Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, OC Brian Schottenheimer & DC Tim Walton Press Conference Transcripts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – December 19, 2013

(On the possibility of the Super Bowl being played on a Saturday if a large snowstorm hits New York that weekend)
“Is that what they’re talking about? Yeah, I was not aware of that, but I know really from the onset, when New York was awarded the Super Bowl, the concern was the weather. A storm can shut the city down, which makes it kind of hard to play a football game, but I’m sure they’re prepared for whatever the alternatives are.”

(On S T.J. McDonald’s play)
“He’s just getting better and better. His first game back, he had a little difficulty decelerating, which is understandable because of that injury. But the second week and even last week, he was just back to where he was before he had the injury and with a lot more experience.”

(On if McDonald made a nice play when he picked off Saints QB Drew Brees)
“Yeah, it was a great play. He got a lot of good help from (DE) Rob (Quinn), but it’s a good play.”

(On his main concerns about Tampa Bay’s defense)
“If you watch game after game, they are really physical up front, run very well, rush the passer. Any time a ball carrier’s got the ball in his hands, someone’s trying to strip it out, and they can make plays on balls, too. Two good safeties and (Ccool smiley Darrelle’s (Revis) playing really good. I know he doesn’t feel like he’s 100 percent, but he looks like he’s 100 percent of Darrelle. It’s well-coached. The scheme is an aggressive scheme. They play their zone, but they match up very well. They play their man, they cover it well and then they pressure you.”

(On if it is rare to see numbers like Bucs LB Lavonte David has put up this year)
“No, we saw that ability coming out. We liked him, and he’s playing behind a real solid front, so he can go to the ball. He can see ball, go get ball kind of thing. He’s a good blitzer. They match him up on backs and he usually wins, so it’s a good defensive team.”

(On WR Vincent Jackson)
“Big target, can run, can get behind you. The quarterback can see him, and he’s got a really good long ball. He throws a real good deep ball, extends plays, and when things break down he usually puts the ball up and gives him a chance. It’s going to be a good match-up for us.”

(On if the Tampa Bay defense is one of the better defenses they’ve see this year)
“It seems like we face a good one every week, but this one…we’ll know. We’ll find out. But it’s really much improved.”

(On if he has to remind his team to be consistent with their effort going into this week)
“We haven’t had inconsistency of effort any time this year. Our play’s been a little bit inconsistent because we’ve turned the ball over and done some things. But, no, I don’t have to tell them anything. All they have to do is take a look at the film. They just look at the tape, who they’re playing, so it takes care of it.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Post-Practice

(On the Tampa Bay defense)
“It’s a very good defense. I think it starts up front. Obviously, you’ve got (DE Adrian) Clayborn, (DT Gerald) McCoy. They fit those guys in there with those linebackers. I think Lavonte David is one of the best young linebackers in the league. I know he leads the team in tackles, I think he leads in interceptions, and second in sacks. So, the front seven’s excellent. Then of course, you’ve got those two safeties with (Mark) Barron and (Dashon) Goldson. And of course, I’m pretty familiar with (Ccool smiley Darrelle (Revis).”

(On knowing Goldson from when he played for the 49ers)
“Absolutely. We played them (the Buccaneers) last year. They’re playing even better this year. They were a good group last year. (Head) Coach (Greg) Schiano and those guys have them playing really hard. It’ll be a good challenge for us, but it all starts up front with their front seven.”

(On if the Tampa Bay defense is one of the best in the league)
“I think so when you watch them play, absolutely. They cause a lot of problems with what they do. They’re one-gap penetrators, they knock people back, and they do a nice job of taking the football away. You look at the last couple games, it’s like three takeaways – when they’ve gotten on this little bit of a winning streak – it’s been three takeaways here, four takeaways there, two takeaways there. So, protecting the football will be big for us and certainly not giving them anything.”

(On David’s combination of tackles, sacks, and interceptions being unique for a linebacker)
“I think, obviously, it speaks to him as a player. It certainly speaks to the fact that they’re putting him in the right spot to make plays. They do a good job with him in their pressure packages. He’s real involved in some of the things that they do from a pressure package standpoint. But, obviously, a great athlete. Runs sideline to sideline, plays really hard. He’s truly one of the best young linebackers in the league.”

(On if the Tampa Bay defense blitzes much)
“They do. They keep you off balance. Certainly when they need a play it’s going to come. I think their numbers are somewhere around 30 percent on first, second down and even higher, like 50 (percent), on third down. So, they keep you on your toes and hit some good stuff, but again, it’s the tempo that they run that creates problems.”

(On McCoy)
“Not to throw complements but, one of the best interior defensive linemen in the league, playing at a high level. Just so disruptive, he’s so quick off the ball, so strong and powerful. His counter moves, when you get him in a certain situation he’s able to counter it and come back inside. Again, they do a good job of moving him around, but he’s got probably, I think, it’s 8.0 or 8.5 (sacks) and he’s probably come close on another 10 or 12. So again, he’s a force to be reckoned with.”

(On LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar lining up in the backfield of the victory formation against the Saints)
“‘Coach Fish’s (Head Coach Jeff Fisher) got a good plan with that stuff and we kind of have fun with it each week. We put different people out there, but getting a chance to beat the Saints and Jo-Lonn being from there was pretty cool. He had to report eligible. He did everything right. So, it was good.”

(On QB Kellen Clemens game against the Saints, specifically his accuracy)
“I think we got him off to a good start. I think he had a good week of practice. He’s a guy that’s going to work. He’s still out here working now just getting things right in his mind. But, he had a good week of practice. He’s a confident guy and it helps a little bit when you get a…you don’t normally get a 31-yard touchdown on a little fire pass to the flat. Again, I thought he played really, really well.”

(On it seeming like Clemens is having fun with the opportunity to play despite taking some big hits)
“He is. Obviously, he’s one of the toughest guys I’ve ever been around. That was certainly a tough shot (in Arizona) and you don’t like to see your quarterbacks ever take those hits, but I don’t think there’s any question he was coming back in the game. He’s been that way his whole career, and again, I think that’s one of the reasons why the guys love him so much just because he is so tough. He certainly is leading the group. There’s a tempo that he’s got us playing at right now, which is good.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Tim Walton – Post-Practice

(On S T.J. McDonald’s play since returning from his injury)
“He’s been doing very well. Like I’ve said, it took him a few games to get his feet back under him, but now he’s flying around. He’s tackling well and he’s playing with a lot of aggression. So, we’re pleased with it, and he’s been able to communicate and make the checks and do all the things that you need to do as a safety.”

(On McDonald’s interception against New Orleans)
“Just was able to get inside. (DE) Robert Quinn did a great inside move and was able to force the quarterback to not get a lot of velocity on the ball. They tried to run ‘sluggo seam’ (route) on us, and he carried the seam very well and undercut the seam route and made a great play on it.”

(On if it was a good rookie play)
“Yes, no doubt. And he made some other good plays. He made some nice tackles in the game, and that was a big part of it. He was able to tackle well in the game as far as the run game, and that allowed us to be able to go attack the passer as far as rushing it.”

(On LB Alec Ogletree’s performance this season)
“He’s been very good. He played physical in this game. He was a big part of the run game also. He had some nice stops. He’s always going to be very productive – that’s the thing about him. He’s always around the football. He gets his hands on balls, and that’s what you want. You want your linebackers to be very active.”

(On how much LB James Laurinaitis has helped Ogletree’s progression)
“Tremendously. Obviously James is a leader of the defense, very smart. Helps put them in good positions, the linemen. Helps him on the field, how to look at the right things and kind of anticipate some plays that may be coming. So, that helps Ogletree to be able to play fast, having a guy like that with that kind of leadership and that kind of experience on the field with you.”

(On what he sees from Tampa Bay’s offense)
“They have some weapons over there. They have a young quarterback, but he has a strong arm and he can make all the throws. Obviously, Vincent Jackson is a very good receiver, and (Buccaneers RB Bobby) Rainey’s been running the ball well, so they have some go-to guys. (Tim) Wright the tight end, they flex him out and he’s very versatile in the pass game, so they have some viable options that they can go to. They’ve played some really good games. They lost some close games and stuff this year, but they’re a good offensive football team.”

(On Rainey being the third running back to come in but being a tough runner)
“Yeah, but you know how that is. He has talent. You can look at some games. He has the ability to make guys miss in space. He’s a tough runner. He has the ability to go the distance and he’s done that this year. He has some long runs, and his game’s in space, like I said. He has a low center of gravity and he’s able to make guys miss, but he also has power. He’s a good overall back that has to be reckoned with.”

(On Buccaneers QB Mike Glennon’s progression since he assumed the starting role)
“The more playing time you get – that’s with any young guy – you get better. You start to see more things and obviously he has some weapons to go to out there and he has a strong arm, like I said. He’s a smart kid and he can make all the throws. He has a cannon for an arm, and he has some guys that can go up top. (Buccaneers WR Tiquan) Underwood is a speedy receiver they can hit on the deep ball. Then Jackson has been a very good player in this league for a long time, and he has good size on him. So, he can go up top with those guys and make good targets for him. And Wright is good in space. He flexes the tight end out a lot and moves him around, so he has some guys that he can go to that can create some match-ups.”