Rams get in the free agent game, sign Carrington/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams get in the free agent game, sign Carrington
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3d0ccc0a-3f48-5921-af04-7e998c885622.html

ORLANDO, FLA. • Since the start of free agency two weeks ago, 30 NFL teams have combined to sign 112 unrestricted free agents. A 31st team, Green Bay, signed Julius Peppers after Chicago released the eight-time Pro Bowler.

The Rams finally got into the act Tuesday, becoming the last NFL team to sign a player from another team during the free agency period. That player is defensive lineman Alex Carrington, who had been a backup for most of his four seasons with the Buffalo Bills. He agreed to a one-year deal with the Rams.

At 6-5, 301, Carrington provides depth on the interior behind starting tackles Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford. A third-round draft pick out of Arkansas State in 2010, Carrington has appeared in 44 games with nine starts for the Bills. He has four career sacks.

Carrington, 26, opened the 2013 season as a starter but appeared in only three games because of a quadriceps injury. Cleveland, Oakland and Pittsburgh were among other teams to show interest.

Cleveland was considered a leading contender because the Browns’ new head coach — Mike Pettine — was Buffalo’s defensive coordinator last season.

“He was having a good year, too, and the injury was unfortunate,” Pettine said at the NFL owners’ meetings.

Pettine made his comments Tuesday morning, several hours before Carrington agreed with the Rams.

“He’s at a certain point in his rehab,” Pettine said. “He’s working his way back. ... He’s an excellent technician, and he’s a solid pass-rusher especially from inside at the (3-technique). He hasn’t had a lot of sack production, but sometimes that can be a little misleading.

“You have a guy that doesn’t get production, but he causes production. I think he’s flushed quarterbacks or forced them to step up into other guys, but he’s a guy that I think is a solid player.”

Williams on Wilson

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was Buffalo’s head coach of for three seasons (2001-2003) working for owner Ralph Wilson. Williams issued a statement Tuesday following Wilson’s death:

“I join the entire football community in mourning the loss of a truly great man in Ralph Wilson. I’m forever grateful to Mr. Wilson for giving me the opportunity to be a head coach in the National Football League. As a coach, Mr. Wilson was everything you could ask for in an owner.

“He was a very passionate football fan. He was progressive in his thoughts, he loved his players, and he provided every resource you could ask for. It’s hard to imagine where our game and our league might be today were it not for his role in creating and more importantly sustaining the American Football League. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Wilson family at this difficult time.”

Rules adopted

Most of the votes on rule or bylaw proposals take place today, but league owners passed two measures Tuesday.

One allows game officials to consult with the league officiating department in New York on replay reviews. The other extends protection on rollup blocks to the side of the opposing player.

And although it’s unclear if there was an actual vote on the subject, “dunking” the football over the crossbars has been banned and will result in a penalty. The NFL’s vice president of officiating, Dean Blandino, made the announcement Tuesday in a radio interview on “The Dan Patrick Show.”