Rams mailbag: Estimating Todd Gurley's impact/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Estimating Todd Gurley's impact

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/20592/rams-mailbag-estimating-todd-gurleys-impact

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Slowly but surely, we are inching closer to the start of the NFL regular season and the St. Louis Rams' Sept. 13 opener against the Seattle Seahawks.

After Sunday's second preseason game, the Rams will be halfway through their exhibition schedule. There's plenty of time for things to get sorted out until then, but there's also plenty of questions on your mind so let's not waste any more time.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner. Please use hashtag #RamsMail to submit questions.

RanGotBeatz @Ran_215beatz
Do you really think TG will have the type of impact he's supposed to have?

@nwagoner: I suppose the answer to that question starts with what your perspective is on what type of impact you believe Todd Gurley is supposed to have. For me, I don't think we can expect him to come in and instantly become the game-breaker that he was drafted to be. Some of that is a function of his rehab from the knee injury and some of it is from the likelihood that his offensive line is going to take some time to develop.

I expect Gurley to have a very limited role or potentially even sit the first game or two before he slowly starts working his way into the mix. He probably won't take on a full workload until a bit later in the season. If he comes in at that pace, then I suppose the answer for this year is no. We all know he brings a lot of talent to the table but as with any rookie -- let alone ones coming off major knee injuries -- there's always the possibility he won't pan out and play to his draft status. Gurley is no exception.

Alex Ramatowski @DJRamification
Hypothetical but do you see a scenario where Rams win Super Bowl and still move to LA?

@nwagoner: No, I don't. And by no, I mean I don't see a scenario in which the Rams win the Super Bowl. Yes, crazier things have happened and the Rams even won their title in 1999-2000 as a major surprise,so we know you can never say never, but this is just too far-fetched to me. But to get to the heart of your question, the Rams' record will have very little to do with whether they stay in St. Louis or go elsewhere. If they win and attendance is high, it won't hurt St. Louis' case to keep the team. If they lose and nobody shows up, it won't help St. Louis' cause. But neither will be much of a deciding factor. This decision will be made by 32 owners that first and foremost want to make the decision that increases their own bottom lines and offers the best long-term option to keep that bottom line improving.

Seger Mounce @ciggyyy
With EJ Gaines going down, do you think the Rams will keep Brandon McGee or Imoan Claiborne?

@nwagoner: As of right now, I don't really see how one could make the case to keep McGee. He's barely played or practiced in nearly a year. Claiborne has flashed some ability in the preseason and camp, and as I wrote back when they signed him, he's one of the undrafted rookies with the best chances to make the roster. That doesn't guarantee anything though. He still needs to perform and win the job, and it would help him if he can prove capable on special teams. And the Rams could always surprise and keep just four corners. That's not many but they've done it in the past and they could go heavy at safety. With the many nickel permutations they have available on the roster, that's not out of the question.

Nicholas Zuckerman @NZuckerman79
Is Isaiah Battle going to see much playing time or start this year? I don't think he played at Oakland

@nwagoner: He played and had his ups and downs. As you'd expect, he's a serious work in progress in pass protection, but he shows signs of being a very good run-blocker. He's not going to start this year, barring some major injury issues, and playing time is probably a similar situation. First things first, he needs to make the roster. I expect that to happen, but the Rams are going to have some tough decisions to make come cut-down days.

Jerseyram1 @Rdvez1
Is this a make or break season for Fisher/Snead, especially with all of the RGIII resources they have had to rebuild?

@nwagoner: As I've said and written in this space many times, I don't believe that's the case. I understand and even agree with those who believe they should be under a lot of scrutiny going into this year, but the sense I get from Rams Park is that isn't the case. Of course, things are always subject to change and a really awful season might change some thinking, but with another year left on their deals and the potential for relocation on the table, it seems the Rams are committed to the patient approach.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Patience. The masses want now, now, now... 16 games is a long haul, he'll get in where he fits in... when the time is right.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hope that they start faster but After looking at their schedule, it looks like they could start 1 and 4 and still win nine or ten games this year.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I hope that they start faster but After looking at their schedule, it looks like they could start 1 and 4 and still win nine or ten games this year.

Well they could certainly begin 1-4, I'm not so sure about the 9 or 10 wins part. :cautious:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that they could start slow due to rookies in key positions, new people, new coaches, etc... but they will be a team to reckon with after the break.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
For most rookies, there is a curve, but Gurley is going to be a Randy Moss like rookie. It's going to be like turning on a light switch once he's healthy. All of a sudden he's going to be out there and he's going to be running down the sidelines with guys running behind him who can't catch him. It's going to be glorious.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was thinking the same thing.

We could start 1-4, but if it's one of those cases where it's a really tough 1-4, then I could totally see us hitting that next 9 games and winning them all, including the two back to back away games at Baltimore and Cincy (the 2nd away game at Cincy will be one of our tougher games of the year, bar none, because it's the 2nd away game and statistically, those are tough for any team to win and because it's the 2nd away game against a playoff caliber team.)

That would put us at 10-4 going into week 16 at Seattle.

So, while we could start 1-4, I could totally see us going 11-5 (losing to Seattle week 16, winning at SF week 17).

I think more realistically, we might end up at 11-5, but that would require a better first 5 games, but we'll have to see.

My crystal ball is on the fritz so, unfortunately, I'll have to wait to find out just like everyone else...