Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Press Conference – October 24, 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(Opening Remarks)
“I’m not going to answer any questions with regard to how much sleep I’ve had. But, let’s get to the game. Disappointing, we had a chance to win. You go up by ten, and you have to make some plays and extend the lead – we didn’t. We gave up the obvious interception return for a touchdown. We battled and we just ran out of time, ran out of plays. Just one of those games, you know, if you look back the last two weeks since we left, at Detroit, offense puts up a lot of points, and defense can’t get the job done. Then, I really think yesterday, the defense played well, and played winning football, from start to finish. Offensively, we just couldn’t get the ball in the end zone. You look at a 17-10 game, and you turn the ball over four times on offense, something’s going well for you, and that was the defensive effort and the special team effort, but we just couldn’t overcome the turnovers.

“Here’s where we are. I have not changed my mindset whatsoever with respect to (QB) Case (Keenum) and (QB) Jared (Goff). As I mentioned last night, Jared’s going to get some reps, which is a byproduct of the bye week. We’re moving forward. We have to get some guys back, which we will. We have a chance to be extremely healthy, if you compare the roster after this bye week to the start of the regular season, so that’s encouraging. We’re going to work hard over the next couple of days, as staff – looking at what’s been good and what’s not, where we need to improve. I think realistically, when the guys come back after the bye week, we’ll have a couple of good days of work and then we’ll get ready for the Panthers.”

(On if there is anything QB Jared Goff can do in the next couple of weeks to show that he’s ready to start)
“Like I said, he’s going to get reps. I don’t feel like (QB) Case (Keenum) needs the reps Wednesday and early next week. So, Jared will get those reps, which is good.”

(On why this isn’t an ideal time to make a change at the quarterback position)

“It’s just what I said yesterday, and what Case has done, we won three-straight games with him. Yes, I understand we’ve lost three-straight, but the quarterback position, in my opinion, is not the reason why we lost the football games, nor was it yesterday. At first glance, if you look – oh, he threw four interceptions. You look at the actual plays, and as you guys know, interceptions – you can place blame wherever you want. (QB) Jared (Goff) is going to be our starter (in the future), but we’re going to continue with Case. Looking forward to a good couple weeks of preparation for Carolina.”

(On the play of the wide receivers and if they’re playing up to their capabilities)
“We’re getting more production out them, which is good. Brian (Quick) is making plays, Kenny (Britt) is making plays, but when you playing close games, you got to do everything exactly right, and we didn’t do that at the wide receiver position; nor did we do that at the offensive line position, or the running back position, for that matter. You have to deflect, or be realistic from that standpoint, when you’re looking at the quarterback position. Because if an offensive lineman gets beat on the snap, and the quarterback gets hit and he’s hurried on the throw, if the throw is incomplete, it’s not the quarterback’s fault, it’s the offensive lineman’s fault. That’s just an example. We just have to get better as a team.”

(On WR Kenny Britt running the wrong route that he referenced in his postgame press conference yesterday)
“It was a deep ball that he didn’t expect – he didn’t expect he was going to be (the) primary (receiver). It was not an interception, it was a potential touchdown. Those are the little things, when you lose a game like we did, little things become big things. And that’s what we do as coaches, we address the little things. You have to do the right things all the time.”

(On if he sees potential for personnel changes at receiver or on the offensive line during the bye week)
“No, we’re going to work some of the younger guys in there. We’ve got a healthy ‘Coop’ (WR Pharoh Cooper) as well as ‘Nels’ (WR Nelson Spruce), so they’re going to get a lot of reps, so we’ll see. (WR) Michael’s (Thomas) doing a good job out there on special teams and (WR) Bradley’s (Marquez) an outstanding special teams player. We just have to get more production out of the whole group.”

(On what the reasons are for sight-checks breaking down at the line of scrimmage)
“Understand the whole play – you have the play clock running down, you’ve got defenses that are stemming and moving and then you have a quarterback that turns out and makes a signal, and at the receiver position, you also have to recognize what’s going on, so you might miss it. It’s just one of those things that happened. Unfortunately, it happened at the wrong time. I was proud of the drive to that point, I thought the guys handled themselves really well. We got down there, we got in the plus-territory, got in position to tie the game up. Our expectation was to tie the game up, because time was running down, then we’re going to go into overtime and find a way to win it in overtime.”

(On how he treats the bye week in terms of getting from a losing streak)
“The losses are behind us, we’ll look forward to the Carolina challenge. Everybody has different needs and I think that’s the most important thing, is you address the needs. We have guys that need to rest, we have guys that need some work. At the same time, we do walk-thrus as we move through it, they need to understand some of the areas we need to improve upon. Again, offensively, given the rankings, which are subjective, our third-down stuff has really improved and I’m pleased with that and I’m pleased with where we are defensively – especially as we look at the possibility of getting some guys back. This week is about resting, it’s about recovering – which we say all the time – it’s also about getting away and coming back recharged, that’s probably the most important thing.”

(On if the fast start in the game was a correlation to being in London for the entire week)
“It’s a good football team we played, a good defense, a Super Bowl-winning quarterback. It’s just what things that happened in the game. There were opportunities there, there were penalties that I disagree with that were drive-changing, drive-interrupting. But if I had to do it all over again, I’d do the same thing because they were prepared, they were fresh and they were ready to play.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
(On if there is anything QB Jared Goff can do in the next couple of weeks to show that he’s ready to start)
“Like I said, he’s going to get reps. I don’t feel like (QB) Case (Keenum) needs the reps Wednesday and early next week. So, Jared will get those reps, which is good.”
So that's good, yeah?
We're all happy about that. Starter reps.

Goff the Magic Dragon...
Reppin' with the starters, takin the reps.
Starterinos with the Goff man.

640.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(On the play of the wide receivers and if they’re playing up to their capabilities)
“We’re getting more production out them, which is good. Brian (Quick) is making plays, Kenny (Britt) is making plays, but when you playing close games, you got to do everything exactly right, and we didn’t do that at the wide receiver position; nor did we do that at the offensive line position, or the running back position, for that matter. You have to deflect, or be realistic from that standpoint, when you’re looking at the quarterback position. Because if an offensive lineman gets beat on the snap, and the quarterback gets hit and he’s hurried on the throw, if the throw is incomplete, it’s not the quarterback’s fault, it’s the offensive lineman’s fault. That’s just an example. We just have to get better as a team.”

Can't disagree with his assessment that each position group he listed played bad at times and missed opportunities. But it just seems to me he's pointing out everybody else's failures/mistakes and blaming them for what Keenum does wrong. So everybody is accountable but the most important position on the field?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Can't disagree with his assessment that each position group he listed played bad at times and missed opportunities. But it just seems to me he's pointing out everybody else's failures/mistakes and blaming them for what Keenum does wrong. So everybody is accountable but the most important position on the field?

You noticed that too, eh?

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Fisher seems committed to Keenum after hearing this press conference but the part that caught my attention is that "Case doesn't need the reps on Wednesday and early next week." To me that means that Goff will have a great opportunity to show the coaches what he's got and if he can run the offense well enough to start a game. If he has a great command of the offense in practice this week, I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher announces Goff the starter prior to the Carolina game.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
But if I had to do it all over again, I’d do the same thing because they were prepared, they were fresh and they were ready to play.”

"We all know the definition of this stance"

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah...I didn't read about any personal responsibility coming from Fisher (looking at the above text). He just discouraged the cr@p out of me, because nothing will change. If a Rams game is by off chance, on in my market, I'll watch it. But I won't be hunched over my laptop computer screen, trying to find the best stream of the game anymore tho..I won't be paying for NFL Sunday Ticket. I won't be buying that sweet new Rams polo shirt that X always wears ;). and I won't be going to any games.
I'm going to try to enjoy Sundays for a while, because I haven't enjoyed that many of them during football season since GSOT. I sure hope the Rams decide they want to get a HC that can win in today's NFL, and maybe start the kid we all have hoped would be the franchise QB we have been missing since Warner. I just need a break for a while.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does seem that way, doesn't it.

I'm gonna keep harping on this, because I rarely nail something so precisely as when I called this during the offseason. lol. Fisher and Keenum have had a connection since they first signed him, and Fisher didn't think he would lose him to Houston. And he wouldn't have, were it not for all of Houston's QBs winding up on the scrap heap. They're like bros. Best buds. BFFs. I think he *really* likes how Keenum handles the huddle, how he handles himself, and he especially loves his energy and elite levels of no-quit. He probably looks at him and it reminds him of ... him ... when he was a player himself.

I do think Fisher is right though. Keenum has made some mistakes in the past, but you can very easily make an argument that a lot of them were avoidable with better execution. I'm not gonna go into how many of his ints weren't his fault, because that just makes people angry. I will say, however, that in the aggregate, there have been too many mistakes and too many picks. And of course, if Fisher is gonna rail on the receivers for mental lapses, then he should damn well give them credit when they bail Keenum out. Fair is fair.

fearsomefour

Legend
So, when the QB isent breaking down the line is....when they aren't the WRs are Fing up (his example is why I have never bought into Britt)....not to mention the failing running game.
That all translates to your team is not good coach.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I will say, however, that in the aggregate, there have been too many mistakes and too many picks. And of course, if Fisher is gonna rail on the receivers for mental lapses, then he should damn well give them credit when they bail Keenum out. Fair is fair.

Words of Justice and an eye for eye.. Well spoken sir -X-

Oh and fisher needs to get some serious rest..

View: https://youtu.be/I3znSbbu9IU?t=69

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm with @LoyalRam on this one. Fisher has taken all the fun out of Rams games the past few years. He reverted to boring, lackadaisical, Stone Age football. The guy is never wrong and he has the best QB the world has ever seen. This upcoming bye week is much needed for both the players and the fans.

On a serious note, I'll never understand how a coach can harp on saying a QB is your future starter and yet you continue to not start him. All 31 other teams would be starting Goff in this situation. Fisher is stubborn and shouldn't be coaching this team anymore. We're not going to the playoffs. Just end our misery Fisher and retire.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
My Avi change should let you know how I feel about the coaching staff at the moment. Fisher has no sense of urgency and it's just weird to me at this point. If he has a master plan, he is terrible at communicating that with the media.
This feels like the Shaun Hill and Austin Davis situation where everyone else was ready for the change except Fisher. Then he makes the change during game week. Just give the kid some confidence and make him the starter. We ain't yanking a HOF'er from the field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He has to give Coop and Spruce chances to be integrated into this offense. That has to happen. Marquez, as he said, is a fine "special teams player," but he's not going to be a guy who can be depended on when the game's on the line to catch a critical 3rd and 4, or a 4th and 3 or whatever. Spruce and Coop are young guys who get it, and can help this team, though, because in a critical situation they'll both catch the ball.

He also has to give the OL a long look. They are the reason the run game is not clicking moreso than anything else and their inconsistency is terrible. I think it might be time to move Roger to LT and roll with Robinson on the pine. That's what I'd do at least, fwiw. They could also flip-flop the two, but I think that would be a mistake because GRob isn't the smartest dude around and he'd probably regress if they made him absorb new techniques. Put him on the bench in case Roger gets hurt, and rider Roger's more consistent pass blocking with Brown next to him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I'm gonna keep harping on this, because I rarely nail something so precisely as when I called this during the offseason. lol. Fisher and Keenum have had a connection since they first signed him, and Fisher didn't think he would lose him to Houston. And he wouldn't have, were it not for all of Houston's QBs winding up on the scrap heap. They're like bros. Best buds. BFFs. I think he *really* likes how Keenum handles the huddle, how he handles himself, and he especially loves his energy and elite levels of no-quit. He probably looks at him and it reminds him of ... him ... when he was a player himself.

I do think Fisher is right though. Keenum has made some mistakes in the past, but you can very easily make an argument that a lot of them were avoidable with better execution. I'm not gonna go into how many of his ints weren't his fault, because that just makes people angry. I will say, however, that in the aggregate, there have been too many mistakes and too many picks. And of course, if Fisher is gonna rail on the receivers for mental lapses, then he should damn well give them credit when they bail Keenum out. Fair is fair.

He needs to blame Keenum along with the receivers and OLine. To quote Fisher, "This is a hard game". Yes it is and every team is good. If you are going to win then you have to overcome adversity at every position but the position that has the ball on every play, the QB, has to be able to overcome it more than any other position on the field. Wilson and Brady don't let other people's mistakes hold them back. They find a way to win. Their Olines are not good, but they get the ball out quick and make good decisions. No team has perfect execution. Fisher makes it sound like that is the only way to succeed.

And your right. Fisher has a Boner for Case. I might to if I met him. He seems like a cool guy. And with more work he could be a good QB in the right system. Andy Reid would love him in his drink and dunk offense if he was in need of a QB. But again to quote Fisher, "This isn't personal, it's just business". Speak what you preach Jeff.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it might be time to move Roger to LT

Roger was not good at LT at all that's why we drafted GRob. Also every time he plays tackle either left or right he gets hurt. Leave him alone and put Person in if anybody plays for GRob IMO.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

The highlighted part for me sums up why Fisher has not been a success as a HC. He wants a ball control time consuming offense that doesn't score a lot of points and leans on really good defense to keep the opponents score down. In other words his entire philosophy revolves around creating close games. Problem is the players he prepares for games don't play mistake free football and do everything exactly right. Far from it.