Rams have had strange seasons before, namely 1982 and 1987 (LAT article)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By GARY KLEINSTAFF WRITER
JUNE 6, 20206 AM
The ritual was performed regularly in 1987, when Rams offensive linemen Jackie Slater and Dennis Harrah shared a ride to the team’s Anaheim facility during the NFL players strike.

After emerging from the car, and before they walked the picket line, Slater and Harrah exchanged a nonverbal pleasantry.

“He’d bend over, and I’d kick him right across his butt,” Slater said, laughing. “And then I would bend over, and he’d kick me right across mine.”

It was the second time in five years the longtime teammates were in the midst of a season that began amid uncertainty and ultimately was shortened because of a strike. The kicks to their backsides were reminders to remain committed to the cause.

Now, 33 years later, Slater, Harrah and other Rams players and coaches who endured NFL seasons impacted by black swan events are watching to see how teams prepare for and deal with a season already affected by the global COVID-19 pandemic.

Team facilities have been closed. Offseason programs are being conducted virtually through Zoom meetings. Games, if they are played, could possibly be staged in stadiums without fans.

How does that affect players?

“It’s apples and oranges,” former Rams quarterback Jim Everett said of comparing strike-shortened seasons to one affected by a pandemic. “But the same factor is, it’s a distraction.”

In 1982, Rams receiver George Farmer was coming off knee surgery that had sidelined him for what would have been his rookie season. Despite the prospect of a looming strike, he said he was “on a quest to prove myself,” and he prepared accordingly.

“The real pros are doing their thing, grinding and figuring I’m not going to let the competition get ahead of me.”

Farmer said he worked out twice a day, and ran 10 miles on the beach every other day. He and other players also did passing drills at Santa Monica College.

“I wanted to be able to run all day and never be tired, to be in better shape than anyone on the team,” he said.

NFL teams played two games before a 57-day strike. The Rams finished the nine-game season with a 2-7 record. Farmer caught 17 passes, two for touchdowns. The performance helped set the stage for 1983, when he caught a career-best 40 passes.

“Some of these guys,” Farmer said of players today, “if they’re on the bubble in any way shape or form, they better be working out and better be doing what they need to do.”

In 1987, the Rams were optimistic they could build upon the season before, when they finished with a 10-6 record and made the playoffs for the fourth season in a row.

But the threat of another work stoppage loomed. The Rams started the season with two defeats before NFL players went on strike. Coach John Robinson and his staff, including first-year special teams coordinator Artie Gigantino, assembled to plot strategy.

“Coach Robinson said you can’t allow a strike that you have absolutely no control over … to stop you from doing the best you can,” Gigantino said. “You can’t sit around and go drink beer at night and @#$%&.”

Robinson eventually instructed Gigantino, a former USC assistant, to help assemble the team of replacement players.

“Was it a great team? Absolutely not,” Gigantino said. “But it was a team that was able to get by.”

Everett was in his second pro season. Slater and Harrah were in their 12th and 13th seasons, respectively. None of them crossed the picket line. But several veteran players joined the replacements, causing a fracture, Everett said.

“It really started pitting the older guys against the younger guys,” Everett said. “It really affected our leadership in an adverse way. And it affected us maybe more than other teams because we were an older team.”

The replacement roster went 1-2. When the strike ended, the regular players returned, and the Rams lost to the Cleveland Browns. A few days later, the Rams traded star running back Eric Dickerson to the Indianapolis Colts. They finished with a 6-9 record and missed the playoffs.

“I look back at it as kind of a wasted year,” Everett said, “and it was unfortunate.”

The 1987 season marked Harrah’s final season. The six-time Pro Bowl player said he lost about $100,000 of his $330,000 salary because of the strike.

“I had to support the union and thought, ‘Hopefully, this will one day benefit me or my teammates and the guys coming in behind me,’ ” Harrah said. “It’s pretty obvious they benefited.

“The $330,000 I was going to make? Now the guys are making $13 million a year for my same position. I think something must have worked!”

Farmer, Everett, Slater and Harrah said that in the wake of COVID-19, players must find ways to stay on point despite the absence of on-field organized team activities. They must be ready for whatever happens before and during what will be among the most unusual NFL seasons in history.

“The real pros are doing their thing, grinding and figuring I’m not going to let the competition get ahead of me,” said Slater, a hall of famer.

Regardless of the environment when the season begins, focused preparation will be the key, Harrah said.

“I don’t care if there’s anybody in the stands or nobody in the stands,” he said. “There’s always someone across from you that wants to kick your ass.”

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
God what I would give to have a Dennis Harrah & Jackie Slater on the offensive line now, when I wore a younger man's clothes, I just always thought the Los Angeles Rams would always have a great Offensive Line, they were truly special.
1591457994867.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The Rams OLs were among the best for two decades. It was amazing.

When I was a kid, they had Bob Brown and Charlie Cowan at OT, Tom Mack and Joe Scibelli at G and Ken Iman at C.

After one year of Harry Schuh for Brown, it was John Williams. Rich Saul for Iman, and Dennis Harrah and Doug France for Scibelli and Cowan.

Doug Smith replaced Saul. Jackie Slater replaced Williams. Irv Pankey replaced France, with big Bill Bain in for a year. Kent Hill for Mack. Tom Newberry for Harrah. Duval Love for Hill when he was part of the Jim Everett trade.

Excluding the guys that were starting for a year (Schuh and Bain) that’s 15 players covering 20 seasons. Most of those guys were at or close to an All Pro level.

The Rams started 9 different O-Linemen last season.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Excluding the guys that were starting for a year (Schuh and Bain) that’s 15 players covering 20 seasons. Most of those guys were at or close to an All Pro level.

The Rams started 9 different O-Linemen last season.

Great post....The Left Tackle Position went from Charlie Cowan, Doug France, Irv Pankey & later on Orlando Pace...Some amazing LT's...As France & Pace were from The Ohio State University. (Had to get a Buckeye plug in there).

Some great Offensive Line Coaches too with Ray Prochaska under Chuck Knox, Dan Radakovich under Ray Malavasi & Hudson Houck under John Robinson.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Great post....The Left Tackle Position went from Charlie Cowan, Doug France, Irv Pankey & later on Orlando Pace...Some amazing LT's...As France & Pace were from The Ohio State University. (Had to get a Buckeye plug in there).

Some great Offensive Line Coaches too with Ray Prochaska under Chuck Knox, Dan Radakovich under Ray Malavasi & Hudson Houck under John Robinson.

I recall when Pankey missed a season due to injury and Bill (bad-body) Bain filled-in and played close to a Pro Bowl level. Bain was on the field a lot during Dickerson's first two monster seasons in 1983 and 1984.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I recall when Pankey missed a season due to injury and Bill (bad-body) Bain filled-in and played close to a Pro Bowl level. Bain was on the field a lot during Dickerson's first two monster seasons in 1983 and 1984.

Yep absolutely correct, the Green Bay Packers cut Bill Bain and the Rams claimed him because he played for Robinson & Houck at USC, so naturally Bain came in and played outstanding and went on to be a super sub and later started many games.
1591471897232.png

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i remember the year we had to win our last five games to make the play offs. it was also the year of the fantom sack agianst san ( sorry assed niner ). anyway we were playing the giants and lawrence taylor was giving us fits untill half then we started pulling newberry from lg to pick up taylor in pass protection. no more trouble from taylor after that. loved that newberry guy.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Bill Bain, the proverbial winner of the UgMo contest during training camp, year after year!

(Let's see who knows what UgMo is!)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
God what I would give to have a Dennis Harrah & Jackie Slater on the offensive line now, when I wore a younger man's clothes, I just always thought the Los Angeles Rams would always have a great Offensive Line, they were truly special.
View attachment 36819

Slater will always be one of my All Time favorite Rams.

I went to a preseason game played in Jacksonville WAY before there was a team called the jaguars. I talked about that game before. It was the falcons vs The Rams. There was a no name young QB who played late in the game for the falcons named Favre... but that's not what I remember most about that game.

Late in the game... there was almost nobody in the stands. I was able to go right up to the front row behind the Ram bench. Lots of the players "big-timed" me and I was lucky to even get a head nod from them... but NOT Jackie Slater. That dude was very humble and thankful to see someone all the way over on the opposite coast who was obviously a huge fan of his. He came right up to me and had a real conversation with me. It was a preseason game and he wasn't going to go back on the field... so I'm sure this was just good timing for me. But you can tell when someone gives you respect and clearly listens to what you have to say. We talked for a good five minutes... he wanted to know how in the world I was a Ram Fan living on the wrong coast. LOL. That picture reminded me of how he engaged me at that game.

What a great guy. I'm proud that he played for my team.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Slater will always be one of my All Time favorite Rams.

What a great guy. I'm proud that he played for my team.

That's a great story and for some reason I have always been lucky when it's come to interacting with players in all sporting events I have been to even baseball, but I have never conversed with someone on the level of Jackie Slater.

As to the Rams over the years I had conversations with Jeff Kemp, Jim Collins, Bern Brostek & Adam Archuleta.....With Archuleta, it was a long conversation as he was not playing because of his wrist and I asked him about how he was feeling and we conversed for like a half hour...I actually had to tell him, well, I have to get to my seat.

It was when they were in St. Louis and you can stand outside the temporary barricade they set up as the players would enter the dome. After the interaction with Adam, many people kept coming up to me and asking who I was, if I was an agent or family member of his. My wife was laughing so hard, she's like so many fans want to interact and you don't even try and end up talking to him for over 30 minutes and that is usually because I don't converse about their current play, I talk to them about their past, baseball (minor leagues, being traded) with Archuleta, it was about his injury and then how much I enjoyed his story at the combine and his play at Arizona State...Things like that.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That's a great story and for some reason I have always been lucky when it's come to interacting with players in all sporting events I have been to even baseball, but I have never conversed with someone on the level of Jackie Slater.

As to the Rams over the years I had conversations with Jeff Kemp, Jim Collins, Bern Brostek & Adam Archuleta.....With Archuleta, it was a long conversation as he was not playing because of his wrist and I asked him about how he was feeling and we conversed for like a half hour...I actually had to tell him, well, I have to get to my seat.

It was when they were in St. Louis and you can stand outside the temporary barricade they set up as the players would enter the dome. After the interaction with Adam, many people kept coming up to me and asking who I was, if I was an agent or family member of his. My wife was laughing so hard, she's like so many fans want to interact and you don't even try and end up talking to him for over 30 minutes and that is usually because I don't converse about their current play, I talk to them about their past, baseball (minor leagues, being traded) with Archuleta, it was about his injury and then how much I enjoyed his story at the combine and his play at Arizona State...Things like that.

I'm sure there are a number of different factors that come into play when these players decide to engage with fanatics. Good timing, the topic, maybe the player's mood at the time... it could be a lot of other things too.

I'll give you an example...

At that same game in Jax... Kevin Greene was still played for us. He was standing closer to me than any other Ram player when I got down to the 1st row. That dude completely big-timed me and all other fans. Not even a head nod or simple wave. Keep in mind too... his playing time was definitely over for that game too like Slater's. He wasn't caught up in the game either at this point... he wasn't even watching what was going on out on the field. He wouldn't even acknowledge little kids. Hahahahahahaaaaa

I got one over on him though after the game. I had a plan. I went out to the area where the players get on the bus. There weren't very many fans out there at all. Maybe 20 max. It was a big open area and a pretty good walk for the players to get to the buses. I saw Greene big-timing all the fans again. So,,, I sent my girlfriend up near the bus by herself and told her to try and get his attention. Guess what...... he bee-lined right up to her and started talking to her immediately asking her if she was a fan etc. Really engaging her up close and personal. She asked him if he would autograph the program. He said hell yeah! Then he asked her for her name... that's when she told him... "please sign it to by boyfriend George... he loves the Rams... I don't care about football at all". When she did this... she pointed over to me. I was standing a good distance away. He could clearly see my face though when he looked over at me and saw me giving him a big wink and smiling like I just got him good. He pointed at me and smiled back with a laugh. He signed the program... but he didn't write my name on it. LOL. Then, he went straight to the bus and got on without speaking to another person.

These guys are real humans just like everyone else. They are all motivated differently. It's normal. Some of these guys are just super great human beings though. Big-timing is not something that's in them. Slater really listened to me and was genuinely interested... you can tell the difference. I don't blame any of them since they get bombarded by fans all the time. They all have something that might sway them though LOL. Some of these guys are just special people in addition to being special players.

I had another awesome experience in Jax with my oldest son and a certain current players son and daughter. He wears #99. Their mother was there too. I've told that one before too. Timing was great for me then too. Not to mention that his kids took a real liking to me during the game and happened to be sitting directly behind us. AD and their mother were super nice to us after the game. I'm sure it didn't hurt that I was holding his boy in my arms when he looked up at us. LOL.

Anyway... games in Jax have been good to me with experiences with players. You just never know when things like that are gonna happen.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Definitely seemed like an inviolable Ram thing back then....