Rams injury updates from McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shelton leaving is probably a good thing. Keeps us from looking at his sorry ass as any sort of real answer at center.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I hate to be a contrarian (ok, ArkyRamsFan LOVES being a contrarian) but I just can't get excited about Notebook and Allen's rehab progress.
I'm not sure I even care at this point. I feel somewhat guilty saying this.
Is it wrong to feel this way?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sounds like very good news on the Alaric Jackson front.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watch the video too guys he talks about the coaches he brought in.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Watch the video too guys he talks about the coaches he brought in.
If Jackson & Bruss can step up next yr, that goes a long way towards fixing the OL.

Draft the C out of Minnesota to push Allen/Shelton (whichever one they retain) and maybe add one outside vet like Herbig at OG, and I am good with that.

Acurrie backs up RT, Noteboom at LT, Anchrum/Brewer and another Rookie back up inside.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If McSnead are actually going to rely on Noteboom and Allen Without some kind o real backup plan, its going to be another meltdown along the OL.

Will they draft a center if Shelton signs somewhere else?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McSnead are actually going to rely on Noteboom and Allen Without some kind o real backup plan, its going to be another meltdown along the OL.

Did you not watch the video too?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Did you not watch the video too?
I'm gonna answer for Bubba too since some of y'all think we all have time to watch the video....it's 47 minutes fuckin long man lol. For me, I'm at work and can't watch that shit til much later unless I like not having a job. Much easier to sneak in comments hahaha

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm gonna answer for Bubba too since some of y'all think we all have time to watch the video....it's 47 minutes fuckin long man lol. For me, I'm at work and can't watch that shit til much later unless I like not having a job. Much easier to sneak in comments hahaha
The video was posted for a reason. It gives info and depth to the tweet. All these posts worrying about "relying" on something when it's addressed in the post make no sense at all I'm sorry. Ask a question about the tweet and video or assume the worst in your mind. It seems a pretty obvious choice to me sorry I'll never assume people who post actually looked into the info posted.

Best part of all is there was nothing in the tweet about relying on anybody. Just assumptions run wild.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The video was posted for a reason. It gives info and depth to the tweet. All these posts worrying about "relying" on something when it's addressed in the post make no sense at all I'm sorry. Ask a question about the tweet and video or assume the worst in your mind. It seems a pretty obvious choice to me sorry I'll never assume people who post actually looked into the info posted.
I get the video was posted but I'm just responding to it so ya understand where I'm coming from so no biggie from me. No need to include any sorries at all. I'm personally definitely not worried but just wanted to provide my reaction to the news. The Rams have plenty of time and moves to make so hence (Allen2McVay loves that word) why I'm reserving judgement.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sounds like very good news on the Alaric Jackson front.
Yes, this was the best part of what I heard on McVay's comments on the OL. Alaric Jackson (or as McVay calls him AJ) would be one of the "Internal Guys" that they would be leaning on. If I were to project where Jackson stands to start, it's LG or LT. Jackson will be cleared to play!:hug:

No doubt that McVay considers both Joseph Noteboom & Brian Allen as his projected starters when the season begins. Still does not change the fact that both of these starters have proved in the last 5 seasons that they both are nothing more than an injury or an Injured Reserve Designation in waiting.

Made it known that he liked what OG Tremayne Anchrum "Internal Guy" showed in his brief cameo appearance. The fact still remains Anchrum has spent most of the last 2 seasons injured on the IR. McVay will lean on him.

McVay did mention RG Logan Bruss but said basically nothing positive (IR'd all season) is also another "Internal Guy" that would be leaned on.
Shelton leaving is probably a good thing. Keeps us from looking at his sorry ass as any sort of real answer at center.
McVay did bring up UFA center Coleman Shelton and RFA OG Chandler Brewer. I bet Shelton will sign with the Seahawks or the 9ers this offseason & not return. Shelton finally had his chance to start but things did not go well for him. He won the RG job very early & practice there till the first regular season game when Allen did what he does best....hurt himself. Inserted back to OC. His PFF rating was decent for all that was ongoing around him. The Rams will need several new centers. Rams will be forced to look @ UFA center veteran Matt Skura hard! Plus one in the Draft.

Seemed to me McVay would look very hard at resigning back Brewer to compete @ OG. I would project that the main four OG's Brewer/ Bruss/ Anchrum/ Thomas (who would be an"Internal Guy" too) will be fighting for the 2 open starting OG posts. Brewer will be entering his 4th season @ 26 yr old. What I like about Brewer is his physical stature would make him the largest OG being 6-5 1/2 @ 320/325 lbs.

McVay indicated to me he was very pleased with his signed OT unit (Havenstein/ Noteboom/ Jackson/ Arcuri/ Pircher). I would not look for them to draft any OT's in this upcoming draft. he said that he would first lean on the "Internal Guys".

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yes, this was the best part of what I heard on McVay's comments on the OL. Alaric Jackson (or as McVay calls him AJ) would be one of the "Internal Guys" that they would be leaning on. If I were to project where Jackson stands to start, it's LG or LT. Jackson will be cleared to play!:hug:

No doubt that McVay considers both Joseph Noteboom & Brian Allen as his projected starters when the season begins. Still does not change the fact that both of these starters have proved in the last 5 seasons that they both are nothing more than an injury or an Injured Reserve Designation in waiting.

Made it known that he liked what OG Tremayne Anchrum "Internal Guy" showed in his brief cameo appearance. The fact still remains Anchrum has spent most of the last 2 seasons injured on the IR. McVay will lean on him.

McVay did mention RG Logan Bruss but said basically nothing positive (IR'd all season) is also another "Internal Guy" that would be leaned on.

McVay did bring up UFA center Coleman Shelton and RFA OG Chandler Brewer. Seemed to me McVay would look very hard at resigning back Brewer to compete @ OG. I bet Shelton will sign with the Seahawks or the 9ers this offseason & not return. The Rams will need several new centers. Rams will be forced to look @ UFA center veteran Matt Skura hard! Plus one in the Draft.

I would project that the main four OG's Brewer/ Bruss/ Anchrum/ Thomas (who would be an"Internal Guy" too) will be fighting for the 2 open starting OG posts. Brewer will be entering his 4th season @ 26 yr old. What I like about Brewer is his physical stature would make him the largest OG being 6-5 1/2 @ 320/325 lbs.

McVay indicated to me he was very pleased with his signed OT unit (Havenstein/ Noteboom/ Jackson/ Arcuri/ Pircher). I would not look for them to draft any OT's in this upcoming draft. he said that he would first lean on the "Internal Guys".

Get Stafford some smelling salts, I think he may have another concussion after reading this, and feinting, ... er fainting.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One other note re: McVay's vid above... I think McVay's staff eroded more than he realized over the years of them being plundered, plus the big win in the Super Bowl and all the entitlement that follows.

So this reload of the staff might reenergize things. He really took his time on some of these hires. Haley in particular I am very excited about, plus he comes in here prior to an epic TE draft. Also the RB hire seems like he might be a real pro to add to this group.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams 2023 free agency preview: Will David Edwards get another shot in LA?

CAMERON DASILVA
Mon, Mar 13, 2023, 11:45 AM CDT

109268d0a90e55a5e3c456b24939d23c

David Edwards is one of the many offensive linemen hitting free agency for the Los Angeles Rams this season. Unfortunately for Edwards, he’s becoming available after a challenging 2022 season in which he played just four games and missed time with two concussions.

He had issues in pass protection when he was healthy so he’s not entering free agency on a high note, but perhaps the Rams will give him another shot as a potential starter by giving him a one-year deal with play-time incentives.

2022 stats

4 games

• 10 pressures allowed
  • 3 sacks allowed
  • 1 penalty
  • 75.6 run-blocking grade
  • 27.8 pass-blocking grade
PFF grade: 58.2 overall

1b0b59d2f9e2df55a54c34bf7def2afc

dwards endured a difficult 2022 season in which he played just four games. He missed Week 4 with a concussion, returned in Week 5 and then suffered a second concussion, which landed him on the shelf for the remainder of the year.

When he was healthy, Edwards struggled much more than he did in 2021, particularly in the passing game. He gave up three sacks in just four games and allowed 10 pressures, far too many for a starting guard.

Rams depth chart

StarterBackupReserveReserve
Left guardDavid Edwards*Tremayne Anchrum Jr.Matt Skura*
Right guardColeman Shelton*Logan BrussChandler Brewer*Oday Aboushi*
*pending free agent

Positional need: Medium
e4dd751ca2b6394fb214e0ee3e365ab9

The tough part about the guard position for the Rams is that they have depth but not a lot of high-end talent. They can get by with the players they have, including Bruss, Anchrum and maybe even Joe Noteboom or Alaric Jackson, depending on who starts at left tackle, but it’s not the strongest group of guards.

It’s still a significant position of need because “getting by” isn’t enough in the NFL, but they’ve drafted and brought in players at that spot in the past. They just need to play better.

Prediction: Leaves in free agency

With his struggles in 2022 and injury history beyond just the concussions, I think the Rams will go in a different direction at guard. They want to give their top draft pick in 2022, Bruss, a shot to start after he tore his ACL. They’re also confident in Anchrum and have Jackson and Noteboom up front with their position flexibility.

Edwards’ market probably won’t be all that strong, so it’s possible he returns on a cheap one-year deal, but a split could be coming this offseason.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

CAMERON DASILVA

David Edwards is one of the many offensive linemen hitting free agency for the Los Angeles Rams this season. Unfortunately for Edwards, he’s becoming available after a challenging 2022 season in which he played just four games and missed time with two concussions.

He had issues in pass protection when he was healthy so he’s not entering free agency on a high note, but perhaps the Rams will give him another shot as a potential starter by giving him a one-year deal with play-time incentives.

2022 stats

4 games

• 10 pressures allowed
  • 3 sacks allowed
  • 1 penalty

dwards endured a difficult 2022 season in which he played just four games. He missed Week 4 with a concussion, returned in Week 5 and then suffered a second concussion, which landed him on the shelf for the remainder of the year.

When he was healthy, Edwards struggled much more than he did in 2021, particularly in the passing game. He gave up three sacks in just four games and allowed 10 pressures, far too many for a starting guard.

Rams depth chart

*pending free agent

The tough part about the guard position for the Rams is that they have depth but not a lot of high-end talent. They can get by with the players they have, including Bruss, Anchrum and maybe even Joe Noteboom or Alaric Jackson, depending on who starts at left tackle, but it’s not the strongest group of guards.

It’s still a significant position of need because “getting by” isn’t enough in the NFL, but they’ve drafted and brought in players at that spot in the past. They just need to play better.

With his struggles in 2022 and injury history beyond just the concussions, I think the Rams will go in a different direction at guard. They want to give their top draft pick in 2022, Bruss, a shot to start after he tore his ACL. They’re also confident in Anchrum and have Jackson and Noteboom up front with their position flexibility.

Edwards’ market probably won’t be all that strong, so it’s possible he returns on a cheap one-year deal, but a split could be coming this offseason.

Only if he comes back in a reserve OT/Swing role on the cheap, otherwise ... hasta la vista.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Feel sorry for you you g whippersnappers still slaving for the $$$ :laugh4:

It does have some more info that makes things seem like they like the core and the experience some got last year. Also sounds like Bruss and Jackson will be counted on heavily.

With Shelton gone an addition to IOL to stay ahead of changing of the guard next year seems likely.

But WTF do I know.

Psycho_X

Legend

CAMERON DASILVA

2022 stats

4 games

• 10 pressures allowed
  • 3 sacks allowed
  • 1 penalty

Rams depth chart

*pending free agent

I'm ready to move on from Edwards, I was looking forward to giving Anchrum a chance last season because I think he'd be good and then immediately went down. Bruss looked bad before he tore his ACL... reason why he tore his ACL was he was getting beat so bad he leg whipped himself out of the season... but hopefully that was just rookie issues. I'm hoping a combo of Bruss, Anchrum, or Jackson (depending on who is our LT) can handle the guard duties. I'd like to draft another IOL somewhere in the draft if not two though.

oldnotdead

Legend
Noteboom hasn't been injury prone. His first injury was when Kromer played him out of position at OG when he had never played the position before. Then someone fell on his leg....not exactly Joe's fault. Other than that he was injured along with the rest of the OL this year. I believe what Dielman said years ago to me. Bad OL coaching can get guys hurt because of bad technique. IMO that was the reason Carberry got fired because McVay believes it too. So how is that Noteboom's fault?

Noteboom has shown when he's healthy he's a very good LT. Both Whitworth and Havenstein praised his performance. I think I would accept their view of him over the fan's opinion of him. Jackson got hurt too so is he worthless? Allen IMO is going to get one last year to prove he can play injury free or he's gone in 2024. With Shelton leaving it really put a hole in the projected OL.

I think Noteboom and Jackson will make a very good pair of starting OTs. I think Thomas and Bruss have the potential to be good OGs. Toner was supposedly getting coached up at center by both the Rams and his previous team. If so he would be the likely backup to Allen. Anchrum is undersized but might have potential as a backup center as well. But I think they will draft a center either in the 3rd or more likely the 5th round. I like Ryan Wendell as OL coach. It's nice to finally have a position coach who actually played 9 years on the OL in the NFL as a OG and Center. I think the OL injuries will revert back to a normal number this season.