Rams Mailbag: Free Agency Set to Begin/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Free agency set to begin
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16797/rams-mailbag-free-agency-set-to-begin

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Lots of questions this week so no reason to waste any time. Let's get to business.

As always, if you have questions for the St. Louis Rams mailbag, you can send them to me via Twitter @nwagoner.

Scott Walker @ScottDavid13
Should we look more at the DEs this draft? Its loaded, and while it may not be a need in 2015, may be big need in 2016.

@nwagoner: The Rams are in an interesting spot at that position, because William Hayes and Eugene Sims are both entering the last year of their deals and Chris Long has two years remaining but will need a bounce-back season to ensure he comes back at the rate he's currently owed for 2016. Planning for the future at defensive end isn't a bad idea, and given the depth at the position and Jeff Fisher's love of defense, it actually wouldn't surprise me if the Rams put some capital into the position. In an ideal world, though, those pass-rushers will all go before the Rams pick at No. 10, thus removing temptation to take one early and pushing players at more pressing positions of need and good value down to the Rams.

Brawley Darbon @brawleydarbon
Has there been any negotiations between @BazookaJoe72 and the Rams?

@nwagoner: I know you sent this question in before my story on Joe Barksdale posted on Friday, but I'll go ahead and sum it up here, too. The Rams and Barksdale's representatives have had discussions, and all signs point to him testing the market. Some in the Barksdale camp were surprised a deal didn't get done a while ago, but the Rams are only willing to go so high on a contract to keep him. If Barksdale can exceed that number, he very well could land elsewhere. Barksdale might be the second best tackle available in free agency, so don't be surprised if he draws plenty of interest.
TheRamsFan @TheRamsFan
Not many Rams fans agree, but I see Trae Waynes as a worthy pick at 10 & meeting a need for the Rams. Your thoughts?

@nwagoner: As I've mentioned in this space before, cornerback is more of a need than some believe, but it's not a pressing one. It's one that will come into focus after next season, though. Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are free agents after the 2015 season. The Rams have high hopes for E.J. Gaines to be one of their starters long-term, which would allow Lamarcus Joyner to slide into the nickel. The question becomes who is the other outside cornerback. My sense is that Jenkins is more likely to stick around long term than Johnson, but that remains to be seen. Trae Waynes would be a great fit from a skills standpoint, and again, I don't think we can rule out anything in terms of the Rams' approach to the draft. They aren't afraid to do things that go against conventional wisdom. If all things are equal, they need to spend that pick on offense, but if things break a certain way and there is no obvious offensive player or trade-down option there, perhaps Waynes is one to watch.

Philip Tucker Jr. @PTeezie
Who have been the "regulars" at Rams Park this offseason? It was reported Greg Robinson has been at Rams Park rehabbing

@nwagoner: Most "regulars" at this time of year fit that description of players who are rehabbing. As I wrote about at the combine, Greg Robinson is working his way back from a toe injury, so he's been there a lot. Sam Bradford is another who has been there a lot. Brian Quick is another. But we're getting close to the time when guys start coming back. They can't begin the official offseason program until April, but some guys will start trickling in during March.

Sam Wiles @SamGoneWiles
Why did the Rams choose to not carry-over their cap space?

@nwagoner: The answer is pretty simple, you can't carry over what you don't have. The Rams didn't have much space available by the end of 2014, so there really wasn't much left to carry over. They even had to tweak a few contracts just to stay under during the season.

Thomas Turniawan @TBoneUlty
Unless there's value in the early rounds (ie Donald pick), why would Rams consider defensive players early in draft?

@nwagoner: Definitely understand where you're coming from, and I agree that if all things are equal, offense should be the priority. But you answered your own question. If they have a player who happens to play defense who sticks out like a sore thumb when they pick, would anyone be surprised if the Rams took him? Fisher is still a defensive coach, and Les Snead has talked about strengthening a strength in the past. Again, offense is needed and should take precedence, but I don't think we can rule out defense if the value is right. Though the needs aren't pressing, the Rams do have some big-picture planning to do on defense. Linebacker, defensive end, and cornerback could all have some questions in the coming years because of pending free agents and the like.

CochiseJack @tribccsd
Is #MarcBulger associated with organization? Had the pleasure of meeting him. Nicest guy you'll ever meet.

@nwagoner: Other than being a former player, he is not. But you're right, Marc Bulger was and is a stand-up guy. Always enjoyed dealing with him. I'd imagine his golf game is off the charts by now.

Tacowrecker @tacowrecker
If Rams maintain status quo/ continue w/ mediocrity as Fisher's record suggests, how long until HC/GM held accountable?

@nwagoner: Fisher has two years left on his deal and about $14 million coming his way. If the Rams are mediocre again, I tend to doubt that Stan Kroenke would pay him $7 million to sit at home in 2016. If things really go awry and they only win two or three games or something, then that would probably change. Snead is probably in a more must-win situation than Fisher in terms of job security..

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tacowrecker @tacowrecker
If Rams maintain status quo/ continue w/ mediocrity as Fisher's record suggests, how long until HC/GM held accountable?

@nwagoner: Fisher has two years left on his deal and about $14 million coming his way. If the Rams are mediocre again, I tend to doubt that Stan Kroenke would pay him $7 million to sit at home in 2016. If things really go awry and they only win two or three games or something, then that would probably change. Snead is probably in a more must-win situation than Fisher in terms of job security..

I wonder if the need to win more this season outweighs the needs for the future? I mean, if they see a guy on defense that can help maintain a certain area, i.e. the defensive line or secondary, would they pick him knowing the offense is in dire need? Or do they try and pick someone they think can help the offense knowing the same offense of the past couple seasons is not going to win a lot of games? Would they forsake the future to win now if they think their future is in jeopardy? I have a feeling thats why they're putting all their eggs in Sam Bradford's basket. They're willing to pay him what's owed because they know there are no better options. Its a gamble, because if he goes down again, the team likely goes down and they likely go down.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
If the Rams are looking at DE's because Sims and Hayes are in their last year and Long maybe gone in two then the Rams will never improve or win the Superbowl. They need an OL now, not next year or the year after. That means massing OL in the draft and FA so they have a chance to compete. Without fixing the OL they have no chance. It is not that hard to figure out.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If the Rams are looking at DE's because Sims and Hayes are in their last year and Long maybe gone in two then the Rams will never improve or win the Superbowl. They need an OL now, not next year or the year after. That means massing OL in the draft and FA so they have a chance to compete. Without fixing the OL they have no chance. It is not that hard to figure out.
kind of a bold statement isn't it? I disagree.