Rams go into bye hoping the worst is behind them

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams go into bye hoping the worst is behind them
Lindsey ThiryESPN

"We got eight more to show everybody what we're about," left tackle Andrew Whitworth told his Los Angeles Rams teammates, before breaking down a postgame locker room celebration in London. "Put it in your damn mind. Eight straight."

The Rams have not missed the playoffs since Sean McVay took over as coach in 2017, but are 5-3 through the first half of the season and find themselves in an unfamiliar spot, as they sit in third place in the NFC West behind the San Francisco 49ers (7-0) and Seattle Seahawks (6-2).
Eight straight wins could be necessary for the Rams to clinch a third consecutive division title or to even earn a playoff berth and avoid the proverbial Super Bowl hangover season."We're 5-3," McVay said, after finishing a 10-day road trip with a 24-10 win over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. "We are what our record says we are."

The Rams opened the season with three consecutive wins before suffering their first three-game losing streak under McVay, which included division losses to the Seahawks and 49ers. They bounced back with back-to-back victories over the Bengals and Atlanta Falcons, who are a combined 1-15."It's good to finish off with two wins," running back Todd Gurley said. "Just build the momentum slowly."Said quarterback Jared Goff: "Starting to catch our rhythm."Coming off a disappointing Super Bowl appearance, the Rams have played well, at times, but haven't performed consistently on offense, defense and even the once unflappable special teams.

McVay has said that the offense remains in search of an identity, which has been somewhat puzzling given the unit's remarkable success the last two seasons. However, through eight games, it's apparent the game plan has changed in 2019.The Rams have 526 total plays from scrimmage, the second most in the NFL behind the New England Patriots. The Rams have attempted the third-highest number of passes at 315, just behind the Bengals and Falcons, while only handing the ball off 199 times, which ranks 14th for most carries in the NFL.Goff, who signed a four-year, $110 million extension before the season, has become the focal point, throwing for 2,367 yards and 11 touchdowns with seven interceptions, as McVay has leaned heavily on the passing game.

Gurley, who last season rushed for 1,251 yards and scored a league-high 21 touchdowns, has faded into the background along with the run game. Gurley, who was sidelined in Week 7 because of a thigh contusion, has rushed for 355 yards and has scored seven touchdowns.Before Sunday's win over the Bengals, McVay said the Rams needed to "be more efficient in the run game, snap in and snap out," but then Gurley rushed for only 44 yards and a touchdown against the worst rushing defense in the league. He sat on the sideline during the fourth quarter as rookie Darrell Henderson remained on the field.McVay offered the same explanation that he has through the first half of the season.

"It just kind of worked out that way," he said. "... I always say it's the flow of the game and that was really what it ended up being."On defense, a recent shift in personnel could have coordinator Wade Phillips' unit trending upward in the second half of the season.The defense endured losses when outside linebacker Clay Matthews suffered a broken jaw, which has sidelined him the last three games, and cornerback Aqib Talib and safety John Johnson were placed on injured reserve.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If they don't get the OL to start run blocking and get the running game going they aren't going to the playoffs.

Better start throwing different boddies out there on the OL to see if any of them can improve on the crappy blocking they've shown so far. Hav and Blythe have struggled and running to the right side of the OL is impossible.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Getting Ramsey was an upgrade. Getting Mathews back will be an upgrade. Seeing Obo have success is an upgrade. Hopefully Edwards performance in the last 2 games is a upgrade not sure on this one.
Rapp and Christian handling the back end feels like we can survive without JJ until he comes back. Same hopefully can be said with Hill and Williams holding down the fort until Talib returns and with Talib up for possible trade it signals the Rams are good with Williams, Hill and Long.

Prognosis - Defense should be better to a degree. Still not a Wade fan he needs to blitz more and stress opposing offenses more instead of trying to rush 4 all the time.

On Offense the TEs seem better. The WRs are fine not better not worse overall because we have added Reynolds and TEs in the game plan. The RBs have diminished somewhat from last year.

The oline must show up better period if the second half will be successful our run game needs to improve. I believe Goff does not trust his oline and the last 2 games are bad examples neither have a significant rush unlike SF. If we trade for a major piece on the oline I can see it changing for the better. We need to fix the online period.

Prognosis - The Offense has had 8 weeks to gel. We are not better not are we worse. I discount the last 2 games.

Overall Prognosis - Rams are better on defense because the dline has got a couple of emerging talents on them, Mathews is coming back and we added Ramsey. Offense will come down to the line if it can hold up and start to excel in the run game and hold up when Goff throws we will have a chance to make the playoffs but this year will be a dogfight due to missing the kick in Seattle.

We have to contend with Philly (maybe), definitely Seattle, Minnesota for 2 wildcard slots. This is going to be tough. All three have a bunch of tough games and our schedule is a little easier. To make the playoffs I think to ensure a wildcard spot we can only lose one game in the next 8 which is a tall order.

RamWoodie

Legend
My concern is McVay. I don't really think he's adjusting offensively as well as he could.

The Rams are use to passing middle to deep routes getting big chunks of yardage. Defenses are on to that...and the scheme for that.

The answer is to shorten up routes and...as he has been...use the TEs more in the offense. He has very good receivers who can get YAC yards...USE THEM for that in the shorter routes.

Next...stop running Gurley and Henderson straight ahead and run them wide where they can find the holes and exploit the defense.

Goff is definitely doing better moving the pocket...BUT...when he clearly sees running lanes HE NEEDS TO TAKE OFF!!! I've heard some say he's not mobile and that's a misnomer. Goff is not a "running" QB...but he can run...and the more he does it...the more strain on the defense! More rollout pass plays would help too.

This is just stuff I see.. Will it work? I don't know...but you have to try. Early on McVay seemed stubborn to changing his offensive approach...but he's definitely changed some things up and lately it seems he and Goff are on the same page since the SF game. That game was the first time it seemed he and Goff were at odds with playcalls.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Maybe the Rams are going to flip the script after the bye week. 1st half of the season, pass happy. 2nd half Run heavy. They've been waiting for November/December football to unleash Gurley (and he hasn't been happy about it). Those are the months that real teams step it up. Just a theory.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That Tampa bay game, ugh.

I hope that one doesn't come back to bite the rams in the arse later this season.

dang

Legend
I sure wish JJ was still available but I think the moves the Rams made on defense could turn them from mediocre to very good. The offense on the other hand is still a big question mark. They need to find their identity real quick or they won’t get their ticket punched for the big dance.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One thing you can see the Rams are trying to fix; the flow of the offense

We have struggled with this more in 2019. We seem to get in ruts. Struggle more than ideal to get out.

Things may or may not be working... it “appears” the other team makes a correction... and we “keep doing the same things” and lose possessions making our own counter.

At least that’s how I’d describe what appears to be happening at times. It’s way more complicated than that. But that’s the optics.

So, I get why people want some shorter pass plays/dumps. That can be used while figuring out how to attack deeper again. Same with going up tempo, no huddle.

Glad we have a smart coach.