Rams Free Agent Signings 2012 - present

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, there's a lot of Cook bashing here lately... Kenny Britt's getting some "love"... it made me wonder.

Who have the Rams acquired since 2012:
* Finnegan (acquired from TN) retired
* Langford (MIA) - with Indy
* Barksdale (OAK) - with SD
* Clemens (NYJ_ - with SD)
* Dunbar (NO) - back with Rams
* Wells (GB) - retired
* Cook (TN)
* Long (MIA) - retired
* Smith (HOU) - retired
* Witherspoon (TN) - retired
* Britt (TN)
* Hill (DET) - retired
* Joseph (TB) - retired
* Barron (TB)
* Carrington (BUF) back twith BUF
* Hayes (TN)
* Person (SEA) - with ATL
Ayers (NE - formerly TN)
Fairley (DET)

I may have missed one or two or gotten one or two things wrong... but, when I looked back on all these, two things seemed apparent (to me, anyway)
1] A lot of the free agent pick ups were from Tennessee
2] None of the acquisitions have really distinguished themselves as really being a great pick up. A lot of "kinda OK" guys.

I'm not necessarily a fan of going too deep into free agency... but I'd hope we could have a better showing that what's above?

Just thinkin' out loud.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher may have familiarity bias.
And that's not necessarily a bad thing if the players are good and you weren't out of football two years.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
We knew that was coming, Fisher butt heads with Bud Adams based on being able to have his guys vs Bud's guys. Fisher is going to bring his guy through hell and high water, even if they're not good.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So, there's a lot of Cook bashing here lately... Kenny Britt's getting some "love"... it made me wonder.

Who have the Rams acquired since 2012:
* Finnegan (acquired from TN) retired
* Langford (MIA) - with Indy
* Barksdale (OAK) - with SD
* Clemens (NYJ_ - with SD)
* Dunbar (NO) - back with Rams
* Wells (GB) - retired
* Cook (TN)
* Long (MIA) - retired
* Smith (HOU) - retired
* Witherspoon (TN) - retired
* Britt (TN)
* Hill (DET) - retired
* Joseph (TB) - retired
* Barron (TB)
* Carrington (BUF) back twith BUF
* Hayes (TN)
* Person (SEA) - with ATL
Ayers (NE - formerly TN)
Fairley (DET)

I may have missed one or two or gotten one or two things wrong... but, when I looked back on all these, two things seemed apparent (to me, anyway)
1] A lot of the free agent pick ups were from Tennessee
2] None of the acquisitions have really distinguished themselves as really being a great pick up. A lot of "kinda OK" guys.

I'm not necessarily a fan of going too deep into free agency... but I'd hope we could have a better showing that what's above?

Just thinkin' out loud.

Barron was a trade. Long is with the Falcons.

Speaking of free agency, I'm still waiting on Fairley to do something.

MrMotes

Starter
It doesn't make a lot of sense to look at FA when talking about a team built through the draft.

Just look at all the studs we have on defense:

Brockers, Donald, Ogletree, JJ, Trumaine, McDonald, all drafted in the last 3 drafts. Quinn, Laurinitis, Long, draft picks. McCleod, Gaines, virtually the entire defense is home grown. And they're very good.

On offense we have Gurley, pretty much our entire Oline, Tavon, Quick, Stedman, again all drafted in the last 3 years.

I wonder if any other team has a higher percentage of draft picks starting than we do?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It doesn't make a lot of sense to look at FA when talking about a team built through the draft.

Brockers, Donald, Ogletree, JJ, Trumaine, McDonald, all drafted in the last 3 drafts. Quinn, Laurinitis, Long, draft picks. McCleod, Gaines, virtually the entire defense is home grown. And they're very good.

On offense we have Gurley, pretty much our entire Oline, Tavon, Quick, Stedman, again all drafted in the last 3 years.

I wonder if any other team has a higher percentage of draft picks starting than we do?

The Packers. They sign maybe 1-2 guys a year. Their whole team is home grown.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/home-grown-b99354285z1-275853711.html

An example from last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ex...ft-picks-homegrown-packers-vs-foreigner-colts

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

o_O????Er, what???? o_O

Should we just write off the free agency acquisitions because the team was primarily built through the draft?

Now, that doesn't makes sense. Every move (free agency and draft) counts.

As far as tying success to "starting", I don't necessarily buy into that.

A lot of draft picks started under Linehan and Spagnuolo. Was that such a good thing? If your draft picks are starting and you are getting into the playoffs, then - yes - that means something.

Just starting draft picks doesn't mean much of anything, really - unless that results in success.
Tampa Bay probably starts a lot of their draft picks.

MrMotes

Starter

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Snead has said publicly, (and I assume Fish concurs), that their approach was to concentrate on making one side great, which they've done.
You can agree or disagree with the approach, but they have stayed the course.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

1 good year and out.

Really underrated. People bashed him b/c of his contract. He was a good player here and still a good one in Indy.

Barksdale

For a nobody, the guy was at the very least dependable at what he did.

Backup QB not expected to be a full time starter. He did decent.

Like Cortland Finnegan.

I didn't think he was that bad until 2014. Injuries really got him. He was a fine player in GB w/o injuries.

Good player, he's exactly what people said he was when he signed here.

Good player as well, sucks about injuries.

??? Shelley Smith? Meh.

Witherspoon

Meh.

He's been pretty good for us.

Again, like KC he wasn't expected to be a full time starter.

Depth guy not expcted to start either.

Carrington

Filler signing.

Underrated SOB.

Filler signing.

TBD

TBD

So aside from the filler signings, overall the FAs weren't bad they just didnt live up to the hype that comes with the contract. Which is why I've always said FA is beyond overrated as the players rarely play up to their contract.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Snead has said publicly, (and I assume Fish concurs), that their approach was to concentrate on making one side great, which they've done.
You can agree or disagree with the approach, but they have stayed the course.

I heard that interview too.

FRO

Legend
You don't get your money's worth in free agency. The best bet is to get low risk high reward types on one year prove it deals and hope they prove it. None of our big free agent signings have made a lasting big impact for us. Most have been underwhelming.