Rams LB Alec Ogletree's Improved Shape Helping on Field/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams LB Alec Ogletree's improved shape helping on field
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13819/alec-ogletrees-improved-shape-helping-on-field

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After St. Louis Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree's big performance against the Arizona Cardinals last week, I asked coach Jeff Fisher what had been the key to Ogletree's improved performance in the previous two games.

That effort came on the heels of a couple of rough outings, including a brief benching at the end of the loss to the Kansas City Chiefs after he picked up a second personal foul penalty. Fisher explained the Rams' recent alterations that helped put Ogletree in better position to make plays.

"He's played good football," Fisher said last week. "We've made a concerted effort to get him behind the ball, [defensive coordinator Gregg] Williams has. That's where he's best, just running and slipping blocks and taking on blocks. He's been much more productive. Good pressure. Ball skills, hands-on. He's playing much better in the last two weeks."

Ogletree followed those two performances with an even better one against the Denver Broncos this past week. According to unofficial pressbox statistics, Ogletree had 13 tackles, an interception, a pass breakup and a batted pass against Denver.

So Fisher was asked again Monday what's been the key to Ogletree's recent surge. He offered a similar refrain.

"I think he's got much better feel for what we're doing," Fisher said. "We're using him a lot more behind the ball, as opposed to just lining up on the line of scrimmage like a tight end. He's rushing well and I think (LB) James [Laurinaitis] is doing some really good things in there right now as far as identifying protections and putting us in positions to get free runners. Alec is playing really good in space."

This time, however, Fisher added one more small detail.

"It took him a while to get in good shape," Fisher said.

Apparently, Ogletree didn't report to training camp in the best shape and it took him some time to get to his normal conditioning level and speed.

"I don't think he was in the best of shape when he came to camp," Fisher said. "So, I think he's playing himself into really good shape right now."

That Ogletree didn't come to camp prepared is a disappointment and likely contributed to his slow start this season. He's played as well as any Rams defender over the past three weeks and his ascent has coincided with the entire defense's recent dominance. Which leaves one to wonder what could have been had he come in ready to go in the first place.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Hopfully he will learn from this and get his ass in shape before the season. One would think training camp would have done that but anymore they probably dont have much time for just straight conditioning.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yes, he was out of shape but I don't think one can make enough of the fact that he's off the line of scrimmage again and flowing to the football more.

It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, takes that position in the Rams D (lining up right over the TE) - maybe that's something Barron has a lot of experience doing - being up on the line.

Alan

Legend
Nobody seems to be thinking what the corollary to this is. As in what does this say about the contention that the problem with GW's system is the apparently steep learning curve? Ogletree's play was used as the prime example of that when it turns out that wasn't his problem at all. Who's the new poster boy for that theory?

I'm going with my original theory about GW.