Rams' injury list reaches epic length

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY JIM THOMAS | jthomas@post-dispatch.com > 314-340-8197 | Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:15 am

Every Monday, Steve Spagnuolo provides an update on Rams injuries. On this particular Monday, there were so many injuries to talk about, it sounded more like he was reading the Rams' roster. Pass out the Snickers bars … this may take a while.

Spagnuolo mentioned 15 injured players, or nearly one-third of a game-day roster. Among them, cornerback Al Harris and tight end Michael Hoomanawanui are out for the season with knee injuries suffered Sunday in Cleveland.

"They're both ACLs (torn ligaments)," Spagnuolo said. "That's what the MRIs showed, so I feel bad for both those guys."

Cornerbacks are all but an endangered species at Rams Park. The Rams also are running low on offensive tackles and tight ends, and they aren't exactly swimming in wide receivers.

"It's been a battle, this injury thing," Spagnuolo said. "Everybody's going through 'em. I don't know which teams have had more or less; I just know what we're battling with and it's been a struggle. But I credit the people that are going in. I credit the coaches for hanging in there. This is not easy. It's hard to get continuity and execution and smoothness when the parts are interchanging."

Especially when they're interchanging from minute to minute. Rams players were constantly going out for good or going out for a while because of injuries in Sunday's 13-12 victory over Cleveland.

"When you lose people like that in the middle of a game, in the middle of a series, when you're trying to do substitution defenses ... " Spagnuolo said. "Special teams, that gets to be a little bit hairy because once anybody gets hurt, it's a trickle-down effect."

"It was a little bit different," said quarterback Sam Bradford, who missed one play himself after taking a hit to his thigh. "It seemed like there were people running in and out a lot. Different bodies. Different combinations of guys than we'd had before. But I'm starting to get used to that."

For example, the Rams were down to only two tight ends once Hoomanawanui went down with his knee injury on the final play of the third quarter. Two tight end sets are a staple of coordinator Josh McDaniels' offense, so little-used Stephen Spach had no choice. Ready or not, he had to play because he and Billy Bajema were the only tight ends still standing.

"I thought Spach did a great job coming in," Bradford said. "He was put into some situations with Mike going down where he was probably running some routes that he hadn't run all week in practice because Mike had been running 'em."

Harris and Hoomanawanui were placed on the injured reserve list Monday, leaving two roster spots vacant. Filling them won't be easy this late in the season. The Rams did fill one of those spots Monday night by signing linebacker Justin Cole to their active roster off Kansas City's practice squad.

Spagnuolo was particularly saddened to see Harris go down, not only because of his play on the field but also because of his leadership on defense.

"Al and I visited this morning," Spagnuolo said. "I'm crushed by that one. I tell you what, he has been a terrific, terrific addition in a lot of ways. He came off an injury from a year ago and he battled every week to get his body healthy and right. And what he has meant in the (meeting) room, certainly in the defensive back room ... He brings out a whole different level of energy out on the practice field."

Here's a position-by-position update on Rams injuries:

• Offensive tackle: There is some hope that left tackle Rodger Saffold can return this Sunday against Seattle after suffering a head injury early in the third quarter in Cleveland. Saffold experienced no concussion-like symptoms Monday, an important benchmark to a quick return. However, right tackle Jason Smith looks like he will miss a fourth straight game because of a concussion. Smith experienced a recurrence of symptoms after exercising Monday.

• Wide receiver: After missing the past three games because of a hamstring injury, Danario Alexander is scheduled to return to practice on a limited basis Wednesday. Brandon Gibson came out of the Cleveland game with some groin soreness, and his practice status is uncertain.

• Running back: Cadillac Williams (calf) won't practice Wednesday, then will be day-to-day. Jerious Norwood (hamstring) has missed the past few games, but the Rams hope to have him available this week for the Seahawks.

• Tight end: Lance Kendricks (foot) missed the Browns game, but Spagnuolo said the strength is returning to the foot and that Kendricks is scheduled for limited work Wednesday.

• Secondary: Safety Darian Stewart didn't finish the Cleveland game because of a neck injury but felt better Monday and will practice on a limited basis Wednesday. Cornerback Justin King suffered a head injury at the end of the Cleveland game but experienced no symptoms Monday and could play against Seattle.

• Linebacker: After Josh Hull (hamstring) and Bryan Kehl (ankle) missed the Browns game, the Rams are hoping to get them back this week.

• Defensive line: End Eugene Sims has been playing through a shoulder problem. He made it through the Cleveland game OK, but the shoulder remains sore.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

wow, 4 weeks since the injury and smith still can exercise without getting dizzy. that's some scary stuff there.

also the same thing for jahvid best.

i wonder if both are considering retirement. it will only get worse the next time they hit their head on the ground or some other player's helmet.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Hoomanawanui is a walking injury as well. I think it's time we cut him lose as well. All the talent in the world doesn't mean much if the player can't stay on the field.

Afro Ram

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
How sad that pretty much our entire OL needs to be replaced (with the possible exception of Saffold). So much $ and draft picks lost in that effort. Not good for Devaney. Is this team just this unlucky, or do we have a bunch of weak players who do not know how to protect themselves in game situations?? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but a big part of playing football is knowing how to avoid or limit contact in certain situations where you are vulnerable. This is getting ridiculous.....

cfin5256

Rookie
I knew we were getting hit hard by the injury bug but didn't really appreciate how bad it was til seeing this list. I've been on the verge of pulling my hair out; we've had the damnedest time trying to keep key personnel healthy, and not just this year. Feel horrible for Harris.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Faceplant said:
How sad that pretty much our entire OL needs to be replaced (with the possible exception of Saffold). So much $ and draft picks lost in that effort. Not good for Devaney. Is this team just this unlucky, or do we have a bunch of weak players who do not know how to protect themselves in game situations?? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but a big part of playing football is knowing how to avoid or limit contact in certain situations where you are vulnerable. This is getting ridiculous.....

I really dont have a huge problem with the guys he brought in. I think we could be looking at finding a new OL coach next season, but at moment, its hard to say that because I thought our OL was pretty good last sunday with 2 backups starting and having Levoir come in to replace Saffold after he got hurt. This offense goes from dink and dunk last year to longer developing plays this year and they havent been able to adjust well. I think Dahl and Saffold will be fine as starters. May have to move Smith (depending on his health) or Brown to Guard. Im not sure if Bell comes back. What about Levoir? Who knows what happens with him (hes 29). Goldberg is good depth for OT. Wragge could be good depth. Wouldnt mind seeing us add some more youth in our OL, a first round OT is a definite possibility. Right now, were just trying to find out which OL can be a fit for this offense moving forward because of injuries and players being benched.