Rams left OG post with 4 regular games left

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not much to say positive here as this Fisher team goes into week 14 riding very low after 8 losses out of 9 games. So I was trying to look for small nuggets of positive stuff. But I need to set this story first.....

The Rams OLG post has seen many different performers playing this part in this Ram offense the last 2 seasons. 2015 Boudreau started Rookie Jamon Brown @ OLG, who did fair enough as a rookie. But matters a few feet to Jamon Brown's left was outside of his controlled were going very badly & Boudreau had to perform emergency repair work in the middle of the bye week & move two starting OG's to help bring the OLT post back into working condition.

Bou's repair work to LT resulted in some long term damage to the 2 involved OG's in this move. Saffold played a few series @ OLG before seriously damaging his shoulder results injury, IR'd, shoulder reconstructive surgery. Rookie Brown did not settle into his new role @ RG. His performance on this new side declined JB like Saffold suffered a similar disaster was injured a few weeks later IR'd & surgery. But it did give us the best we have seen from GRob yet...was it worth it?

Onto this 2016 ......very early injury to 2015's NFL best starting rookie Right Tackle looks to have been a sign of doom for this OL. This event directly effected OLG post. It resulted in the move (one again) of Saffold into the starting ORT post for the entire OTA's/TC & pre season. Both OG posts were put into open competition while the other 3 post were set. Wichmann/Kush/Folkerts/Rhaney & Reynolds were all involved @ OLG. Notice who's name was missing Brown's. When 2016 began Saffold was reinserted @ OLG. :confused:

Now to finally get to the small positive nugget ....In last Sunday's game I observed that the OLG post was the best preforming OL post by far. Jamon Brown who getting healthy after a broken hand/wrist surgery started back @ OLG & played what I believe was his best game yet this season. I would hope that JB remains the starter @ OLG for the last 4 games & see if he is Goff's future OLG in 2017.

I know its not much...:sadwalk::bueller:

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Brown was terrible in 2015.
Beaten like a drum in every phase.
He seemed to improve at least run blocking during the preseason but his pass blocking was a total liability. It made sense to start Saffold over him. Now, Saffold played poorly which was disappointing. Brown did play better last week and in other spots this year.
Best case is he develops along with Grob....not giving up hope with that. Havenstein, despite his zero sacks last year, had trouble with speed rushers. This year those rushers are getting home. If those three can develop into good starters the Rams O line are almost there.