Rams haven't named starting NT yet, but battle is 'really sorting itself out'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_10847044.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 2 minutes ago
The Los Angeles Rams entered this offseason knowing Ndamukong Suh likely wasn’t going to return. They prepared for his eventual departure by drafting Sebastian Joseph-Day in 2018 and Greg Gaines this year, while also keeping Tanzel Smart around.
Those three are competing to replace Suh at nose tackle with no true clarity who will be in the starting lineup against the Panthers come Sept. 8. Joseph-Day appears to be the front-runner, but if Gaines steps up consistently like he did against the Raiders last week, he could overtake the second-year player out of Rutgers.

It remains to be seen when the Rams will name a true starter at that spot, but it sounds like things are winding down in that competition.
“I think it’s really sorting itself out. That’s something that we’re closely monitoring and evaluating,” McVay said on Thursday. “I think Coach Henderson and Coach Bogardus are doing a really nice job with that group as a whole. But those three in particular, I think Sebastian has been a really big-time bright spot for us going back to the offseason. He’s picked up where he left off in training camp. Greg Gaines continues to gain confidence and understanding of what we’re trying to get done, playing more and more comfortable within the framework of the system. Tanzel Smart is one of those guys that can play the nose, he can play the three-technique. His versatility, his dependability is extremely valuable to us.”
Smart is likelier to play defensive tackle behind Aaron Donald than he is to start at nose tackle, which is why Joseph-Day and Gaines are the top candidates to earn the starting job. That doesn’t mean Smart hasn’t stood out, he’s just a better fit at three-technique than he is over the center at nose tackle.
It does sound like all three will make the 53-man roster, though, which is good news for Smart.

“Those are three guys that have definitely made a name for themselves and we’re closely looking at to see what kind of role they shape and carve out for themselves come regular season,” he continued.
This is one of the most important position battles on the roster, considering how big a role the nose tackle plays in run defense and eating up blocks. Without a quality starter there, the Rams could struggle to stop the run again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Outside of all the predictions on who will start I think it's ironic that Gaines was envisioned and discussed ad nauseum as the "obvious run downs" guy (with I presume Brock sliding inside on passing downs and JFM at 5T). Because as I have been saying Gaines produces interior pressure quite well and in Wade's defense he is going to see some offensive backfield which means a few sacks and some TFL.

SJD is more of that run stuffer and space eater type to my eyes. He's not going to produce as much pressure on the pocket even in a one gap. And I'm not knocking him here. If the Rams elect vs certain teams to 2 gap their interior then SJD is probably a better choice for those first two downs.

Either way I do think we have a 2 deep NT position. Which is just about the best news we could have hoped for when we decided to let Suh take his overpaid road show to Tampa. Hope that trend continues this preseason, too, because that defensive front is going to get challenged in the opener.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick look at current depth chart (note: last year Rams kept a roster of 7):

3T: Donald
1T: SJD
5T: Brock

DL4: JFM (hasn't shined too much yet)
DL5: Gaines (very close for starting NT job after preseason game one)
DL6: Smart (flexibility valued by Rams)
DL7: Fox (might very well be higher than this)

Roberts / Jones / Copeland... None seem to have really threatened the top 7 yet. This roster looks like it's more a matter of "will they keep 7" than "who is the 7."

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Wish I could say otherwise, but SJD did not look good vs the Raiders. Noticeable balance issues, a lot of (as Chris Berman would say) ‘rumblin’ bumblin’ and stumblin’. Just didn’t look like a high level athlete.

Was a non-factor in the plays I saw, no pressure, didn’t beat his guy. Had one decent tackle.

Hope SJD shows more against the Pokes.

Ram65

Legend
I rewatched the first half. SJD didn't look really bad. He made a couple of tackles. One he was cut blocked and got right up and made the tackle. He got off balance once and push down to the ground. Lots of minor penetration.

Saw Gaines on the highlights got some good penetration later in the game. He has that lower center of gravity and strength to get the push and move his blocker. Shows some quickness too.

Smart made some plays too.

Let's see how they progress.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Most interesting storyline of camp, the DL?

o_O

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Whoever it is, I believe their game will improve quickly lined up with Brock and Donald.
With Fowler and a fitter looking Brock and full-camp Donald, I am very optimistic about how we play up front.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think Gaines will be starting no later than week 6. BTW I don't see a haha emoji so am stuck with like reaction. I think you know where I wanted the former.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I think Gaines will be starting no later than week 6. BTW I don't see a haha emoji so am stuck with like reaction. I think you know where I wanted the former.
Ya just have to keep your finger on the like for a second then options appear

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping that Gaines gets to be the starter in Hawaii and keeps improving, never losing the spot. I'm guessing deep down the Rams hope the same. They traded up for him, they like his potential.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Game one went to Gaines, SJD on the first Raider touchdown was moved and did not hold up well on that play. We shall see how this continues to play out, but after game one the Gaines pick looking really good.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
How important is leverage in football, it is extremely important. The low-short powerful man usually wins in football i.e. 6'1 280lbs Aaron Donald,6'1 316lbs Greg Gaines.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
How important is leverage in football, it is extremely important. The low-short powerful man usually wins in football i.e. 6'1 280lbs Aaron Donald,6'1 316lbs Greg Gaines.

That is one thing that always amazes me! Aaron Donald has to be one of the smallest DT’s in the League but he is definitely THE BEST! I guess size does not always matter!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
That is one thing that always amazes me! Aaron Donald has to be one of the smallest DT’s in the League but he is definitely THE BEST! I guess size does not always matter!

It helps when you're the strongest, the fastest, and have the best technique.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope we get to see them both rotated with Dallas 1s in there. Gaines did look good in game one but he drew the lesser matchups so we should have a good idea after tonight's game.

ILBs gonna be tested too so can't wait. Dallas being a run-first team, they're just what we need right now IMO.