Rams lose a game (vent thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Morris didn't overvalue it. He simply doesn't understand how to use it. Darious Williams should be exhibit A for that.
How is Darious Williams "exhibit A?" Are you saying that Morris is not using him correctly either?

~ArkyRamsFan~

TexasRam

Legend
We are in agreement that he doesn't understand how to use the pieces.

But I am afraid it might go deeper too. SF is going to be playing a young QB with great athleticism, the Seahawks have one who is a Hall of Famer, and this kid from the Cards destroyed us today due to an inability to contain. I'm not sure he has the pieces off the edge and losing Hollins was obviously really big.

And if he wants to play more cover two type looks by the safeties then he needs better ILBs who can cover ground underneath. I realize he's been trying to turn Young into that, but it's a tough transition at best. Still hoping for Jones but meh.

Same deal at Corner. Looks like they made a nice selection with Rochell but Long looks like ass and I don't know if I can say it's scheme. So there's a reasonable chance he's short a corner in addition to being shitty on the calls.

The interesting character study here is going to be McVay IMO. Can he make those bold moves with his friends and staff members like he does with players?
It truly is going to be interesting. Mcvay, the positive "family on three" type needing to make a decisive benching call that might look harsh. He is always saying team first and made the move with Goff since it was in his mind best for the team. So will he have the balls to do the same here? Is he all growns up to make a big boy call in season. Honestly this choice should not be that hard. Long jr. has struggled since day 1 and has been given chance after chance. The film says he is killing the team. He has never been a starter in the NFL that has proven anything.

Mcvay talks about leadership all the time. Leaders have to make hard calls that hurt feelings, it's a defining characteristic of a true leader. If he does nothing it's going to look awful weak.

My prediction is he gives Long and Rapp one more game then makes a change if it continues. Probably gives them a pep talk this week and a heads up where things are at and how he still believes in them. Short turnaround and then an extra few days before the Giants game will probably make logistic sense for such a change. After Wilson throws for 450 yards.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But I am afraid it might go deeper too. SF is going to be playing a young QB with great athleticism, the Seahawks have one who is a Hall of Famer, and this kid from the Cards destroyed us today due to an inability to contain. I'm not sure he has the pieces off the edge and losing Hollins was obviously really big.

And if he wants to play more cover two type looks by the safeties then he needs better ILBs who can cover ground underneath. I realize he's been trying to turn Young into that, but it's a tough transition at best. Still hoping for Jones but meh.

Same deal at Corner. Looks like they made a nice selection with Rochell but Long looks like ass and I don't know if I can say it's scheme. So there's a reasonable chance he's short a corner in addition to being shitty on the calls.

The interesting character study here is going to be McVay IMO. Can he make those bold moves with his friends and staff members like he does with players?
I respectfully disagree. Our problems with edge contain were mostly due to games upfront or dropping the athletic EDGEs into coverage. With guys like Kyler, you have to keep Leonard Floyd and the other EDGE on the LOS and use them to keep him in the pocket. You count on the interior pressure to make something happen. Too often, he'd just run to whichever side we had an interior DL trying to hold the edge on. And unsurprisingly, he can outrun SJD or Ashawn to the corner. We definitely missed Hollins, but Lewis didn't look to be the problem to me.

As for the DBs, if Burgess is healthy, he can play slot CB. Use Jalen as an outside CB against the #1, unless the opposing team has nobody decent at that spot. Long against A.J. Green or Hopkins is a mismatch.
How is Darious Williams "exhibit A?" Are you saying that Morris is not using him correctly either?

~ArkyRamsFan~
Correct. He's not using Williams correctly.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So not looking like we will get a 3rd rd comp pick for Morris next yr

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.

…you would have thought that one of the prerequisites for hiring a new defensive coach would be containment of mobile quarterbacks seeings as we have two of the best in the business in our division!!

..hopefully Morris and McVay can learn and learn quickly…. preferably by Thursday.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welp, after that loss we can only lose one more all year in the regular season.....

bluecoconuts

Legend
Went to bed hoping for a better second half result, and yeee-ikes was I wrong. Hopefully a little dose of humble pie helps these guys come back strong on Thursday.

MachS

Hall of Fame
And McVay has become addicted to the long ball and just couldn't stay with the run.
Not much McVay can do when they score 24 in the first half and get the ball to start the 2nd half. We had to pass to get back into it on a day the defense couldn't stop anything.

It's just hilarious how on the day we are running the ball at will, it's the day we get blown out and have to pass. Just super unfortunate.

Tano

Legend
Passing game off but running gam great..... So we abandon the run and give Murray more chances to score when we can't convert passing. Sound logic...
I really couldn't understand why we abandoned the run so often especially near the red zone.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Saw some AD looks old posts. And while yes, he's aging, it's VERY difficult for the pass rush to get home when the DBs are playing 5-7 yards off the recievers allowing quick throws.

Seems like Morris is forcing his players to scheme, rather than scheming to his players like Staley did. And that's 100% what I was worried about.

The current players we have didn't just forget how to play Defense. Yes, we lost JJ3 which hurt, and I'm not going to mention Troy Hill because he truly wasn't THAT good. He'd get beat 5-7 times and then make splash play.

The only true variable is different DC, and perhaps losing Aubrey Pleasant (who I wanted for DC, and he coached under the Staley scheme). And while I was on board with Raheem because you only hear great things about him, I was also worried because his track record isn't good at all. I thought perhaps it's due to lack of talent in the Defenses he had in ATL. And so far, it's due to lack of his talent. And it certainly worries me that him and McVay are close friends, and the fact that McVay could hold onto him TOO long.

As I said, you'd like to see improvement from Week 1 and now going into Week 5. But I can't (granted I've had to listen on the radio and read your comments) find or think of a single improvement. Whether it's Andy Dalton, Carson Wentz, Tom Brady or Kyler Murray.. the Offenses have been able to consistently move the ball up and down the field with ease.

Now sure, maybe he's playing soft coverage to prevent the big play, and is doing true bend but don't break.. WELL YOU'RE FUCKING BREAKING!

I don't think it's a "lack of talent", I truly think it's a lack of scheme, a lack of play calling, and honestly, a lack of Morris being good at what he does.

And for the record, DO NOT DO DELAYED BLITZES. YOU DELAY A BLITZER WHILE THEN TAKING A MAN OUT OF AN ALREADY SUSPECT COVERAGE, BE A BLITZ, OR BE NOTHING.

We're in some serious trouble if this Defense doesn't get it figured out, and fast.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Seems like Morris is forcing his players to scheme, rather than scheming to his players
Surviving in the world is about adapting to your environment and this applies to football. This Morris cat is just being hard headed and refuses to adapt. Which will lead to his demise along with a pretty talented group of players suffering through a disappointing season.

Tano

Legend
24 is a good player in the right role. Morris refuses to use him in that role. He should be playing as a hybrid safety/linebacker. Use him in the box to cover TEs and help stop the run when we need more athleticism on the field. He is not at home in deep coverage. Yet, Morris keeps sitting back in these C-2 shells with Rapp playing deep zones. Bring him into the box.
This times 1000

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And for the record, DO NOT DO DELAYED BLITZES. YOU DELAY A BLITZER WHILE THEN TAKING A MAN OUT OF AN ALREADY SUSPECT COVERAGE, BE A BLITZ, OR BE NOTHING.
There are times when a delayed blitz can be effective. It depends on the QB, how you disguise it, and how you use it. But against Tom Brady, I'd basically never use delayed blitzes. He's too good at getting the ball out quickly.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I really couldn't understand why we abandoned the run so often especially near the red zone.

It's one of McVay's worst habits, and we end up losing games every year precisely because of this. I just feel like sometimes he's chasing the dopamine hits of chunk plays and long passes and starts forcing things. He did this several times last year but was able to escape blame because Goff was on the team that took the brunt of it. McVay can't do that this year, not after the offseason we had, and especially not after we gave up a lot to get Stafford. No matter how good your QB is, he's going to have off days, and if you can run the ball on those days, you do it.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's one of McVay's worst habits, and we end up losing games every year precisely because of this. I just feel like sometimes he's chasing the dopamine hits of chunk plays and long passes and starts forcing things. He did this several times last year but was able to escape blame because Goff was on the team that took the brunt of it. McVay can't do that this year, not after the offseason we had, and especially not after we gave up a lot to get Stafford. No matter how good your QB is, he's going to have off days, and if you can run the ball on those days, you do it.

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1444795565926010881

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ignoring how bad we were on offense is awfully convenient...

Sure, we suck on defense... but multiple people have declared that they will put 100% of the blame on the D. Why? Because you can't walk back other comments you've made about how great this QB is compared to the last one?

Stafford and McVay were both EXTREMELY disappointing.

If you were expecting much out of our mediocre-at-best-Defense going against a GREAT O, you were setting yourself up for some disappointment. AZ Offense is by far the strength of that team.

To beat those guys, we needed our best unit (our Offense) to beat up on their worst unit (Defense).
But our O just shit the bed in the worst kind of way, espescially the two guys who can not be criticized.... they both flat out sucked.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Ignoring how bad we were on offense is awfully convenient...

Sure, we suck on defense... but multiple people have declared that they will put 100% of the blame on the D. Why? Because you can't walk back other comments you've made about how great this QB is compared to the last one?

Stafford and McVay were both EXTREMELY disappointing.

If you were expecting much out of our mediocre-at-best-Defense going against a GREAT O, you were setting yourself up for some disappointment. AZ Offense is by far the strength of that team.

To beat those guys, we needed our best unit (our Offense) to beat up on their worst unit (Defense).
But our O just shit the bed in the worst kind of way, espescially the two guys who can not be criticized.... they both flat out sucked.

We couldn't even make a 33 yard field goal. Every phase sucked. Every phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.