Rams’ Kenny Britt having career year after QB carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20161028/rams-kenny-britt-having-career-year-after-qb-carousel

AR-161029447.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

THOUSAND OAKS — Sitting in the Rams locker room, Kenny Britt is shouting to no one in particular.

“First-round draft pick from Rutgers University,” he says. “First ever! Can’t take that! That’ll be in history. That’ll be there from now on until I die — and then after that!”

The 28-year-old has had an up-and-down career, but there’s a reason why he was drafted 30th overall out of Rutgers in 2009. At 6-foot-3, 223 pounds, his frame screams “prototype receiver.” During one practice this year, he casually did a standing backflip. Two weeks ago in Detroit, he finished off a juggling, one-handed catch by clamping the ball between his legs.

The numbers are there too. Seven games into his eighth season, Britt is in on pace to finish with 1,222 receiving yards — a figure that would top his career high by 447. It would also make him the Rams’ first 1,000-yard receiver since Torry Holt nearly a decade ago.

What’s behind the renaissance of a player once dismissed as a first-round bust? One factor might be a steadier relationship with his quarterback. Britt has already played with nine starters — as well as six offensive coordinators — since entering the league, never catching passes from the same person through a full season.

“It’s kind of crazy,” Britt says. “Different quarterbacks, different coordinators, different playbooks — each year for me is like a new start and a new beginning. It’s like I’m a rookie again, all around.”

During his first two years in the league, Britt split time with Titans quarterbacks Vince Young and Kerry Collins. He would have played a full 16-game slate with Matt Hasselbeck in 2011, but tore his ACL and MCL in his third outing. After the injury, Hasselbeck described Britt as “probably the most talented player on this team at any position.”

Over the next two years, Tennessee started not only Hasselbeck, but Jake Locker and Ryan Fitzpatrick. In 2013, Britt caught just 11 passes for 93 yards and was inactive through his final four games.

After the Titans tried and failed to trade him away, the Rams signed him as a free agent. But St. Louis didn’t offer any more consistency under center. Britt arrived in 2014 expecting to play with Sam Bradford, practicing with the former No. 1 pick through OTAs and training camp. In a radio interview that August, Britt said, “I never had a quarterback with that accuracy.”

Less than two weeks later, Bradford tore his ACL — leaving Britt to play eight games apiece with journeymen Austin Davis and Shaun Hill. He still finished with 748 receiving yards, the second-highest total of his career.

Few would consider Case Keenum an above-average NFL quarterback, let alone a superstar. He has thrown seven interceptions in his past three games, and boasts a passer rating (77.5) that ranks 28th in the league. But since supplanting Nick Foles last season, Keenum has started 12 games with Britt — already more than any quarterback in his career except Young and Locker.

Britt has responded, ranking 11th in the league with 535 receiving yards. Among top-20 receivers, only three can best his catch rate of 68.8 percent. On 16 fewer targets, he has produced 236 more yards than fellow receiver Tavon Austin, whom the Rams just signed to a four-year, $42 million extension.

“The comfort that Case and Kenny have right now is real,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said earlier this month.

“Normally,” Britt says, “we just look at each other and know what’s going on.”

How long this connection lasts is unclear, particularly with Keenum coming off an ugly four-pick performance. Rams head coach Jeff Fisher has insisted he will stick with Keenum as his starter, but fans and media have clamored for a look at Jared Goff, the rookie who cost the Rams six premium draft picks.

If a switch happens, well, at least Britt has experience adjusting to new faces.

“We’ve got to start in the classroom, talk to each other, watching film,” he says. “‘OK, this is how it is — what are you thinking? What am I thinking?’

“If you have a quarterback and a receiver on the same page, no one’s going to stop you but yourself.”

KENNY BRITT FILE

In less than eight full NFL seasons, Rams receiver Kenny Britt has already played with nine starting quarterbacks. Here’s a look at his year-to-year production, along with his quarterbacks — and their respective number of starts — and offensive coordinators.

75 targets, 42 catches, 701 yards, 3 TD

Quarterback: Vince Young (10 starts), Kerry Collins (6 starts)

Offensive coordinator: Mike Heimerdinger

73 targets, 42 catches, 775 yards, 9 TD

QB: Vince Young (7), Kerry Collins (5)

OC: Mike Heimerdinger*

2011**

26 targets, 17 catches, 289 yards, 3 TD

QB: Matt Hasselbeck (3)

OC: Chris Palmer

90 targets, 45 catches, 589 yards, 4 TD

QB: Jake Locker (9), Matt Hasselbeck (5)

OC: Chris Palmer / Dowell Loggains

35 targets, 11 catches, 96 yards, 0 TD

QB: Jake Locker (6), Ryan Fitzpatrick (6)

OC: Dowell Loggains

84 targets, 48 catches, 748 yards, 3 TD

QB: Austin Davis (8), Shaun Hill (8)

OC: Brian Schottenheimer

72 targets, 36 catches, 681 yards, 3 TD

QB: Nick Foles (11), Case Keenum (5)

OC: Frank Cignetti / Rob Boras

48 targets, 33 catches, 535 yards, 2 TD

QB: Case Keenum (7)

OC: Rob Boras

*Mike Heimerdinger remained the Titans’ offensive coordinator through the entire 2010 season despite being diagnosed with cancer in November. He died in September 2011.

**Britt would have played with Hasselbeck for the entire 2011 season, but he tore his ACL on Sept. 25.

Note: Only starting quarterbacks who played games with Britt were included on this list. That left out names such as Sam Bradford – who worked with Britt as a starter for an entire offseason before tearing his ACL – and Rusty Smith, who started one game for the Titans in 2010 when Britt was out with an injured hamstring.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
992 yards in his last 16 games. Hes going to get his 1000 yards and hopefully his first pro bowl.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Revised as of 10/25/2016

Wide receivers are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this WR caught the ball, compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average WR in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. DVOA (and its cousin, VOA, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.

Effective Yards, listed in red, translate DVOA into a yards per attempt figure. This provides an easy comparison: in general, players with more Effective Yards than standard yards played better than standard stats would otherwise indicate, while players with fewer Effective Yards than standard yards played worse than standard stats would otherwise indicate. Effective Yards are not the best way to measure total value because they are more dependent on usage than DYAR.

DYAR and DVOA include all passes intended for the receiver, both complete and incomplete. Catch Rate represents the percentage of passes to this receiver completed. This is a reference to incomplete passes, not dropped passes: dropped passes are not specified in publicly available play-by-play, and unfortunately we cannot yet correct for this.

• We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other.
  • These statistics measure only passes thrown to a receiver, not performance on plays when he is not thrown the ball, such as blocking and drawing double teams.
  • All fumbles are considered equal, whether recovered by the offense or defense.
  • DPI lists the number of plays and yards where the receiver drew Defensive Pass Interference. These plays are incorporated into DVOA and DYAR, but are not included in the totals for Passes or Yards.
  • Opponent adjustments are currently at 70 percent strength and will increase each week until they reach full strength after Week 10.
e6fafed37767489a9c194b947e58d902.jpeg

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping they get him signed for the next couple years . Seems like a team leader and plays hard .

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm on the fence with Britt.

I think he's a good player and I am rooting for him. But he's been in the league a long time and never topped 800yds. That screams buyer beware.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Britt definitely has all of the physical tools a WR needs... but I always get the sense that the mental part of the game is too much for him to master. He just seems too cavalier during crunch time in games for me.

Imagine Britt with an attitude like Steve Smith Sr.... he would be the best WR of all time.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
992 yards in his last 16 games. Hes going to get his 1000 yards and hopefully his first pro bowl.
I think only an injury, God forbid, can stop Britt From having a Great year! (y) Especially when the Rams start putting together Complete game in all three aspects of the game, Offence-Defense and Special Teams!;):D

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still can't forget the time he crashed the little golf cart/race car with Quick as his passenger.

That was funny as hell.

Anyways, Britt has been making plays and making some clutch catches. Need to lock him up til retirement.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm hoping they get him signed for the next couple years . Seems like a team leader and plays hard .
Except for when he doesn't.....see the play vs the Giants. He is nicked up a lot and has just ok hands. The Rams will not be in the position to land a big FA WR....that is probably just as well as they are almost always way over priced. Maybe both Britt and Quick can be retained for less than a high profile FA. That would work for me.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
My support of Britt is well documented. His ability to get open deep is proven. He's been doing it consistently for years, but the QB play has never been up to par. He also excels at slant routes and is a threat in the middle of the field - it isn't his fault the Rams refuse to attack that area.

Britt is a tremendously under-appreciated player. For some reason I cannot figure out, every off-season Rams fans hope the younger players in the franchise (first Quick, and now Mike Thomas...) make him expendable. Not me. You would think a team as offensively challenged as the Rams would appreciate their one conventional WR that has a proven ability to put up numbers and get yards in chunks. Every year his average yards numbers are huge - when our sorry QBs can actually connect with Britt, he makes big plays.

If his salary demands are in the realm of reasonable we need to lock him up. Because if you think any talented FA's from outside the organisation are going to sign for this offensively-challenged roster for anything less than a massive overpayment.... you're dreaming. And this team struggles to develop WRs via the draft and develop route. We have to keep Britt in horns. Quick is playing well but, unlike Britt, is unproven. Britt may not be a #1 WR but I'd say he's darn close and right at the cusp. He's an elite #2 IMO. If the Rams had good QB play I think the rest of the NFL would acknowledge that. He also provides veteran leadership to a young WR group that needs it.

He does drop a few balls he shouldn't. But not every player can be among the league's best at their position. They still have a place on a winning NFL roster.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Britt definitely has all of the physical tools a WR needs... but I always get the sense that the metal part of the game is too much for him to master. He just seems too cavalier during crunch time in games for me.

Imagine Britt with an attitude like Steve Smith Sr.... he would be the best WR of all time.

Yeah, if he went out there with the mindset "I'm the best player on this field, I want the ball" I could see him really separating himself from the average receivers.

fearsomefour

Legend
My support of Britt is well documented. His ability to get open deep is proven. He's been doing it consistently for years, but the QB play has never been up to par. He also excels at slant routes and is a threat in the middle of the field - it isn't his fault the Rams refuse to attack that area.

Britt is a tremendously under-appreciated player. For some reason I cannot figure out, every off-season Rams fans hope the younger players in the franchise (first Quick, and now Mike Thomas...) make him expendable. Not me. You would think a team as offensively challenged as the Rams would appreciate their one conventional WR that has a proven ability to put up numbers and get yards in chunks. Every year his average yards numbers are huge - when our sorry QBs can actually connect with Britt, he makes big plays.

If his salary demands are in the realm of reasonable we need to lock him up. Because if you think any talented FA's from outside the organisation are going to sign for this offensively-challenged roster for anything less than a massive overpayment.... you're dreaming. And this team struggles to develop WRs via the draft and develop route. We have to keep Britt in horns. Quick is playing well but, unlike Britt, is unproven. Britt may not be a #1 WR but I'd say he's darn close and right at the cusp. He's an elite #2 IMO. If the Rams had good QB play I think the rest of the NFL would acknowledge that. He also provides veteran leadership to a young WR group that needs it.

He does drop a few balls he shouldn't. But not every player can be among the league's best at their position. They still have a place on a winning NFL roster.
He is not Al that different than Quick in that he has not been all the productive. The physical taker is undeniable.
Best case is he continues a good year and signs a resonable deal.
The idea of two big explosive WRs is enticing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he's been in the league a long time and never topped 800yds. That screams buyer beware.
It also screams, "Never plays with a legit QB"
His catch to target rate is typically in the 60% category, which is darned good

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It also screams, "Never plays with a legit QB"
His catch to target rate is typically in the 60% category, which is darned good

That's what the guys who offer contracts need to figure out.

I just know we have a track record of paying guys based on projections... which regardless of this season is exactly what it will take signing Britt.