Rams Have The Makings Of An Elite Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
Rams gonna get back to the big game via Defense. No offense to the Offense, who will be Top 12 ish. That's all we're gonna need from them. Robert Rochell, Decobie Durant, Derion Kendrick, Daniel Hardy and Chris Garrett are all "DAWGS," who are gonna put this Defense, led by Aaron Donald, Leonard Floyd, Jalen Ramsey, Greg Gaines, Bobby Wagner, A 'Shawn Robinson, Justin Hollins, Nick Scott, Jordan Fuller and Taylor Rapp into the Elite category. Yes guys, your sunny, Southern California Rams are gonna be Defensive stalwarts, en route to repeating, as your 2022 Super Bowl Champions.

Shout out to the Offense, who will be just as important, utilizing Elite NFL talent Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Tyler Higbee, Cam Akers, and soon-to-be-returning Odell Beckham, along with budding star Joe Noteboom. You guys can relax and play easy, Defense gonna bring us the Ring this year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think there's a great argument to make that what will get us closer to 2020's defense is a stellar secondary rather than another big pass rushing force aside from Donald. Like hearing what we're seeing so far from the rushers right now but having talent that can lock down CB2 and slot and maybe have a bit more seasoning at safety (remember we lost JJ3 and Hill last year) can go a long way for us to duplicate the stats from 2020.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It would not surprise me to see this defense take a big step. They were good last year but not great until that home stretch in the playoffs. And even then much of that was the front taking over games. This year is a different group with less threat up front but better up the middle and on the back end. So yeah I could see them being great this year, especially if we can get the safeties sorted.

Corners right now seem like they're gonna be strong. It's been a constant note from everyone thus far with all these guys showing out. Whoever wins with that much competition should be solid at the least. I mean compare this to last year and it's night and day. This group has a chance to start fast and put up a great season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

with reeder not out there giving up 1st downs like candy on halloween the rams d instantly became better when he left. now add in wagner who will always be in the right spot and make the tackle the rams d will go to another level. i'm so pumped wagner and jones are our lbers now. we're gonna see some great defense this season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Aaron Donald says he'll remain with Rams and continue playing football as long as Sean McVay remains​

Aaron Donald accomplished everything imaginable in the NFL in his eight-year career, contemplating calling it quits after he helped the Los Angeles Rams win a Super Bowl. Donald ultimately decided to return to the Rams and sign a contract extension in the process, tying him with the franchise for the next three seasons.

When will Donald decide to hang up his cleats for good? Donald, now 31, has a plan.

"If Sean (Rams head coach Sean McVay) ain't here -- I told Sean when he first got here. We came up with some things early and I first told him as long as he's the head coach here, I want to continue to build my legacy with him," Donald said, via NFL.com. "As long as he's here and I got the ability to still play at a high level, I'm going to be here. When he's gone and it's all said and done, that probably will be when I'm hanging it up, too."

Donald already has a Hall of Fame resume, and is looking to add to it in the next few seasons under McVay. He already has three Defensive Player of the Year awards, tying him with J.J. Watt and Lawrence Taylor for the most in NFL history. Donald has made the Pro Bowl in all of his eight seasons, trailing Taylor and Derrick Thomas for the most consecutive Pro Bowls to start a career.

Donald has 98 sacks in his career, the most for a defensive tackle after his first eight seasons in NFL history (and fourth-most by any player). His 150 tackles for loss and 226 quarterback hits in his first eight seasons are second-most by a player in NFL history (and most for a defensive tackle). He also has seven first-team All-Pro selections in eight seasons and is the only player in the NFL with 400 pressures over the last five years.

A top-five finisher in NFL Defensive Player of the Year voting seven consecutive seasons, Donald also already has a Super Bowl championship -- along with 6.5 sacks and 17 quarterback hits in 10 postseason games. He could have retired and already been considered one of the best defensive players ever, but there's more to prove.

"It's always going to be motivation to do everything you can to get back (to the Super Bowl)," Donald said. "That's the ultimate goal. That's what you work for. When you're grinding and out here working right now, that's in the back of your mind. To try to do everything you can to have a great season and try to be the last team standing."

BrooklynRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cant believe, and I apologize for, leaving Ernest Jones out of my OP. He's actually a big reason I feel this way (elite D)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
My biggest worry is losing Sean McVay. Players have a shelf life. Coaches don't. McVay can be considered one of the best ever if he stays with the Rams his whole career. I'm hoping the reason the word got out that he was considering retirement was for contract reasons. There is a dynasty that can be built in LA. But not without McVay.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
My biggest worry is losing Sean McVay. Players have a shelf life. Coaches don't. McVay can be considered one of the best ever if he stays with the Rams his whole career. I'm hoping the reason the word got out that he was considering retirement was for contract reasons. There is a dynasty that can be built in LA. But not without McVay.
McVay will be a MASSIVE loss, should he ever decide to leave.

That being said... with what everyone in the front office has learned and experienced, I wonder how well they would do hiring the next HC and setting that coach up for success.

I think that the total organizational culture is special and could probably flip the script to a new era in decent time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

2022 NFL Preview: Rams had a magical Super Bowl ride, which will be hard to repeat​

Frank Schwab

.............The Rams will probably win the NFC West again, though they'll be tested. They also could get right back to a Super Bowl. I don't think I'll be picking the Rams to repeat as NFC champs because it's hard to make that run two years in a row.........

jjab360

Legend
I feel like there's a ton of talent on all levels of this D right now. I look at every position and I see top talent and rising talent.

The offense will be good again but I see the defense taking a massive step forward in Raheem's second year as DC.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I feel like there's a ton of talent on all levels of this D right now. I look at every position and I see top talent and rising talent.

The offense will be good again but I see the defense taking a massive step forward in Raheem's second year as DC.
With health… there is a shit-ton to be excited about on that defense.

I’m actually looking forward to 9ers games…

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yeah, and let us not forget that B. Wagner has some of his best games against the Whiners.
Looking forward to seeing him dominate them in a Rams uniform.

~ArkyRamsFan~

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We seem to be as deep a team right now as I can remember. From the ownership down to the water boy. This is our window. It should be fun this year again.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’ll be honest.. most of my expectations for this defense don’t factor in Terrel Lewis.
A healthy Lewis certainly makes up a decent amount for losing Von. He’s a HUGE X factor.

WestCoastRam

Legend
From Athletic:

"Rams safety Taylor Rapp finished last season with 205 coverage snaps in the slot — more than any other safety in the NFL. In Staley’s Chargers defense, safety Derwin James tallied 139 slot coverage snaps, which ranked 13th league-wide."

From an excellent article on the proliferation of "Power slots" in the league. I do think that number will come down (a little) with some Hill in the slot this season taking some of those snaps but I bet he still finishes top 5 in slot coverage snaps for a safety.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
From Athletic:

"Rams safety Taylor Rapp finished last season with 205 coverage snaps in the slot — more than any other safety in the NFL. In Staley’s Chargers defense, safety Derwin James tallied 139 slot coverage snaps, which ranked 13th league-wide."

From an excellent article on the proliferation of "Power slots" in the league. I do think that number will come down (a little) with some Hill in the slot this season taking some of those snaps but I bet he still finishes top 5 in slot coverage snaps for a safety.
Just read the article...
I've been saying that about Hill since the Rams brought him back. He ran the most snaps in the STAR role for the Rams in '20. He's not big.. but plays really tough in the run game for his size. I think he's the natural 3rd corner against the bigger slots because of his run D... at least to start the season. I'm really hoping Rochell takes control of the #2 spot.