Rams have 'ongoing dialogue' with Littleton, Peters about contract extensions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1063603148.jpg

By: Steve Rebeiro | 5 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams have been handing out contract extensions like candy on Halloween this week. Two surprise contract extensions were handed out over the past few days.

First, the team handed quarterback Jared Goff the most guaranteed money in NFL history. While the timing of the decision was a surprise, the move itself was not. The real shocker came the following morning when the team announced a four year extension with tight end Tyler Higbee worth up to $36 million. It was a major payday for the fourth-year tight end who has less than 700 career receiving yards.

These extensions came less than a year after the team handed out massive extensions to Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, and Brandin Cooks. And it doesn’t seem like the Rams have plans to stop anytime soon. When asked about possible extensions for Cory Littleton and Marcus Peters, McVay acknowledged that talks are ongoing.
“Those are conversations that continue to go on,” McVay said regarding the two defensive players in contract years. “I’m not exactly sure where we’re at with those just because we’re so busy and getting involved in the preparation for Carolina. Those are two guys that I know there is ongoing dialogue with them.”
It’s not surprising that the Rams want to extend the defensive duo. Littleton was the most improved player on the team last season and is the leader of the Rams’ linebacking core. Peters had a rollercoaster of a season last year, but the highs outweighed the lows and there’s no denying his talent. But what would it take to extend either guy?

The team would likely have to pony up a ton of money to extend Peters. Cornerback is one of the most lucrative positions in the NFL. 17 players will make eight figures in 2019, and the position has the fourth largest franchise tag in the NFL. Peters has been a hit or miss player at a position that the Rams have been able to replace in the past. While the Rams would love to keep him and Peters seems like he would love to stay, it’s hard to imagine both sides coming to an agreement they would be happy with. Peters is almost a guarantee to make at least $10 million annually on his next contract. He might as well play it out.

Littleton is a bit more interesting. Inside linebacker is a far less lucrative position, with just seven players making eight figures. It might be a good time for both sides to make a deal. Littleton was a solid player for the Rams last season, but was far from perfect. The Rams likely need him more than anyone else does. If Littleton is willing to take an extension in the $6 million per year range, it would be wise for the Rams to jump on it. It would make sense for everyone involved and give Littleton a nice pay raise.

Then again, a tight end with 60 career receptions was just given top 10 tight end money, so who really knows how much either of these players will make.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well, then. If they do re-sign Littleton, I'll be happy. Don't even care about the dollar amount for one of our best defensive players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The key word is :

extension

TexasRam

Legend
Jesus I thought we were right against the cap

Yeah well extensions as Riverumbbq hath stated.

So kicks in, in later years. And we will have some money in later years.

For example as rough estimates:

2020 cap space is at about 45M by my count. After the Goff/Higs extentions.

But That is with the following key starters off the payroll:

Whitworth (Noteboom)
Blythe
Brockers
Fowler (Obo)
Talib (FA replacement (If follwong Patriots model))

Legatron (extend?)
Peters (extend likely)
Littleton (extend likely)

2021 cap space is about 50-55M by my count.

The following additional players drop off the payroll:

Weddle (Rapp)
JJ3 (extension?)
Ebukam (Patrick)
Matthews
Kupp (extension)
Everett

We are in good shape if the Oline young dudes can cut the mustard, namely Noteboom, Allen, and Edwards.

Injuries can also change the landscape.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We don't know what the 2021 cap space is because there is no CBA in place.

Overthecap has us at 56M with 40 players signed for next year. Not knowing yet if Goff gets any new money next year and what Higbee's cap hit is next year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers has to be feeling very chilly at the moment...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Whitworth (Noteboom)
Blythe
Brockers
Fowler (Obo)

Legatron (extend?)
Peters (extend likely)

Weddle (Rapp)
JJ3 (extension?)
Ebukam (Patrick)
Matthews
Kupp (extension)
Everett

We are in good shape if the Oline young dudes can cut the mustard, namely Noteboom, Allen, and Edwards.

I could see Matthews sticking around for awhile on a home town discount if he wants to keep playing and plays well this year. Possibly even Talib if Peters walks and he plays good this year.

Could also see them dealing a few guys early before their deals expire, like Ebukam, Hill, maybe Reynolds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah man that was my reaction too. I am surprised they are working on Peters. Just seems like the kind of guy who won't be able to play any longer the moment he gets a big paycheck. Hope I'm wrong of course.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just wonder if Long were showing as strongly as Rapp, in camp, if the Peters extension would still be a thing
Good question.(y):unsure:
My position is based off his performance for the entire 2018 season. Wade has said he will try to "protect" (my word) call the defense that keeps Peters from playing assignments that do not favor his skills.......that alone says to me "I will pass on Peters " I thought Wade prefers press coverage?

I would instead aim my efforts to talk Veteran Captain Talib out of retiring & giving the Rams one more season. In addition, concentrate more on having enough $$$$ available for our best young DB to be locked up long term.......that would be JJ III.

Not sure just how well rookie David Long will turn out but here's some good stuff..a 4.0 GPA student, ., but we know presently he should never see the field as the Nickel corner. DL came out early & he is our youngest Ram @ 21 yrs old. Bottom line here DL is currently ...scheme-dependent in press coverages.

Strengths

• strong in press coverage and rarely allows a clean release;;)
  • tight coverage discouraged quarterbacks from testing his side of the field;
  • possesses elite lateral quickness and ability to follow receivers everywhere;:giggle:
  • physical cornerback capable of disrupting routes and timing patterns;(y)
  • compact, efficient footwork with minimal wasted movement.
Weaknesses
  • lacks prototypical height and arm length;
  • struggles to defend bigger receivers;
  • played press almost exclusively, not much film of other coverages;
  • lack of size could lead to a transition to the slot;:palm:
  • didn’t play in the slot and could need time to adapt to the new role.:oops:

Last edited:

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
They might be "working" on Peters' contract to see how he's going to play to begin the season.

oldnotdead

Legend
In regards to Peters I think it comes down to a couple of things. His willingness to stop freelancing. At the end of last season when Talib returned, he actually began to play better, i.e. he quit his blatant freelancing and began to play the scheme. He's still not your traditional lockdown CB but he can play well enough to be considered. Bottom line I think it will come down to how well he plays this season. If he balls out and doesn't demand absolute top dollar I think he will get extended.

That said there are going to be other good CB's but that said, $9M / yr average is the average top end salary these guys are making. I think they need to look at 2 guys, Ronald Darby and Bradley Roby. Roby played for Wade in Denver. He will be 28 next year with Darby being a year younger. Neither guys are INT machines, but both are faster than Peters and most of all both play with more discipline.

Although Peters is still young he must return to his 2015 & 2016 level of play. To do that he must return to playing with discipline. He's got average speed for a boundary CB, but his length gives him a slight edge in play radius compared to be undisciplined. Personally I think his play will improve, but if either Roby or better yet Darby can be had then I'd much rather go with them.

Picking at the bottom of each round will make it harder to draft a good boundary CB who won't need a year to develop. That said if Peters improves this year I can see him getting a one year prove it contract, but I can also see them drafting a CB early next year.

They have Gervase on the PS. I still say convert him this year to CB as he has the speed and agility to make a good boundary CB. He would potentially provide a good option to Peters.

Ram65

Legend

Whitworth (Noteboom)
Blythe
Brockers
Fowler (Obo)

Legatron (extend?)
Peters (extend likely)

Weddle (Rapp)
JJ3 (extension?)
Ebukam (Patrick)
Matthews
Kupp (extension)
Everett

This is 2020 without Higbee's deal. 54 Million overthecap has it at 56Million.
Higbees numbers will come out soon as will Goff's. Makes 2021 hard to adjust but, they are only at 93.5 Million or so on both wthout Goff and Higbee. So they do have needs but, they sill have cap space. I don't know about Peters or even Littleton. McVay is always postitive but, that doesn't mean Rams are really trying to get deals done with both of them. I think the Rams have a tendency to overpay but, they are keeping pieces on the table for the future. They need to hit on draft picks and UDFA to pay for players they want to keep. So far so good.

LOS ANGELES RAMS CAP TOTALS