Rams lament missed opportunities/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams lament missed opportunities
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/21874/rams-lament-missed-opportunities

ST. LOUIS -- It should tell you all you need to know about the state of the St. Louis Rams offense that on a day when their defense held the NFL's top-ranked offense to 12 points that linebacker James Laurinaitis found himself describing all the ways the defense could have played better.

"Well, quite frankly, we have got to find a way to get another turnover," Laurinaitis said. "They fumbled on a sack. We dropped a couple of their picks. You have got to make those plays, especially against a really good O. We fought back, we fought hard in that second half, really the second quarter on but we’ve got to find a way to get a couple more turnovers, flip field position and do our part."

To be fair, the Rams defense absolutely did its part in their 12-6 loss to the Steelers on Sunday afternoon. But Laurinaitis is right, in a game in which one big play might have tipped the scales in their favor, one caught interception, recovered fumble or long ball reeled in could have been the difference.

Such is life for a team with one of the slimmest margins for error in the NFL. But while winning teams often make their own luck, the Rams seemed to find themselves openly RSVPing no to every invitation they received to make that game-altering play.

Perhaps most maddening were three dropped balls that cost the Rams a potential touchdown, interception and first down, respectively.

At the top of the list was tight end Lance Kendricks' drop on a deep pass down the left sideline early in the third quarter. It was a play strikingly similar to the touchdown he caught in week 1 against Seattle but this time, Kendricks failed to haul it in. After the game, Kendricks said he saw the ball leave quarterback Nick Foles' hand but didn't see it again until it hit him in the facemask.

"I saw the ball go up, I just lost it in the light," Kendricks said. "I couldn’t see it coming down at all. It’s tough because those are the plays we’ve got to make to win the game. But if I could take that back, I would catch it 100 times over. I just lost it in the light. It’s hard to keep track of it when the ball was high in the air but I’ve still got to come down with it."

It wasn't the only backbreaking near-miss for the Rams.

"Yeah, that’s hard," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We had three drops today and you’re in a field position game like that where there’s potential swings and potential first downs, those are hard to overcome. He didn’t drop it on purpose but he needs to make that play."

The same could be said for Kendricks' first-quarter drop on what should have been a relatively easy first down. That drop killed the Rams' first drive near midfield. Of course, he wasn't alone in that.

With 10 minutes to play, Steelers quarterback Michael Vick fired a pass right at cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, who had plenty of room to run in front of him had he been able to catch it and run. Instead, he dropped it and the Steelers punted it away. On Pittsburgh's previous possession, Rams end Robert Quinn got to Vick for a sack, forcing a fumble at Pittsburgh's 27 but running back Le'Veon Bell beat Rams defenders to the ball.

It's nitpicking to say the Rams could have done more on two positive plays but they know that those are the types of plays that can determine an outcome in any given week.

"The margin of error is four five plays," Laurinaitis said. "There’s four or five plays that really decide football games it seems like every Sunday. Very rarely do you have teams just doing whatever the heck they want on you or vice-versa. So it comes down to a few explosive plays that really make all the difference. The margin of error is super small in this league."

On Sunday, the Rams got another painful reminder of just how small it is.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' offense lives up to low expectations in loss to Steelers
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...es-up-to-low-expectations-in-loss-to-steelers

ST. LOUIS -- The biggest spark the St. Louis Rams' offense provided Sunday in a 12-6 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers came when the turf caught fire as they were being introduced before the game.

It was all downhill from there as the Rams' anemic offense that most feared would start the season was unable to come up with a big play -- any big play -- to help a defense that spent most of the day doing yeoman's work against Pittsburgh's mighty offense.

"Six points isn't going to win you a whole lot of games and I think we're averaging eight points a game the last two weeks, and that's not going to get it done," coach Jeff Fisher said. "That's my biggest area of concern. We played a good defense today. Nonetheless ... with all due respect to [kicker] Greg Zuerlein, I don't want to see him on the field as much. We need to put the ball in the end zone."

The problem here isn't that the Rams' offense struggled on Sunday -- and it did with just 258 yards, 12 first downs, a 2-for-10 third-down conversion rate and two field goals -- it's that this is exactly the concern that most outside observers had before the season began.

The defense looked like the playoff-ready group many thought it would be entering the season. The Rams held the Steelers' previously top-ranked offense to 259 yards and 2.8 yards per carry and came up with five sacks. It was a return to the form of Week 1 against Seattle after a painful hiccup last week in Washington.

But while the defense has been mostly as advertised, so too has the offense. After an offseason in which the Rams changed their offensive coordinator and quarterback, the running backs and three spots on the offensive line, it was reasonable to expect the offense to take time to coalesce even if time is precious in a short 16-game NFL season.

The hope was that the defense could hold the fort and the offense could squeeze out just enough to help the Rams get off to a fast start with the offense coming together after the Week 6 bye.

Over the past two weeks, facing solid if unspectacular defenses in Washington and Pittsburgh, the Rams have scored 16 points, gone 4-for-22 on third down and mustered just 23 first downs.

The run game, which was supposed to be the Rams' bread and butter and the easier transition for their two rookie offensive linemen, has been mostly nonexistent. The Rams running backs are averaging 2.7 yards per carry in three games and their leading rusher against the Steelers was receiver Chris Givens, who took a reverse 24 yards in the fourth quarter.

Overall, the Rams are averaging 3.75 yards per carry when you include receivers and quarterback scrambles, which is better but still not good enough. Receiver Tavon Austin is tied with Benny Cunningham for the team lead in rushing with just 57 yards.

"We have to be able to [run the ball]," quarterback Nick Foles said. "Once we get the run game going better, it's going to really open up a lot of things."

In the meantime, the Rams must find a way to hit on big plays when the opportunity arises. They did it against Seattle when they had eight plays of 20-plus yards. In the past two weeks combined, they have three. But they've also missed chances for more such as tight end Lance Kendricks' drop of a potential long touchdown in the third quarter Sunday.

For an offense with an already slim margin for error, such miscues can't happen.

"Our defense did a tremendous job today," Foles said. "They gave us an opportunity. We have to score more points than them in those situations.

"As an offense, that's something that we're learning. This is a tough situation. This is just part of it, and it's just: How do you learn from this? ... Don't let it get you down. I mean, it's early in the season. We're 1-2. The world's not ending. We will figure it out. We have a bunch of young guys that go to work every day and they want to get better, and that's what I see. That's why I’m optimistic, because of the guys we have. My goal is just to keep grinding forward, and by the end of the year, we'll be where we want to be."

Perhaps they will, but an offense that might be where it wants to be by the end of the year while the defense toils away for the first part of the season? Sounds like the recipe for another lost season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
JL55 is correct. This defense must play better...it must pick-up the offense....4 or 5 plays are definitely the key in most games....

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Monday to give his take on the Rams’ Week 3 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Listen to JT Talk Rams-Steelers

JT’s take on the loss to the Steelers:

“It’s 9-3 and we’re at halftime. Then (Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger). And I thought the Rams had a real chance to win the game. Chalk it up to another missed opportunity. They really could be 3-0. They were outplayed in the Washington game, but there’s no way they should’ve lost to Washington. It looks like another slow start. Now they have to go to arguably the next two best teams in the NFC.”

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
JL55 is correct. This defense must play better...it must pick-up the offense....4 or 5 plays are definitely the key in most games....
Holding the opponent to 12 points should be enough. I remember the year the Ray Lewis Ravens won the SB that his catch phrase was just give me 13 points of offense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Holding the opponent to 12 points should be enough. I remember the year the Ray Lewis Ravens won the SB that his catch phrase was just give me 13 points of offense.
Should be coder, but sadly it's not...We're 32nd in offense....We're gonna need a lil more, esp. with the total breakdowns by the QB for 2 weeks...missing too many throws...

SierraRam

Recreational User
with all due respect to [kicker] Greg Zuerlein, I don't want to see him on the field as much. We need to put the ball in the end zone."

Yeah, getting in the end zone is nice, but you have a weapon in Zuerlein. We passed on an opportunity for a 55 yd FG for a punt into the end zone.

Add that decision and Hekker's 4th down short-hop pass (I know, his first ever) to the list of '4 or 5 plays...'