nwagoner: I don't think it plays out that way. Tre Mason will get his opportunities, and certainly more than his share, until Todd Gurley is healthy. But when Gurley is at full speed, he's going to be the primary guy. The Rams view him as their Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch. Jeff Fisher even acknowledged he could be his new Eddie George. In other words, the Rams didn't draft him to be part of an elaborate timeshare. He'll be the focal point of the offense sooner than later.

Cody Zick @zick823
Do you think Andrew Donnal or Jamon Brown will win a starting spot on the O-line?

@nwagoner: Well, Jamon Brown was already working with the first team at right guard in the spring and the Rams seem pleased with his progress. I suppose things could change, but he seems to be in a really good spot when it comes to winning that job. Andrew Donnal is probably going to settle into a backup spot.

Gerald S. Reynolds @ranchghost_g
How can the team seriously compete with that offensive line?

@nwagoner: Well, I suppose one could argue that simply making some changes will make the line better than it was last season. Despite their line woes a year ago, the Rams were competitive. But I also am assuming you mean can they contend rather than compete? We know the Rams will compete and be in the majority of their games. To me, the offensive line is the single biggest question of any position group on the team. That's not breaking any new ground, but it's certainly the case. How do two rookies fare? Who starts at center? Can Greg Robinson elevate his game? Can Rodger Saffold stay healthy? That's a lot of questions to answer. I fully expect there to be plenty of growing pains for that group, but if it can prove capable of at least getting the job done in the run game and not be a total sieve pass blocking, the Rams will have a fighting chance. Still, it's probably going to be a constant work in progress for most of the season, and it's fair to wonder if it will be good enough for the Rams to actually contend for a playoff spot.