Rams @ Lions Post Game Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Much like last year, with a loss we can use this thread to vent frustrations about the game here, talk about things we liked, things we didn't like, cuss out the refs, whatever we need to do. Then tomorrow we'll bury the thread and move on to next week.

Remember, even with a loss we proved something today. Nobody gave us a shot and we took the Lions to the wire. We picked off Stafford 3 times and put up a fight in a game nobody expected us to be in.

If we can take one thing from this game, it's that this aint last years Rams. This is a team that's going to punch you in the mouth and fight till the last second. Teams that aren't ready are in for a huge wakeup call. We will shock some teams this year.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
Much like last year, with a loss we can use this thread to vent frustrations about the game here, talk about things we liked, things we didn't like, cuss out the refs, whatever we need to do. Then tomorrow we'll bury the thread and move on to next week.

Remember, even with a loss we proved something today. Nobody gave us a shot and we took the Lions to the wire. We picked off Stafford 3 times and put up a fight in a game nobody expected us to be in.

If we can take one thing from this game, it's that this aint last years Rams. This is a team that's going to punch you in the mouth and fight till the last second. Teams that aren't ready are in for a huge wakeup call. We will shock some teams this year.
I'm obviously pissed off that we lost, and how we lost, but we played well, actually better than I expected.

I was upset with the O and Bradford until the last two series (minus the one play series at the end). Then it looked like they were finally getting into sync and were moving the ball methodically, the way they planned it.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Usually the team that forces the most turnovers wins. But you can't shoot yourself in the foot with dumb penalties.

RamShack

UDFA
I still cant believe that we lost that game, Fish has to let the dogs go and stop playing so soft at the end. That's why we lost so the seahags 2 years ago go to the playoffs. I am disappointed, but its evident that we are not the Rams from last year!!!!!!!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The defensive play AFTER the Saffold injury was markedly different than our D-play before it. Instead of getting a huge boost by the Gibby TD, I think there was actually a huge shock, and it showed with the on-field play. I don't think we lose that game if Saffold doesn't get injured, especially on the TD play.

PhxRam

interference said:
The defensive play AFTER the Saffold injury was markedly different than our D-play before it. Instead of getting a huge boost by the Gibby TD, I think there was actually a huge shock, and it showed with the on-field play. I don't think we lose that game if Saffold doesn't get injured, especially on the TD play.

Was saying the same thing. Seemed like they were emotionally spent.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone know how many plays Quick and Givens got? I only remember seeing Givens on that one long play, don't even remember Quick on the field at all to be honest. None of them had any receptions.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
bluecoconuts said:
Anyone know how many plays Quick and Givens got? I only remember seeing Givens on that one long play, don't even remember Quick on the field at all to be honest. None of them had any receptions.
There was a pressure diagnosed quick-hitter that went incomplete because the receivers didn't react to it. Givens was in that play. I don't recall seeing Quick at all.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
That was my impression too. I think on the three WR sets it was Gibson, Smith, and Amendola. I noticed Givens on the one long pass play, but otherwise didn't see him out there that much.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:

Quick played 0 snaps.

IDK about snap count for Givens, however he only had that one target.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I believe Givens was targeted on that designed quick hitter as well. I think he was the receiver that didn't look for the ball and it zipped right past him.

My biggest concern after that game is that we couldn't exploit THAT secondary. Aside from the TD to Gibby and a few other plays, I felt we let their secondary off the hook.

Other than that, it was the poor play by the defense toward the end. I'm not sure if it was the Saffold injury or what but they have got to play to the end and they just didn't do it. And we also need to get more of a pass rush going. There were very few plays where Stafford had to hurry the play.

All that said, we played a very tough team and we almost beat them. Our secondary looked pretty damn good against a monster of an offense. Our O-line held up very well against a very good D-line.

had

Rookie
bluecoconuts said:

Was that the Rams O getting into a rhythm in the 4th quarter on Sunday? I thought that was really good. And the 3 picks -- Finnegan's pick 6 -- I don't see a Rams DB making that play last year. That was a good game, and the Rams did pretty well. That said, not sure how good Detroit is, and Stafford made some bad, unforced errors/throws for those picks, seemed to me, and the O scored 13 points, yes? Which is kind of par for last year, except that last year I don't see the O scoring anything in the 4th quarter. Seems like good progress. I think they need to run this Richardson kid more. That was a very decent Sunday for the Rams, based on recent history. yay

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
So I guess I lied about How many snaps Quick and Givens saw versus Detroit. The numbers I posted originally were from Rotoworld. Today Roto posted this

Rams rookie WR Brian Quick played just three snaps in Week 1 versus the Lions.

Brandon Gibson (46-of-58 snaps) was the surprise starter opposite Danny Amendola, pushing Steve Smith (23 snaps) into the third receiver role. Rookie Chris Givens was on the field for 18 snaps as the designated deep threat. Outside of Amendola in PPR leagues, there's no reliable fantasy value among the Rams receivers.

Alpha Ram

UDFA
How is it that nobody on the team or coaching staff realized the game clock error that cost them the ability to run the clock down to the 2:00 warning? The game clock stopped as if the referee called him out of bounds, while the play clock began. It wasn't for a good .06 seconds that the game clock restarted, giving the Lions a big benefit on the game clock. Bradford's 2nd down slide was timed such that the game clock should have been able to run it down, without taking the TO with .01 on the play clock (2:03 on the game clock). This allowed the Lions to with an .40 extra seconds on the game clock and their last remaining TO. They needed both to get the winning TD.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Alpha Ram said:
How is it that nobody on the team or coaching staff realized the game clock error that cost them the ability to run the clock down to the 2:00 warning? The game clock stopped as if the referee called him out of bounds, while the play clock began. It wasn't for a good .06 seconds that the game clock restarted, giving the Lions a big benefit on the game clock. Bradford's 2nd down slide was timed such that the game clock should have been able to run it down, without taking the TO with .01 on the play clock (2:03 on the game clock). This allowed the Lions to with an .40 extra seconds on the game clock and their last remaining TO. They needed both to get the winning TD.
I'm sure they knew something was wrong, but what are they going to do? Throw a red flag and stop the clock when they're trying to kill as much as they can? I'm not even sure at that point that they can throw a red flag; is the booth in charge of review then? Is clock management a reviewable aspect?

I've gotta believe the regular refs might have caught it, but who knows?

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Quixote said:
Alpha Ram said:
I'm sure they knew something was wrong, but what are they going to do? Throw a red flag and stop the clock when they're trying to kill as much as they can? I'm not even sure at that point that they can throw a red flag; is the booth in charge of review then? Is clock management a reviewable aspect?

I've gotta believe the regular refs might have caught it, but who knows?

Honestly, if it was me, I would have just ran the clock down and not used the timeout. When the refs threw the flag I'd go and tell them the issue, let them look at it, see they were wrong, and run the three seconds off. However that's assuming the refs are able to see that error in the stadium, which I'd imagine they are.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This was our first real game under Jeff Fisher and I feel we competed exceptionally well for a team that went 2 and 14 last year matching up with a playoff power. We kept it exciting until the end and showed that we can go toe to toe with anyone. We were very close to leaving Detroit as a winner. Detroit is one of the top offenses in the league undoubtably and with the highest paid receiver ever in history it's easy to see how our young defense struggled. We managed valuable turnovers and stayed smart offensively with possessions. If we continue to play the way we did in that game, not every team will be able to mount a last minute comeback.