Rams Invite Military to Practice for #SaluteToService

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/SaluteToService-Practice/0e9d8b9d-feb7-492f-a82f-450c7b615ec7

Each Veterans Day Americans reflect, honor and celebrate those who have served our country. Through the Salute to Service games, the NFL is able to highlight and recognize the many sacrifices our military members have made to protect our county. The Rams make it a point to extend our gratitude beyond a game day experience and this year, for the fifth consecutive year, the Rams opened an otherwise private practice and invited more than 100 service members to Rams Park to watch practice and meet with coaches and players.

“It’s a great opportunity for the players to interact with the soldiers,” says head coach Jeff Fisher, a long-time supporter of the military. “We’ve been doing this for several years. It’s just really special to be able to host them at practice.”

Not many get the chance to attend an NFL team practice. The service men and women in attendance were very excited to see some of their favorite players, up close and personal.

“Jeff Fisher, he’s an icon of course. One of my boys is Zac Stacy,” explains SFC Leonard Andrescavage of the Fairview Heights Army Recruiting Company. “This is a St. Louis team – I just honor them all.”

The military members beamed with admiration as they watched the Rams run drills however the same admiration was returned as the Rams players approached the service members to say thank you.

“I have a lot of respect for each and every one of those individuals,” said Rams wide receiverStedman Bailey. “They took time out to come and watch us practice. It kind of surprised me because I view those guys as my heroes. One of them asked for my autograph when I should be asking for his.”

“It doesn’t make sense to have them be excited to see us because we’re just playing a game and they’re protecting us,” said Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis.

With a brother in the Army, Laurinaitis supports the league and the Rams commitment to service members. He has traveled with Rams quarterback Sam Bradford and now Detroit Lions linebacker Rocky McIntosh to Kuwait to watch the Super Bowl with service members.

“We talk about going to battle every day when we go out there to play football, but they’re living it – they’re doing the real deal,” he said. “We’re trained to tackle, they’re trained to win wars and protect our freedom. I have a great respect for the military.”

Not only did the attending military members and veterans get to observe practice, some received the chance to play against the Rams special teams. At the conclusion of practice, military members lined up as players and coaches approached them to pose for pictures and sign autographs.

SPC Jarron Travis was very excited to be part of the event. “I love the fact that we can support our country and the Rams can actually support us by doing something like this, something that I can very much be grateful for.”

The Rams Salute to Service Game will take place on Sunday, November 16 against the Denver Broncos.

tempMilitary_Veteran_Practice086--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The men and women who protected our freedom go back many years.

Hats off.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
God bless, and protect all of you. I am eternally grateful to each and every person who has served....to keep this country free.