Rams Have Work Cut Out to Close Gap with Seahawks/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Have Work Cut Out to Close Gap with Seahawks
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2014/12/31/rams-work-cut-close-gap-seahawks/

While conducting his post-game interview on Sunday with Steve Savard and D’Marco Farr, Jeff Fisher made a rather stirring comment in wake of his team’s loss to Seattle.

Despite the fact that Pete Carroll’s team successfully wrapped up homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and his squad just concluded a 6-10 season, Fisher said that the Rams are “closing the gap” between themselves and the Seahawks. These, of course, are the same Seahawks that are coming off a dominating Super Bowl performance back in February.

Now would be the time to be flippant and take sarcastic, less-than-witty shots at how Fisher is delusional about the state of his franchise. But I’m not going to crush him for believing the Rams are closer to catching the Seahawks than they were a year ago. There is some truth to what Fisher is saying, mainly due to how Aaron Donald is now on the same defensive line as fellow first-rounders Robert Quinn, Chris Long and Michael Brockers. T.J. McDonald also made significant strides in his development from last year to this season, and E.J. Gaines turned out to be a steal in the sixth round.

But while the Rams are built to compete with the Seahawks from a defensive standpoint, offensively they might as well be light years away.

Let’s start at quarterback, because that’s the easiest distinction between the two teams. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Russell Wilson rushed for 849 yards in the regular season, which was 210 more than any other quarterback. As Terry Blount of NFL Nation recently wrote, “Based on the down distance and situation, Wilson’s runs added more than twice as many points to his team’s net scoring margin than any other quarterback.”

When squaring off against the likes of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, defenses mix up coverages in hopes that they can somehow stay a step ahead during a given game. But at least when opponents face pocket passers, they don’t have to account for the quarterback on running plays and thus, from a mathematical standpoint, they still have the edge.

But with Wilson running the read option, defenses are forced to bring additional defenders to stop the run. That methodical advantage that they had on running plays is now gone because at least one defender has to account for the quarterback, who can do things like this.

I’m not breaking any news when I note that the Rams don’t have that type of weapon at quarterback. In fact, they don’t have a reliable option at quarterback period, let alone a dynamic one like Wilson. Finding a quarterback this offseason won’t be a simple task, either.

The other advantage the Seahawks currently have is that they have an established identity. When they traded Percy Harvin to the Jets earlier this season they lost a playmaker at the skill position but the move hardly left them without a personality. Opponents knew they still had to stop Marshawn Lynch and account for Wilson’s mobility both on passing and rushing plays. Losing Harvin didn’t change who the Seahawks were.

On top of somehow finding a quarterback that won’t make them limited in the passing game, the Rams also have to establish a clear identity, one that they can use to impose their will on opponents as opposed to merely hoping will show up on a game-by-game basis. They ostensibly want to be a power-based offense but you’re not going to win enough games to compete for a playoff berth when you’re only gaining 4.1 yards per attempt on the season.

If the Rams are content with bringing back Sam Bradford at a reduced cost and keeping Brian Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator, then they better build up the O-line like Dallas did. They need an upgrade at center, guard and probably right tackle, which is tough to accomplish in one offseason. But if you can’t find an impact signal-caller, the next best thing is to build up the running game as much as possible and rely on a quarterback that won’t turn the ball over. The Chiefs reached the playoffs a year ago with this philosophy and nearly did so again in 2014 despite not one of their receivers catching a touchdown pass.
tre mason-2

Without a solid QB option, the Rams will likely lean on the ground attack with running back Tre Mason.

But the Chiefs also rushed for 6.3 yards per attempt in a win over the Seahawks earlier this year and finished with an average of 4.6 YPA for the season. For comparison, the Rams rushed for 3.8 and 2.2 yards per attempt, respectively, in their two games against the Seahawks. So when talking about finding a true identity, I’m talking about the Rams being able to play to their strength not only against the Oaklands and Washingtons of the league, but against the stiffest competition as well.

The Rams have proven over the past two years that they can be competitive in the division and Gregg Williams’ defense can complete with any opponent in the league (or at least the ones that don’t have Odell Beckham).

That’s probably why Fisher suggested, even following a 20-6 loss, that the Rams are closing the gap with a team like Seattle.

But the Seahawks are consistent and unrelenting. They have their quarterback, their identity and a transcendent defense. For all intents and purposes the Rams might be closer to the Seahawks than they were a year ago, but the fact remains that there’s still a sizable gap.

And with that, they certainly have their work cut out this offseason if they truly want to narrow the distance between themselves and who they’re looking up at in the division.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Think Fish looks at the team with Sam at qb! Much like he thought about it going into the draft in May! Had things worked out as planned the team may have been sitting at home this weekend with a bye waiting for their first playoff game in a decade! He's an optimist as I think most coaches and us fans are by nature! At least most of us! :sneaky:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So the Rams and hags split the season with each home team winning. Did this simple fact elude this renowned scribe?

How about the fact that the Rams have pummeled the Seattle golden boy and shut down their offense giving up only 1 score in the Seattle game? If not for some VERY fortunate bounces in Seattles favor the Rams win both games this year. The pick 6 and the Cunningham fumble (damnit Cunningham hold on to the fuking ball) go the other direction and how close are these teams now??

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Losing Harvin didn’t change who the Seahawks were.
Why the hell would it? He caught 23 passes in nearly 2 years there.
That was the Seahawks' identity? lol.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Fuck this guy! We shut them down and if we had someone half way capable at the QB position it might have been a route. We held our own. Just some bad luck for us and good luck for them. Arg! Did he even watch the game or just read the box scores?

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
What is up with our local media slobbering on seacock lately?

Give Seattle their due, they won the game, but it is not as though they blew the Rams off the field.
Their "dynamic" Wilson and "beastly" Lynch combined for zero points in the first half and six points through three quarters.
I guess this guy understands football better than I do, because I don't see the huge gap in performance between these two teams.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We also got screwed out of several wins earlier this season by the refs who at best were instructed to keep the games "close".

But that aside, let's see how the shehawks fare when they have to pay their running back, oops, I mean their "QB" 20 million a year, and after Lynch gets cut.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Stalter has been very negative regarding the Rams.

I am not for candy coating the truth but he throws lemon juice and onions on it every chance he gets. He really comes across as a jaded girlfriend or a depressed drunk lately.

Big Willie

Starter
The difference between winning and losing often small. The Rams have talent. They can now compete defensively with almost any team. The offense is improving and has more talent than last year. The talent gap is closing between the teams in the NFC West, so I have no idea what Stalter is talking about. The next step in the process, QB issues aside, is for their playmakers to consistently make plays. If Ogletree, Mason, Austin, Bailey, Cook, Donald, Gaines, Quinn, Quick, Britt, McDonald and Robinson can take their game to the next level, we have a playoff contender (QB still needs to be addressed). JJ, Tru, and McLeod should be ascending, but they (in my opinion) have not shown we can count on them to do that. The balance of the team, CLong, Laurinitis, Hayes, etc. are quality players but probably are what they are and will never ascend. Like all teams, the Rams need to improve through a solid draft and free agency. If they can get consistency at QB and the ascending players get better, I believe they can compete for a playoff spot. Not a big fan of Stalter....and his article illustrates his lack of knowledge of how teams are built.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If they don't improve the Oline then everything they do will look just like it did this year.
Ask Tony Romo if you don't believe me.

iced

Need a line and another receiver if we wanna close the gap - their secondary is as tough as they come

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't know who this Stalter guy is, but I agree with him wholeheartedly.

The Rams can be closing the gap towards the Seahawks on a game day basis all they want, but until they start winning vs. the other teams like they do, they aren't even close to being in their league.

Minus an impact signal caller, the next best thing to do is to build up the running game as much as possible and rely on a quarterback that won’t turn the ball over.

And a power based rushing attack does have to average more than 4.1 yards per carry. And no matter the circumstances, it's sad that Russell Wilson rushed for more yards than the Rams top running back.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Well, The Fisher King already openly stated the obvious---that the Horns need to fix the OL. Therefore, we can expect that to be a prime agenda going forward. I always like Russell as a QB from his rookie year. However, I still suspect Sam will emerge as the best QB in the Wild, Wild NFC West with (1) a solid pass blocking OL and (2) solid receivers at his command. Those are the two thing he has lacked ever since he entered the league. For a team drafting a known pocket passer, even with salary cap issues, failing to provide at least one of these was inexcusable. There are NFL QB's who's confidence were irreparably damaged with less crap than Sam has had to deal with.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, The Fisher King already openly stated the obvious---that the Horns need to fix the OL. Therefore, we can expect that to be a prime agenda going forward. I always like Russell as a QB from his rookie year. However, I still suspect Sam will emerge as the best QB in the Wild, Wild NFC West with (1) a solid pass blocking OL and (2) solid receivers at his command. Those are the two thing he has lacked ever since he entered the league. For a team drafting a known pocket passer, even with salary cap issues, failing to provide at least one of these was inexcusable. There are NFL QB's who's confidence were irreparably damaged with less crap than Sam has had to deal with.

IMO, where the Rams failed Bradford the most is not providing / building a strong rushing attack to take the pressure off of him. Either way, he's got to stay healthy.

jap

Legend
IMO, where the Rams failed Bradford the most is not providing / building a strong rushing attack to take the pressure off of him. Either way, he's got to stay healthy.

You need strong run blocking to dominate in rushes, and the Rams' OL has not been truly strong in anything for quite a while.

My focus on the poor pass blocking and poor receiving was on how it relates to Sam absorbing an inordinate amount of hits. If your OL can't block, your QB gets clobbered. If your receivers can't get open, your signal caller gets punked. That's a hell of a way to introduce your young franchise QB to the NFL.

The Horns had SJ when Sam arrived. However, SJ's best year was 2006 when they actually had a dominant run blocking OL that allowed SJ to rush for over 1500 yards. They have some interesting young RB's now, but they need a dominant OL to truly dominate consistently. Good rushing always helps QB's, but, with good RB's on hand, everything still depends on a solid run blocking OL.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't understand some of the negativity directed toward Stalter.

Why shoot the messenger? His job is not to be a Ram or Fisher cheerleader.

I think he offers an unvarnished assessment in his piece and I, for one, appreciate it.

Frankly, quite a few others have been writing blunt year end reviews, as well. Most of them, actually.

Hopefully, the powers that be are reading and reflecting on them. How can we hope to solve these rather obvious problems until we first acknowledge that they exist?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The way the Rams finished the season, I have to wonder if they really are closing the gap. The Cardinals are slumping. They were very beatable. Yet we couldn't find a way. The Giants were 5-9. That alone says they were beatable. Again, couldn't find a way. I would say if the rams are closing the gap it will be because the seahawks are descending rather than the Rams ascending.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Stalter has been very negative regarding the Rams.

I am not for candy coating the truth but he throws lemon juice and onions on it every chance he gets. He really comes across as a jaded girlfriend or a depressed drunk lately.
Reminds me of the Turf Showtimes guys .... damn their negativity is tiresome.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Not really ...

A healthy Bradford alone would dam near do it. Put an OL in front of him and we are flat out better.

Stupid crap like this irritates me greatly.