Rams injuries going into the bye

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
2362FAE7-DB0E-4915-BD74-DB14CF9A03F9.jpeg

Healthiest we’ve been in a long time. Hope Sullivan is okay.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Really hope Sully can recover in 2 weeks, but if he needs more time, Austin Blythe has stepped in and the OL hasn't missed a beat. Not a big concern going up against the G-men.

The bye couldn't have come at a better time. 2 long travel games that ended up as wins and then 2 weeks off for bumps and bruises to heal up. Rams are in great shape for the send half. Most teams can't say that. (Philly, Seattle, Ariz.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nearly halfway through the season and we've been really fortunate. Hope it continues, injuries are that overlooked aspect man.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Sullivan has been nothing short of amazing at Center this year. I feel fine with Blythe as the back up. He looked good in the running game against Az on Sunday in relief. He looks pretty quick off the ball to me. If Sullivan is iffy, rest him and play Blythe.
I'm also excited to get Cody Davis back for ST and passing down work on D. He allows Wade to move Joyner all over for the best match ups and looks.
Big props to the new Strength and Conditioning Coach Ted Rath. I don't think it's any coincidence that injuries are down. Everyone looks to be in really great condition and I think that's a part in keeping guys healthy. That and the way the coaches are rotating guys. Besides the O line, there seems to be rotation everywhere else.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Austin Blythe has stepped in and the OL hasn't missed a beat.

Blythe’s Practice Time Allows for Seamless Transition
Kristen Lago/Rams Writer/Reporter

austin_blythe_card.jpg

Losing your starting center is never ideal for an NFL team. But for the Rams in particular, anytime starter John Sullivan goes down during a game — as he did in Week 7 against Arizona — the transition is made easier because of who takes his place.

Austin Blythe, a former Iowa standout, joined the Rams in May after he was claimed off of waivers from the Colts. Since then he has proven himself as both a capable and dependable player with solid technique.

So far this season, Blythe has had to step in for Sullivan on two occasions — once against the 49ers and most recently against the Cardinals. In both instances, his effort was met with high praise from head coach Sean McVay and quarterback Jared Goff.

“I thought Austin Blythe stepped in again and did a nice job,” McVay said Sunday. “Those guys are getting better and they’re getting more comfortable playing together as well.”

“Austin again did a great job stepping in,” Goff said. “He’s done it twice now and his ability to come in there cold and be able to kind of just pick it up on the move and not really hit any speed bumps is really impressive.”

Much of that seamless transition stems from Blythe being able to practice with the other starting linemen on Wednesdays. As part of the team’s maintenance program, Sullivan is one of a few veteran players held out of practice each week in an effort to keep them healthy come game time. McVay says Wednesday’s sessions have “been very helpful, as [Blythe] is able to go through some of the looks that we anticipate.”

“Some of those looks came up and I think it helps Austin continue to gain a command on all the communication that’s involved from that center spot,” McVay said. “I think it’s a big reason why he’s handled the playing time that he’s had this year pretty seamlessly and he’s done a great job filling in when John’s had to step out.”

On Sunday against Arizona, Blythe was instrumental facilitating a lengthy 10-minute drive in the fourth quarter. The series consisted of five converted third downs and culminated in an 18-yard touchdown by wide receiver Cooper Kupp. It also helped drain the clock, all but sealing the Rams’ 33-0 shutout victory.

Right guard Jamon Brown praised Blythe’s efficiency in Sunday’s contest, saying there was “no drop off or decline in the level of communication or the level of play.” He also credited Blythe’s ability to practice with the starting line as key to his success.

“It’s been huge,” Brown said. “Having him on Wednesdays and being able to work on things that he would not have necessarily worked [on] if Sully went on Wednesdays has been huge in game time. … Building confidence that we have in him and obviously his confidence — you see that just riding an all-time high.”

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
We picked up a few good players that are currently on the Rams roster off waivers, this past year, two that come to mine are Blythe and Christian. I also really like some of the UDFAs on the team; examples Longacre, Fox, and Littleton.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If Blythe continues to develop (and I see no reason that he shouldn't)

All that leaves is Tackle depth as a need.

Let's hope Donnal can work out as well as Blythe has.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s a really good strategy to give the veterans a day off. So they can rest and we can work our backup guys.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
When Sullivan went down, I said, "if there was one position we can take a hit on that OL, it's at center."

When it comes to injuries, this has got to be the luckiest the Rams have been in a while. Webster was hurt early so he is only getting better week to week. Joyner has returned to the starting lineup. And even though Donald wasn't an injury, his missing camp and slowly acclimating himself to the new defense and the players around him, basically mimicked an injury absence.

For once, the Rams are getting some breaks.

fearsomefour

Legend
Really hope Sully can recover in 2 weeks, but if he needs more time, Austin Blythe has stepped in and the OL hasn't missed a beat. Not a big concern going up against the G-men.

The bye couldn't have come at a better time. 2 long travel games that ended up as wins and then 2 weeks off for bumps and bruises to heal up. Rams are in great shape for the send half. Most teams can't say that. (Philly, Seattle, Ariz.)
Blythe has played well.
I think Sullivan probably still offers more as a savey vet C.
Don't know if Blythe is a FA after this year. If he is he has to be a priority resign.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

It can't be understated how important that is for a team to make the playoffs. There's so much parity in the NFL that a wrong injury to an integral player at the wrong time can screw up everything. Look at David Johnson and Carson Palmer of the Cardinals as one recent example. Let's hope we can stay unscathed in the injury area.

BeefJurky

Rookie
Shit man we need to draft OL next year.
We are thin and 2 of our starters are old as dinosaurs, tho Whit seems sturdy as ever.
I love what Sully has/is doing though, great signing.

I'm thinking DB and OL are top priorities next year.
Possibly OLB if Barwin doesn't get retained.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I kind of liked the approach the Rams took in free agency with the OL. After the initial free agency period plays out we will have a better understanding how to invest draft capital. I would also consider moving Quinn or Austin to recoup the 2nd round pick that was given up for Watkins.

Psycho_X

Legend
Goff got a pretty good bump and bruise apparently from his rushing touchdown as seen below. Luckily, this seems to be the worst thing that happened aside from Sullivan. As long as Sullivan will be back we'll be very fortunate whether it's against the Giants or a month from now. Been a wonderful year so far *knock on wood*.

usatsi_103629211.jpg

JackStraw

Rookie
I really hope Barron and Joyner are able to fully charge their batteries over this 14 day halftime.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Goff got a pretty good bump and bruise apparently from his rushing touchdown as seen below. Luckily, this seems to be the worst thing that happened aside from Sullivan. As long as Sullivan will be back we'll be very fortunate whether it's against the Giants or a month from now. Been a wonderful year so far *knock on wood*.

usatsi_103629211.jpg

I think that happens fairly often if you get stepped on by a 320 pound man..

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
23632CBE-31C6-41CF-BB75-5D9846ADE2DB.jpeg

Wouldn’t mind seeing Blythe start this game to give him a look. And allowing Sullivan to rest one more week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When Sullivan went down, I said, "if there was one position we can take a hit on that OL, it's at center."

When it comes to injuries, this has got to be the luckiest the Rams have been in a while. Webster was hurt early so he is only getting better week to week. Joyner has returned to the starting lineup. And even though Donald wasn't an injury, his missing camp and slowly acclimating himself to the new defense and the players around him, basically mimicked an injury absence.

I think there is more to it than just luck. McVay works closely with Reggie and has a feel for his players health.. In game injuries caused by other players? Yeah that is a bit of luck.