Rams hire Zac Robinson as QB Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://newsok.com/article/5532779/...k-zac-robinson-finds-passion-through-coaching

Collect Wisdom: Former OSU quarterback Zac Robinson finds passion through coaching
james_poling.jpg

by JAMES POLING

large960_blur-e2473f4e1bf6e02d0af5e8b83b7618f9.jpg

Zac Robinson

Former OSU quarterback

Residence: Dallas

Zac Robinson has kept himself busy in the two years after his NFL career ended.

The Quarterback Ranch in Dallas hired the former Oklahoma State quarterback in November of 2015 as an instructor. Robinson has also worked independently with current college quarterbacks, such as OSU's Mason Rudolph, and will advise Notre Dame quarterback DeShone Kizer, a potential first round pick, as he prepares for the upcoming 2017 NFL Draft.

In addition to working with quarterbacks, Robinson joined Pro Football Focus, the leading NFL analytics site, before the 2016 season. He is one of the primary pro and college quarterback evaluators for the site.

With PFF, Robinson tweeted out that he expected Dallas Cowboys rookie quarterback Dak Prescott to bounce back from recent struggles and pick apart Tampa Bay's zone defense, which plays into Prescott's strengths, in the teams' Week 15 matchup. Prescott proceeded to complete 32-of-36 passes for 279 yards in an impressive victory.

Robinson shared his wisdom regarding those who influenced him into the quarterback instructor he is today as well as how he quickly became involved with PFF this season.

I've always had interest in quarterback training because I realized how much that helped me as a player. There are just so much that comes with the position. You are always learning and constantly evolving your game. I liked that aspect of it. I felt like I could relate to guys in that aspect.

I can remember back in college with my roommate Matt Fodge, we would talk about opening a quarterback and kicking academy called QBK. I was always interested in that part of training, the one-on-one, because I went through it my senior year of high school with Rod Olson, who had coached at Oklahoma State in the early 1990s. He was in Colorado and was ahead of the time in quarterback training and individualized training that you see today.

I got drafted in 2010 and didn't really have many expectations. I didn't know what to expect in the NFL and how I stacked up. I enjoyed my time. I bounced around to a few different teams before I settled in with Cincinnati for three seasons. I realized that I was kind of on that verge of being a third-string that lacked a few things here or there that ultimately would propel me to be a backup, a solidified guy that could be depended on.

I had an elbow injury while I was competing for the second spot in Cincinnati in 2013. It was really my first time to get a true opportunity to compete for a backup spot. My elbow over time didn't work out, and I ended up getting Tommy John surgery.

When I got drafted to New England, I spent a lot of hours with Bill O'Brien, who is now the Texans coach. He was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in New England at the time. One of the smartest guys I've ever been around. I spent a ton of time learning the offense but most importantly learning the defenses, how they were attacking offenses and what they do differently. I had never really seen that aspect of the game before. I owe a lot to him.

Being in the room with Tom Brady and see how he operates was cool. I learned lots just seeing exactly what made him tick and what it is really like to be an NFL quarterback. I just remember taking a ton of notes. I didn't say much during my entire career in the NFL. A third-string quarterback, you are almost an extended coach just taking mental reps.

The most I owe to learning from in the NFL is Ken Zampese. The Bengals promoted him from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator before this current season. I spent the most time with him and Hue Jackson, who was the team's offensive coordinator. They are knowledgeable guys, some of the smartest guys I've been around.

The most value I think I gained was the meeting rooms with Zampese. I would then stand next to him for almost every single rep at practice talking through the plays, the progressions, what the defenses were doing, how we were going to attack, red-zone and everything that came with the position.

I kind of knew in the back of my mind that Dallas was the best spot to do QB training, so I moved there and did my elbow rehab in Arlington in 2014. I started my own website, started getting some good traffic through that. My first client was Nathan Elliott from Celina, Texas, who is now the backup at North Carolina. Working with him sparked the desire to train QBs and help these guys out.

I had heard of The Quarterback Ranch, as well as its owner. We discussed some things after that summer (2015) and I joined him later that November. We had similar views, and it has worked out ever since.

I was aware of PFF toward the end of my NFL career. I was always interested in what it was. I saw how analytics and statistical data was becoming more involved in football. I enjoyed that part of the game, and matching your eye up with stats is becoming a key thing to do. I reached out to them, told them who I was and that I was interested in what they were doing.

I heard back almost immediately from Neil Hornsby, the founder of PFF. I went in for an interview with them. We thought it was a good match. They didn't have any former players working there at the time. It was a natural thing.

I always loved watching film. I never got tired of watching film. That's the biggest part at PFF, you are in front of the screen and watching tons and tons of tape. That's been a seamless, easy transition for me. It's part of the game that I've enjoyed.

I thought it was a perfect match being able to do some analysis stuff, predominantly on the pro side, as well as help out young QBs and just be a mentor to them. There is a lot of value being able to come into a meeting with NFL coaches and being able to speak the language like they should. That part to me matched up well with what I do, but I would never rule out getting into coaching or personnel down the road.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Congrats to Zac and what a great opportunity for him. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and I like that his roots have a bit of exposure to the Pats through O'Brien, who is very gifted schematically. Being hired from outside to be the QB coach for Goff and this offense is like winning the lottery. (y)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure how I feel about this hire, but again, it's an assistant QB Coach position, so it's right up there with an "Offensive Assistant" tag, however, Robinson will be interacting quite a bit with the Quarterbacks. I look for the Rams to carry three QB's in 2019, with Sean Mannion moving on. I truly believe the Rams will draft a QB and they obviously could sign another, although I would not be shocked if Brandon Allen is given a true opportunity to be the back up.

The key here is Robinson will be under Waldron, who is the Passing Game Coordinator/QB Coach so I did not want a Chris Weinke scenario as Weinke had no coaching experience whatsoever, but ran some type of QB Clinic as well, so that does not make a Coach, but again, we'll see how it plays out as there are plenty of assistants on the Ram staff. Surprised that Assistant WR Coach Liam Cohen did not get a promotion as he's been an collegiate offensive coordinator and a QB Coach at that level too.

However, been some good additions to the coaching staff in Wes Phillips, DL Coach Eric Henderson and now Zac Robinson as for 30 years of his existence many have played homage to his mother.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I thought the whole time that taylor was the former osu qb. Guess I never did research and just went with his first name.

Robinson was a beast in college!
I'm excited to see what he brings to the team , just sucks Jared is constantly under new leadership. Hopefully this guys stays for a while !

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I thought the whole time that taylor was the former osu qb. Guess I never did research and just went with his first name.

So let me get this straight, you thought in the two years that Zac Taylor was with the Rams, that he was really Zac Robinson and now the Rams have indeed hired the former Oklahoma State Quarterback?
giphy.gif

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
McVay is really into analytics. It will be interesting to see how he helps with game plan preparation and situational awareness.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Not sure how I feel about this hire, but again, it's an assistant QB Coach position, so it's right up there with an "Offensive Assistant" tag, however, Robinson will be interacting quite a bit with the Quarterbacks. I look for the Rams to carry three QB's in 2019, with Sean Mannion moving on. I truly believe the Rams will draft a QB and they obviously could sign another, although I would not be shocked if Brandon Allen is given a true opportunity to be the back up.

The key here is Robinson will be under Waldron, who is the Passing Game Coordinator/QB Coach so I did not want a Chris Weinke scenario as Weinke had no coaching experience whatsoever, but ran some type of QB Clinic as well, so that does not make a Coach, but again, we'll see how it plays out as there are plenty of assistants on the Ram staff. Surprised that Assistant WR Coach Liam Cohen did not get a promotion as he's been an collegiate offensive coordinator and a QB Coach at that level too.

However, been some good additions to the coaching staff in Wes Phillips, DL Coach Eric Henderson and now Zac Robinson as for 30 years of his existence many have played homage to his mother.
So Bill Johnson retired ?
Is there a new opening as well for Zaire Robinson , since son of Wade is aboard for Zac Taylor . What is Zac Kromers future?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So Bill Johnson retired ?
Is there a new opening as well for Zaire Robinson , since son of Wade is aboard for Zac Taylor . What is Zac Kromers future?

Zac Robinson will be the Assistant QB Coach, Wes Phillips will be the new TE Coach as Shane Waldron is now the Passing Game Coordinator/QB Coach. Not sure if Bill Johnson retired, the Rams just replaced him with Eric Henderson as to Zac Kromer, he continues to hold the title of "Offensive Assistant." working with his Dad (Aaron Kromer) and Andy Dickerson who is the Assistant OL Coach.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Zac Robinson will be the Assistant QB Coach, Wes Phillips will be the new TE Coach as Shane Waldron is now the Passing Game Coordinator/QB Coach. Not sure if Bill Johnson retired, the Rams just replaced him with Eric Henderson as to Zac Kromer, he continues to hold the title of "Offensive Assistant." working with his Dad (Aaron Kromer) and Andy Dickerson who is the Assistant OL Coach.
Ok so did The Rams hire Phillips,Robinson,& Henderson ? For Taylor & Johnson? Is there another Ram coach that’s departing?