Rams have only 6 draft picks in 2016.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/1/3/10706254/2016-nfl-draft-order-st-louis-rams

The Rams have six picks in all in the 2016 NFL Draft thanks to the Sam Bradford-Nick Foles trade that gifted them the Eagles' second round pick, the selection of Isaiah Battle in the Supplemental Draft that cost them their 2016 NFL Draft fifth-round pick and the trade for Case Keenum that sent the Rams' seventh-round pick to the Houston Texans:

Round Pick
1 #15
2 Rams pick
2 Rams pick via Eagles
3 Rams pick
4 Rams pick
6 Rams pick

5th rounder for I Battle in supplemental draft
7th rounder for C Keenum.

I wasn't sure so I looked it up . Hope this correct. It will be much different than in recent years with all the extra picks. Looks like the two second rounders will be filled with the #13 and #15 from the Eagles for Bradford. At least Battle has a year under his belt in an NFL training environment.

12. New Orleans Saints: 7-9 (.504 SOS)
13. Philadelphia Eagles: 7-9 (.508 SOS)
14. Oakland Raiders: 7-9 (.512 SOS)
15. St. Louis Rams: 7-9 (.528 SOS)
16. Detroit Lions: 7-9 (.536 SOS)
17. Atlanta Falcons: 8-8 (.478 SOS)
18. Indianapolis Colts: 8-8 (.500 SOS)
19. Buffalo Bills: 8-8 (.508 SOS)
20. New York Jets: 10-6 (.441 SOS)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope Snead doesn't get the idea that he needs those picks back. Similar to the way he wanted his 5th rounder back and passed up on Bobby Wagner to get it, landing us Isaiah Pead instead and Rok Watkins. Take the best player you can get. Screw the later round picks.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That's all we need....hell, I'd take one of those troubled players (Duke Williams) with our 6th....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Do I have the right numbers on the first 4 selections?

1-First Round #15
2-Second Round (a) #43
3-Second Round (b) #45
4-Third Round #76
5-Forth Round # ??
6-Sixth Round # ??

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Do I have the right numbers on the first 4 selections?

1-First Round #15
2-Second Round (a) #43
3-Second Round (b) #45
4-Third Round #76
5-Forth Round # ??
6-Sixth Round # ??

You are spot on with the first three rounds. Based on the projections for compensatory picks that I have seen, our fourth rounder will be #111 and our sixth rounder will be #193. We are not projected to have any compensatory picks.

On a related note the rest of our division looks like this:

Arizona................ 7 total picks including 1 comp pick in rd 5
San Francisco.... 13 total picks including 4 comp picks beginning in rd 4
Seattle.................. 9 total picks including 3 comp picks beginning in rd 3

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You are spot on with the first three rounds. Based on the projections for compensatory picks that I have seen, our fourth rounder will be #111 and our sixth rounder will be #193. We are not projected to have any compensatory picks.

On a related note the rest of our division looks like this:

Arizona................ 7 total picks including 1 comp pick in rd 5
San Francisco.... 13 total picks including 4 comp picks beginning in rd 4
Seattle.................. 9 total picks including 3 comp picks beginning in rd 3

Thank you very much!(y) I had seen that on some recent draft mocks where the 4th round selection was #107. So the Rams 2016 draft should look something close to the below:

First Round #15
Second Rd. #43 (Eagles)
Second Rd. #45
Third Round #76
Forth Round #111
Fifth Round (Traded for OLT Isaiah Battle)
Sixth Round #193
Seventh Rd. (Traded)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm really worried about them dealing one of those round 2 picks to move up. If they do move up for a QB, which I pray they do, I prefer they use a next year pick. I want to see this team win now and those round 2 picks are going to be extremely valuable to help that happen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm really worried about them dealing one of those round 2 picks to move up. If they do move up for a QB, which I pray they do, I prefer they use a next year pick. I want to see this team win now and those round 2 picks are going to be extremely valuable to help that happen.

I have no real issues with the use of one of the 2nd round selections in this yrs draft and maybe a third day draft pick in 2017 along with our first #15 pick in order to secure one of the top three QB's (Goff/Lynch/Wentz). I sure do not want to give up any more picks. Draft picks are just too priceless & cause damage way into the future of ball-clubs to bundle up in what could be one big bust! I am still amazed by the fact that Washington Redskins overcame the lost a 2nd rd pick in 2012 & two #1's in 2013 & 2014 so fast! I tend to think that their young HC & his assistants coaches major role in their 2015 season.

What I do desire most coming out of this upcoming Ram draft is securing a future good starting QB. Anything else right now would be very depressing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fish has to be thinking of himself and Snead right now. They have one season to get it right. From their perspective those second round picks are gold, because even after they bring in a FA upgrade at WR they are going to need to add talent at WR and TE and those second round picks are a great place to start.

If I'm him, I'd be much more willing to part with next year's first rounder along with a round 2 or other pick from that draft in conjunction with 15 overall to move up. I would not touch those two second rounders or any other pick this year if I could help it.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Fish has to be thinking of himself and Snead right now. They have one season to get it right. From their perspective those second round picks are gold, because even after they bring in a FA upgrade at WR they are going to need to add talent at WR and TE and those second round picks are a great place to start.

If I'm him, I'd be much more willing to part with next year's first rounder along with a round 2 or other pick from that draft in conjunction with 15 overall to move up. I would not touch those two second rounders or any other pick this year if I could help it.

I agree. This is the most probable senario.

A first round QB that shows promise keeps Fisher employed. (Next year's first does nothing for a team this ready to win.)

And, in terms of round 2... Hopefully we'll pick skilled guys ready to play, rather than athletes who could be great one day.

Pressure creates diamonds. And it's time that we show some sparkle.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I disagree. A policy of trading away a bunch of future picks and hoping that Kroenke does not notice that they sacrificed the future in order to save their jobs is not likely to work.

First - the Rams do need to go at least 8-8 in 2016 or Fisher and Snead are likely gone. But that won't be enough. If they trade up to grab a QB, he needs to have at least a promising rookie season, so there is reason to think the Rams really are moving upwards. And then Kroenke has to believe that Fisher and Snead are the guys to keep them moving upwards. Not having a first and another pick in next year's draft is NOT going to convince Kroenke of that. And it's not like a 2nd round pick this year is likely to make that big of an impact in 2016 anyway - some, but it's rare for a second rounder to be the difference in multiple extra wins, after all.

Fisher and Snead are smart enough to know that in order to be employed and finish the job, they may need to trade that second they got from Philly this year. That is enough to move them up to #8 or so. A mid round pick next year would be an acceptable addition to move up to #6, so long as they don't need to trade their first and second next year. Trading away most of the higher picks next year will mean that the team won't replace free agents long term - and Kroenke is smart enough to know that.

Never base a policy on the belief that your boss is too stupid to notice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First - the Rams do need to go at least 8-8 in 2016 or Fisher and Snead are likely gone. But that won't be enough. If they trade up to grab a QB, he needs to have at least a promising rookie season, so there is reason to think the Rams really are moving upwards. And then Kroenke has to believe that Fisher and Snead are the guys to keep them moving upwards.

Yes, Fish needs to ensure his starter for this season is good enough and also hedge his bets for the future. IF for example he manages to scoop Payton Manning for a one year deal after Denver cuts him loose (he will count $21.5 million towards their cap), he will still probably take a QB at 15 if one of those top 3 are there.

This is also why I fear he will trade for McCarron and move forward as if he has killed two birds with one stone, with Keenum and him duking it out in camp.

It could go either way, so when discussing the QB position in the draft I am assuming the Rams are going to take one of them if they are there and will even be willing to move up. But anyway as to the picks I don't think it's going to be a hard sell to Kroenke to move future (i.e. next year's draft) picks to finally get the right QB on this roster. If they moved up to get Goff, for example, the Rams will immediately be much more enticing to a new coach than a roster that does not have a QB. Let's say that guy is Shanahan Sr... Look at this roster with G&G in the offensive backfield, a young OL, a veteran defense, etc. You don't need a bunch of high picks and the roster value is greater than those picks.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But anyway as to the picks I don't think it's going to be a hard sell to Kroenke to move future (i.e. next year's draft) picks to finally get the right QB on this roster. If they moved up to get Goff, for example, the Rams will immediately be much more enticing to a new coach than a roster that does not have a QB. Let's say that guy is Shanahan Sr... Look at this roster with G&G in the offensive backfield, a young OL, a veteran defense, etc. You don't need a bunch of high picks and the roster value is greater than those picks.

So Fisher and Snead should trade future picks so their replacements will be more willing to come?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Fisher and Snead should trade future picks so their replacements will be more willing to come?

Hard to tell if you are being facetious here brother. But, again, the Rams will be more valuable to a new coach IF they get a top QB prospect in here, regardless of whether they have a first and second round pick next year. Suppose we can agree to disagree though, no sweat.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see them getting Goff, if he's as good as some are saying. A first this year and multiple high picks next year wouldn't be enough to trade up to #1, in front of three teams likely to be interested in quarterbacks. It would likely be far short of trading to #3 even, at least according to the usual pick trade value charts - and it's a poor policy to believe that the stars will align to allow the Rams to trade up for well below normal value to get a QB.

OTOH, their first and the Philly 2nd this year would be enough to get them with value to spare to #8 in a typical year - a future 3rd would likely allow them to leap frog the 49ers to #6. So Lynch or Wentz most likely, the same guys they would likely get trading future value. But trading a bunch of future picks like some advocate is going to cripple a future draft - for the same QB they could get anyway.

Remember - the same way that some are saying Fisher and Snead should value current picks a lot more than future picks is the way that every other GM feels about it. That's why generally a pick this year is valued like a pick one round higher next year.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I disagree. A policy of trading away a bunch of future picks and hoping that Kroenke does not notice that they sacrificed the future in order to save their jobs is not likely to work.

First - the Rams do need to go at least 8-8 in 2016 or Fisher and Snead are likely gone. But that won't be enough. If they trade up to grab a QB, he needs to have at least a promising rookie season, so there is reason to think the Rams really are moving upwards. And then Kroenke has to believe that Fisher and Snead are the guys to keep them moving upwards. Not having a first and another pick in next year's draft is NOT going to convince Kroenke of that. And it's not like a 2nd round pick this year is likely to make that big of an impact in 2016 anyway - some, but it's rare for a second rounder to be the difference in multiple extra wins, after all.

Fisher and Snead are smart enough to know that in order to be employed and finish the job, they may need to trade that second they got from Philly this year. That is enough to move them up to #8 or so. A mid round pick next year would be an acceptable addition to move up to #6, so long as they don't need to trade their first and second next year. Trading away most of the higher picks next year will mean that the team won't replace free agents long term - and Kroenke is smart enough to know that.

Never base a policy on the belief that your boss is too stupid to notice.

Is Fisher really on the hot seat? Snead too?

I'm not sure about that. I could see a short extension coming soon. Could be one or even two years. ESK could be giving him more time as the Rams will be in a transition year and players will need to know he will be with the Rams for the near future. Resigning players and FAs will be influenced by knowing Fisher will be around.

These are two solid lines of thinking. A third could be, now is the time to get the franchise QB for the long haul. If he is in the draft then it won't matter if they have to give up more of this years picks or more of next years picks. The Rams have to get their man at QB. I don't know what Fisher and Snead are thinking but, they always have a plan with the draft. They seem to have slowed down with free agent reaches but, have still made some moves. I think a QB has to be this off seasons focus when they make their plan.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Fisher really on the hot seat?
Only in our minds.
His seat only heats up if the team doesn't win next year.
I'm sure his goal is to win every year so I don't think Fisher is concerned with anything other than winning