Rams got the best player in 2008?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Here the top 5: Jake Long, Chris Long, Darren McFadden, Matt Ryan, Glenn Dorsey.

McFadden is always hurt and Dorsey has never been the next Warren Sapp.

Now here's this: <a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/jake-long-mum-on-chances-of-staying-in-miami/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -in-miami/</a>

It basically says Jake Long might not be in Miami, but the more important thing is how his play is meh.

So that leaves Matt Ryan and Chris Long. I'm giving Matt the edge b/c he's a QB (and how he has amazing players around him), but you can say Chris was the best player in that top 5 considering his production, health, leadership, and impact now and years to come. That's cool stuff right there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Angry Ram said:
Here the top 5: Jake Long, Chris Long, Darren McFadden, Matt Ryan, Glenn Dorsey.

McFadden is always hurt and Dorsey has never been the next Warren Sapp.

Now here's this: <a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/jake-long-mum-on-chances-of-staying-in-miami/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -in-miami/</a>

It basically says Jake Long might not be in Miami, but the more important thing is how his play is meh.

So that leaves Matt Ryan and Chris Long. I'm giving Matt the edge b/c he's a QB (and how he has amazing players around him), but you can say Chris was the best player in that top 5 considering his production, health, leadership, and impact now and years to come. That's cool stuff right there.

Fluid on going situation but Ryan made bigger and faster contributions early but after five seasons I would not take any other of those five but Chris!

Yes IMO best pick of 2008 is DE Chris Long. Best is yet to come!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ive got to give the edge to Matt Ryan.

But, at the time, he wasn't on our radar. I wasn't a huge Ryan fan and had some concerns. I was wrong.

Chris has been a healthy / solid to great player. I'd take that every time from a first rounder.

jap

Legend
Ryan walked onto a pro team with an OL, a top level OL coach (our own Coach Bou), a running game, and receivers. How could he NOT succeed?

I wanna see Sam I Am in a similar scenario next season.

And, yes, Chris is already a marque player who has grown in leaps and bounds every single year he has been in this league.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Matt Ryan is good, I don't deny that. He's also a good player on a very good offense. And he has a tendency to... Lets say make poor decisions with playoff games on the line for whatever reason. He seems to have leveled out as well. Which isn't bad given how he plays.

Chris long is also good. He was good on a very weak defense and is good on a strong defense. He's always good and he's always getting better.

It's hard to say, but I can definitely see a case made for Long.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well myself I'd take Ryan and then someone else with the pick used for Bradford. But something tells me the Rams wouldn't have been drafting #1 overall with Ryan at QB in 08 and 09. :what:

Ryan is better than Bradford, and he is a better QB than Long is a DE. Not taking anything away from Long.....but Ryan is a top flight QB.

Ryan>Long + Bradford

At least so far.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Do you remember all of those Chris Long is a bust threads?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
Do you remember all of those Chris Long is a bust threads?
Now where would you have seen those posts? Hmmm?

Cough (pd) Cough.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:
Well myself I'd take Ryan and then someone else with the pick used for Bradford. But something tells me the Rams wouldn't have been drafting #1 overall with Ryan at QB in 08 and 09. :what:

Ryan is better than Bradford, and he is a better QB than Long is a DE. Not taking anything away from Long.....but Ryan is a top flight QB.

Ryan>Long + Bradford

At least so far.

Well alot of other factors went into Ryan being better than Sam...mostly stability.

But I disagree entirely on Ryan > Long + Bradford.

Falcons need a pass rush bad.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
LesBaker said:

Ryan>Long + Bradford

At least so far.

Well alot of other factors went into Ryan being better than Sam...mostly stability.

Let me punctuate that with a refresher course on who was HC at the time ... Linehan. Followed by a HC change and the dumping of a lot of vets after '08. We've already seen with Bradford what happens when a QB doesn't have weapons. Taking Ryan at that time would have been real bad for Ryan.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:

Ryan>Long + Bradford

At least so far.
You're trippin'. :neh:

Rams absolutely would have been drafting #1 overall with Ryan at QB in 08 and 09. Not taking anything away from Matty Ice, but he wouldn't have held up behind those O-lines, and he wouldn't have made chicken salad out of those receivers either. Plunk ANY QB into those situations, and they're gonna struggle. Donnie Avery does not equal Julio Jones, and Keenan Burton does not equal Roddy White. Mayyyybe the Rams do a little better in 2008 with Matty, but not a whole lot better. In 2009, he's dead anyway. So it doesn't matter.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Quixote said:
Angry Ram said:
LesBaker said:

Ryan>Long + Bradford

At least so far.

Let me punctuate that with a refresher course on who was HC at the time ... Linehan. Followed by a HC change and the dumping of a lot of vets after '08. We've already seen with Bradford what happens when a QB doesn't have weapons. Taking Ryan at that time would have been real bad for Ryan.

Word. Actually I think Atlanta had a horrible situation w/ Vick and Patereno and all that garbage. But they drafted him and Sam Baker and never looked back.