Rams interviewing OCs.... maybe?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Who? Kidding.

Did Washington have a good Offense this year or something? ehhhh pass.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Report: Kevin O'Connell is 'a strong candidate' for Rams OC job
usatsi_10257764.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

55 minutes ago

Sean McVay doesn’t currently have an offensive coordinator by title, but that could change in the near future. According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, former Redskins offensive coordinator is a “strong candidate” for the Rams in the same position.
O’Connell was let go by the Redskins after the team hired Scott Turner as Ron Rivera’s coordinator, putting a good offensive mind on the market. And as Fowler noted, he’s a candidate for the Eagles and Browns vacancies, too.
Though both hailed from the Redskins, McVay and O’Connell never worked together in Washington. O’Connell took over as the team’s quarterbacks coach in 2017, which was McVay’s first season with the Rams.
Currently, the Rams have co-offensive coordinators on the staff. Shane Waldron is in charge of the passing game (and quarterbacks), while Aaron Kromer coordinates the running game. McVay used to have an offensive coordinator in Matt LaFleur before he left for Tennessee in 2018, so perhaps he’s looking at going that route again.
O’Connell, 34, has been an NFL coach since 2015 when he came in as a quarterbacks coach with the Browns. Before joining the Redskins in 2017, he was an offensive assistant in San Francisco in 2016.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd rather see Wes Phillips get that job based on his work with the TEs than O'Connell.

Tano

Legend
Redskins fans at my office actually think highly of this guy.

Once Jay Gruden was gone, the Redskin offense did much better under this guy and the Redskin offense had very little personnel to work with

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I'd also throw Shurmur's name into the ring too. He'd do well to improve Goff (Bradford and Dr. Jones) and the screen game, but I'm skeptical of his run game and transition to zone/gap schemes. I think I just talked myself out of Shurmur.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
It would be a step in the right direction to have an OC rather than none.
Was a mistake this year without one. That said McVay will still run the offence so whoever is hired will not have be calling the shots.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I'd also throw Shurmur's name into the ring too. He'd do well to improve Goff (Bradford and Dr. Jones) and the screen game, but I'm skeptical of his run game and transition to zone/gap schemes. I think I just talked myself out of Shurmur.

LOL.

Hate when I do that...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't hire Shurmur as a waterboy. Him and his "checkdown high completion percentage" offense will be well suited elsewhere IMO.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Pat Shurmur's stay here- Highlighted by Amendola's 8.1 yds/rec....bleh

Granted, that was 9 yrs ago....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wouldn't hire Shurmur as a waterboy. Him and his "checkdown high completion percentage" offense will be well suited elsewhere IMO.

Fuck Yeah !!! I remember being at a 9ers game at the stick Bradfords first season. It went into OT ?? The Dallas QB(Ohio st)I wanted The Rams to trade those 2 picks for SJ39 was the other QB.
Anyway I just remember thinking I so wish I was an OC !!!! There are certain plays or calls you just have to have & the QB needs to read. A 3/4 base D on 3rd & 1. All Bradford had to do is walk up to the center & hike the ball for the first down. When your actually at the game you get views of the field which you can’t surfing the couch.

Anyway thought Bradford was going to have a classic moment at the Stick his rookie season against the HATED one’s

The game was over & I believe I moved over from The Rams tunnel to an overhead spot. Wanted to get gloves from Chris Long but security won’t let anyone close enough.

Shummer came down from the press booth from way on top of the stadium to get to the Locker room. I so unleashed on him !!

What a Freaking BAD OC !! Maybe he followed in his father footsteps at GB as OC ?? All I know is what a failure as a HC !!

I think he SUCKS !!! I did tell him that in every which way as well !!! Great Spags & your Pillars.

That all said I hope Steve Spags wins a Super Bowl this season !! Show me BABY

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like the idea of Kevin O’Connell as the OC.

Kromer can focus on the O’line. Just helps with game planning &in game ideas to help Mcvay our. I like The Rams coaching staff & I also like young fresh blood as well that helps inspire the staff !! I’m sure Jay Gruden gives him a solid recommendation.

Will be cool to see who steps up from the ranks ???

Paydirt

UDFA
Even if it happens ...... just a figure-head position. McVAY is too good at calling plays to give it up

dang

Legend
The right OC will definitely help. i trust McVay will have a number of qualified options to chose from.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
OR it could balance out with McV's It's 2nd & 10(or 3rd & 5) but we're gonna send out 20-25 yard receiver patterns with no checkdown offense.

I don't want Shurmer but i had to get that jab in there.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Having an OC is a must. It was obvious last year when McVay couldn’t get out of his own way. Sometimes you need an extra set of eyes to see what’s happening on the field. KOC would be a great hire.