Rams key stats through six games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
OFFENSE
Scoring: 25.5ppg (T-9th)
Rushing: 98.3ypg (22nd)
Passer Rating: 80.8 (27th)
QB Sacked Percentage: 4.65% (8th)
Yards Per Attempt: 6.6 (18th)
Yards Per Completion: 10.7 (15th)
Third Down Conversion: 36% (18th)

* OL got trucked vs SF but not every game has been that poor of a performance. Boom struggled over the first six before his injury but the OTs and Allen have also had their moments.
* Goff has been slow on his reads all season and it has affected the play makers where instead of getting the ball in space catches are contested and there's little green around them. Result is fewer big plays. He also has suffered from the rush and lack of a run game obviously but he has to speed things up IMO and maybe this year's OL will help him raise the bar on his processing speed, i.e. in his development curve maybe this period will benefit him.
* Run game requires someone to carry the load. Gurley injured. Of course Brown now that we need him once again is reportedly injured (he has a disturbing ability IMO to NOT be available WHEN we need him). Hendy looked good until the flub on the pitch then went directly into the doghouse, can he carry the load moving forward? Keep saying it, but CJ is out there. We need someone we can RELY on, who can carry the load and be the horse to make defenses respect the run game.
* I am waiting for word on who will start at LG which as we all know is a huge decision and I hope Edwards is the guy, if it's Demby that will extend the struggles IMO. They also need to open up competition with Allen to push him (there wasn't any real competition on this roster for him) so I hope Corbett can do that.

DEFENSE
Scoring: 25.7ppg (27th)
Rushing: 105.5 (16th)
Opposing Passer Rating: 90.9 (17th)
Sack Percentage: 5.94% (19th) <adjusted sack percentage is also ranked 19th>
Yards Per Attempt: 7.0 (T-12th)
Yards Per Completion: 11 (18th)
Third Down Conversion: 42.50% (20th)

Some advanced defensive run game stats (I wanted to look a little deeper on the run defense :D)...
Stuffed Runs (RB tackled at or behind the LOS): 20% (10th)
Power Success (Success rate of stopping short yardage runs): 53% (7th)

* The defense has really been our biggest problem when you look at the points allowed. Now granted they have been given some terrible situations that don't show in the stats, most likely worse than most units have faced, so I think they're a little bit better than their points allowed show but still the unit has been a disappointment.
* Our biggest problem IMO is in the secondary where lack of discipline and poor pattern matching/handoffs in zone between DBs have led to blown coverages, big plays, and poor coverage on key downs. These things have also allowed teams to get back ahead of the chains when they're behind, turning 2nd and long into 3rd and short. Lastly it's been up and down and it's why they moved Peters and grabbed Ramsey as they tend to do better in their man looks. But that said even with Ramsey they need to fix these things when they face the scrambling QBs that are on our schedule ahead.
* It will be nice to get Matthews back when that happens. With him out we have a backup starting which affects everything when the offense now only has to work protections for Fowler on the edge. Who, btw, has done some good and bad things. I think he loses contain too much, i.e. risks it more than he should, but he also plays the run well when he's in position. Look for them to start giving Obo opportunity to push for more time too, as Fowler is going to leave in FA now.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO we will see a very different D now that Petets is gone. Wade can now use press man to help slow down the quick pass game. But Weddle is going to have a larger responsibility in keeping everything in front of him. Dont know if Rapp has had any reps at JJs spot or only as the hybrid S/LB, but I dont feel to comfortable with Christian playing JJs role. The tighter man coverage also puts the CBs closer for run support, so it will benefit the D greatly IMO.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
+Ramsey -Peters changes a lot more than 1 CB post and press man will impact the whole team.

The OCs and QBs of today's NFL will give you a death by a thousand cuts if you run zone coverage and can't move the QB off his spot. This is in part to the rule changes of the modern NFL and the way the offenses are being designed, imo. I think that's kind of the evolution of the game.

If you believe the Rams, they would have made this move regardless of our record. I believe them.