Rams joint practice with Raiders day two

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Gabe Jackson, was rolled up on from behind.

"We're concerned, obviously," Raiders coach Jon Gruden said. "Really concerned about him."
Never want to see anyone hurt from a freaking scrimmage.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-the-rams-second-joint-practice-with-the-raiders

10 Observations from the Rams second joint practice with the Raiders
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER

NAPA, Calif. - In the lead up to the first preseason game of the summer, the Rams and Raiders are having a pair of joint practices. With action on two separate fields, here are 10 notes from the second session, focusing specifically on the Rams' defense.

1) The Rams and Raiders had competitive one-on-one drills between the offensive and defensive lines. Rookie nose tackle Greg Gaines used a rip move to get underneath Raiders OL Jordan Devey and into the backfield. Trevon Young also had a spin move to get into the backfield around a right tackle.

2) Still on DL vs. OL drills, defensive tackle Aaron Donald and outside linebacker Dante Fowler got past Raiders’ left guard and left tackle Richie Incognito and Kolton Miller, respectively, with a combination stunt.

3) In 11-on-11 drills, Donald and Fowler kept it going defensively with a play that would have been a sack. The pair got penetration on the defense’s right, leaving quarterback Derek Carr nowhere to go.

4) The Rams’ defense was flying around throughout the day, coming up to defend short passes well. Safety John Johnson had one example in 11-on-11, coming up to stop a swing pass at about the line of scrimmage on the defense’s left.

5) Los Angeles has mainly had JoJo Natson on punt returns throughout the summer, but wide receiver Austin Proehl was deep to return a few punts on Thursday. We’ll see how much time each player receives at the spot in the first preseason game on Saturday.

6) In red zone 11-on-11 drills, outside linebacker Clay Matthews batted down a Carr pass on the defense’s right. It was the second play of the segment, and Carr got flushed out of the pocket with the Rams’ pass rush.

7) During the next segment of 11-on-11 work, defensive lineman Morgan Fox batted down a Carr pass behind the line of scrimmage as well. Carr was trying to get a pass off on the run, but Fox chased him down and got his arms up to prevent the QB from finding a throwing lane.

8) Working with the first-team defense, rookie safety Taylor Rapp broke up an intermediate pass in the middle of the field to Raiders rookie wide receiver Hunter Renfroe. Rapp had to run up and get his hand between the receiver and the ball, and did it well.

9) Cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman also had a pass breakup late in practice on the same receiver in Renfroe. Robey-Coleman’s PBU came on what looked like a slant route on the defense’s left. Carr clearly likes Rendroe a lot, as the fifth-round pick seems to be excelling from the slot.

10) Finally, Fowler had a long conversation with Oakland right tackle Trent Brown following the conclusion of practice. Brown, who signed a lucrative four-year contract with the Raiders over the offseason, is well regarded as one of the better offensive tackles in football. He won Super Bowl LIII with the Patriots back in February.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13127022.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 4 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams finished up their second practice with the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, but not without some fireworks. The two teams got into a brawl during practice as punches were thrown and tempers flared.

Fortunately, things got under control and they were able to finish the day of work, but the intensity was heightened to another level from Wednesday’s practice.

Here are some notes and takeaways from Day 2 of practice with the Raiders.

Fight breaks out at practice
As previously mentioned, a fairly large fight broke out during practice as both sidelines cleared to get in on the action.

Aaron Donald involved in a skirmish

Aaron Donald was involved in a scuffle with Gabe Jackson during pass-rush drills. Jackson was later carted off the practice field with a leg injury, though it’s unknown if the battle with Donald was the cause.

Gurley, Whitworth held out
Todd Gurley did not practice, nor did Andrew Whitworth. They were both held out of practice, which was the plan all along. The Rams have been giving Gurley every other day off to manage his workload and keep his knee healthy.

Joseph Noteboom steps in at LT
Once again, Noteboom got the nod at left tackle with Whitworth getting the day off. He’s the starting left guard and backup left tackle, giving him big responsibilities for the upcoming season.

Pass rush stands out
The pass rush was excellent in the second day of practice against Oakland. Dante Fowler Jr., in particular, stood out to JB Long, who was in attendance for practice. During his recap of practice, Long mentioned Fowler as a standout from Thursday.

Rapp causes interception
Taylor Rapp made a great play on the ball in 7-on-7 drills, tipping the ball to Micah Kiser for an interception.

Wide receivers look fresh
The Rams’ wide receivers have excellent footwork, which we already knew. They looked great in this drill, showing off their quickness and hands.

Marcus Peters heckled
Marcus Peters heard an earful from the fans in Napa Valley, and he responded with a gesture and some words of his own.

Robey-Coleman beat by rookie
Hunter Renfrow beat Nickell Robey-Coleman fairly easily on this rep, making a nice grab in the corner of the end zone.

Oakland Raiders

âś”@Raiders

This @renfrowhunter catch is a work of art.
1f5bc.png

12:19 PM - Aug 8, 2019

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/08/nfl-rams-raiders-practice-notes-highlights-news/

Fight breaks out, punches thrown during Raiders, Rams joint practice
Originally posted on Sportsnaut | By Jesse Reed | Last updated 8/8/19

During Thursday’s joint practice between the Oakland Raiders and Los Angeles Rams, a fight broke out between Oakland’s offense and the defense of the Rams.

Raiders offensive tackle Tyler Roemer was in the middle of it all, getting his helmet taken off and then taking some shots to the head.

Not surprisingly, it was none other than Sean McVay and Jon Gruden who jumped into the fray to break up the mini-brawl.

And according to ESPN’s J.B. Long, McVay had to sprint from the other practice field to get there.

This was the second day of joint practices between these two teams, so it’s hardly surprising that they got into a couple of skirmishes.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...raiders_rams_joint_practice/s1_12680_29699360

Aaron Donald involved in fight at Raiders-Rams joint practice; Marcus Peters gives obscene gesture to Oakland fans
Punches were thrown at the combined practice between the Raiders and Rams, with Rams head coach Sean McVay stepping in
The Oakland Raiders are already making headlines in training camp as the NFL's featured team on Hard Knocks. If the Antonio Brown offseason saga prior to Oakland's decision to acquire him via trade wasn't already enough, the star wide receiver has since suffered severe frostbite after not wearing the proper footwear in a cryotherapy machine.

Another day, another story coming out of Raiders camp. Just 30 minutes into the combined practice session, Raiders and Los Angeles Rams players were throwing punches for a brief period before Rams head coach Sean McVay ran onto the field to break it up. Both teams resumed practice shortly after.

Raiders offensive tackle Tyler Roemer was in the middle of the fight, per Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area. Another scuffle involved Raiders right guard Gabe Jackson and Rams All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald.
This is significant because reports later surfaced Jackson was carted off after failing to put pressure on his one of his legs. Jackson's injury appeared to have occurred during a team session. Jackson allowed five sacks last season, which was fifth among guards. He allowed 23 hurries and one quarterback hit in 540 pass-blocking snaps last season. Former 2016 undrafted free agent Denver Kirkland replaced Jackson as Oakland's first-team right guard in practice.

Later in the practice, Bair tweeted the Raiders fans attending camp heckled Rams cornerback Marcus Peters, who responded with the middle finger, then some choice words for the fans. Peters yelled at a heckling fan with a profanity-laced tirade during the Rams' 30-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagleslast year, so this isn't his first incident.

Regardless of Jackson's injury and the peters aftermath, the Raiders fight with the Rams will surely be on Hard Knocks in the coming weeks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...peters-gives-obscene-gesture-to-oakland-fans/

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lame reporting. Noteboom slides over to LT, nice, but he doesn't finish by telling us who took Noteboom's spot at LG. Thx for leaving us hanging Cameron.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Lame reporting. Noteboom slides over to LT, nice, but he doesn't finish by telling us who took Noteboom's spot at LG. Thx for leaving us hanging Cameron.

Was thinking the same thing Bubba. Also would like to have known how Noteboom went at LT. And that's why we all prefer the TC reports from yourself VRF and Duke!!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

I agree, however, unless I've been reading things wrong throughout the offseason that guy would be Jamil Demby.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Everett and Fowler names keep coming up. They're my picks for breakout players on both sides of the ball.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everett and Fowler names keep coming up. They're my picks for breakout players on both sides of the ball.

I'm not fully convinced on Everett quite yet. I think he will be a very good receiving TE finally, but I'm not sure he's up to
Higbee's level as a blocker, and that is so important.

Fowler looks like this is his breakout year. Hopefully the Rams can afford him long term. I think he will be causing rival QBs significant pain.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
10) Finally, Fowler had a long conversation with Oakland right tackle Trent Brown following the conclusion of practice. Brown, who signed a lucrative four-year contract with the Raiders over the offseason, is well regarded as one of the better offensive tackles in football. He won Super Bowl LIII with the Patriots back in February.

Brown and Fowler were teammates at the University of Florida. I imagine that's why they were catching up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-aaron-donald-practice-with-raiders-learning-experience

Quotes & Notes 8/8: Aaron Donald views Rams' second joint practice with Raiders as valuable learning experience

After each media session, Quotes and Notes will bring you what was said, who said it, and what it means for your Los Angeles Rams. Here’s what you should know from Thursday, Aug. 8.

“We talk about that ownership all the time and I thought our leaders did a great job of getting everybody under control and we use that as a learning opportunity. I think we did.”
– DT Aaron Donald

"What I loved was the fact that our guys were able to regather themselves, had our poise and composure about ourselves – in terms of being able to finish out practice."
– HC Sean McVay

• A short skirmish broke out between the Raiders’ offense and the Rams’ defense during 11-on-11 work in Thursday’s joint practice.
  • While McVay said he wasn’t sure what caused it, both he and Donald were proud of how players responded to the situation and allowed the session to continue.
  • McVay also gave credit to Oakland for swiftly moving past the incident and allowing both teams to continue the joint practice, since sometimes those moments can lead to those practices getting canceled. He is correct, too – prior to his arrival, the Rams and the Dallas Cowboys had to end their final joint practice session during the 2015 preseason early due to multiple fights.

“We want that work. It’s going to get you prepared for the season, so you want that work.”
– CB Marcus Peters

• Peters was looking forward to going up against Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown during this week’s joint practice sessions, but Brown was unable to participate because he’s battling frostbitten feet according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
  • A two-time Pro-Bowler and former First-Team All-Pro selection, Peters is no stranger to embracing the challenge presented by going up against elite wide receivers like Brown. Last season, he defended four of the league’s top 10 leaders in receiving yards.
  • Despite Brown’s absence, Peters said the Rams’ defense still got in some good work with other talented receivers like Tyrell Williams available for Oakland.

“The defensive players you mentioned (LB Micah Kiser and DT Sebastian Joseph-Day), we expect those guys to play and then we’re going to talk about (OL) Joseph (Noteboom) and (C) Brian (Allen).”
– HC Sean McVay

• Heading into this weekend’s preseason-opener against the Raiders, McVay was asked whether Kiser, Joseph-Day, Noteboom and Allen will play on Saturday.
  • It’s an appropriate question, as all four are young players slated to be starters based on the team’s unofficial depth chart and could thus benefit from the experience, according to McVay.
  • McVay said he was going to speak with run game coordinator Aaron Kromer before making a decision on whether they will play Allen and Notebloom.
  • If both play, McVay said it would be for just “a couple of series.”

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'm not fully convinced on Everett quite yet. I think he will be a very good receiving TE finally, but I'm not sure he's up to
Higbee's level as a blocker, and that is so important.

Fowler looks like this is his breakout year. Hopefully the Rams can afford him long term. I think he will be causing rival QBs significant pain.
I meant as a receiver. One of the ROdD reports mentions that Everett and Higbee were used in different packages with Everett out wide. I think they're going to try to isolate him more in space against.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
1) The Rams and Raiders had competitive one-on-one drills between the offensive and defensive lines. Rookie nose tackle Greg Gaines used a rip move to get underneath Raiders OL Jordan Devey and into the backfield. Trevon Young also had a spin move to get into the backfield around a right tackle.
Gaines making strides By Vincent Bonsignore - https://theathletic.com/1118186/2019/08/05/todd-gurley-looks-strong-and-a-receiver-battle-emerges-as-first-phase-of-rams-camp-ends/
With so much attention on the improvement of second-year nose tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day — a big man able to eat up space, control gaps and make plays — rookie defensive tackle Greg Gaines has gotten lost in the shuffle a bit as he makes the transition to the NFL.

That’s to be expected for most rookies, and the more reps Gaines gets the more comfortable he becomes and the more his presence is felt. And over the last few days in particular, Gaines has begun to settle in and show the traits the Rams were so enamored with during the draft process.

“He’s shown up” is how McVay described it. “I think (defensive line) coach (Eric) Henderson and (assistant line) coach (Thad) Bogardus have done a great job, where you’re seeing him get more and more comfortable. He’s playing physical. I thought he had two good days of work against the Chargers and I’m looking forward to seeing him build on that against the Raiders, but I’ve been really pleased with Greg."

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Now this is enlightening! Our assistant line coach is ....

Thad Bogardus

That is something that my childlike mind wouldn't be able to let go of. "BOGARDUS"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: