Rams free agency review: More departures than arrivals this time around

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/04/...re-departures-than-arrivals-this-time-around/

Rams free agency review: More departures than arrivals this time around

Some of the losses will be felt, but there could be no repeat of last year's spending spree
By Ryan Kartje | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: April 10, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Compared to their last few offseasons, in which the Rams completely revamped their franchise from top to bottom, Les Snead understands this offseason might seem a bit anti-climactic. There were no blockbuster trades or big free-agent swings. By the Rams’ recent standards, the last few months have been especially quiet.

“But I like to say that’s a good thing,” the Rams general manager assured reporters last month, “because all those things have kind of put us in a situation where we’ve got this foundation built and can move forward from here.”

That foundation, which carried the Rams took the Super Bowl a year ago, has taken a bit of a hit this offseason. Most notably along the offensive line, as both Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan will play elsewhere next season. But without much cap flexibility following last year’s extension spree, the Rams didn’t have much of a choice. There wasn’t exactly room for them to go “all-in” again.

Instead, last year’s Super Bowl runner-ups settled for a rational, conservative approach in free agency, adding a handful of veterans on below-market deals, while relying on young rotation players to fill vacant roles.It might not have made for the sexiest offseason strategy. But with their eyes on the Super Bowl again, it could wind up being the smartest one.

DEPARTURES

Rodger Saffold, OG. Signed with Titans for 4 years, $44 million.:cry:
C.J. Anderson, RB. Signed with Lions for 1 year, $1.5 million
Lamarcus Joyner, S. Signed with Raiders for 4 years, $42 million
Mark Barron, ILB. Signed with Steelers for 2 years, $12 million
Sean Mannion, QB. Signed with Vikings for 1 year, $900,000
John Sullivan, C. Rams declined option, remains unsigned

Analysis: One of the NFL’s most consistent offensive lines now faces the prospect of replacing two key veteran starters on the interior with two unproven, inexperienced linemen. How the Rams weather that turnover could determine how far the offense goes in 2019. Anderson’s exit, too, could affect the Rams consistency on that end – especially if Todd Gurley’s knee falters. Defensively, Joyner and Barron were both expected to leave, but while Joyner’s spot has been filled, Barron’s inside linebacker spot remains perhaps the defense’s most glaring hole.

ARRIVALS
Eric Weddle, S Height: 5-foot-11 | Weight: 195 Contract status: Signed through 2020
Acquired: March 8 The price: $10.5 million, $1 million signing bonus, $6.252 million guaranteed

Analysis: Weddle may be 34 years old, entering his 13th NFL season, but the veteran safety hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down yet. He went to the Pro Bowl in each of his past three seasons in Baltimore, and in Los Angeles, Weddle steps into a perfect scheme fit, next to ascending star safety John Johnson. His leadership in the locker room should also be invaluable; general manager Les Snead compared Weddle’s signing to that of left tackle Andrew Whitworth on offense. Considering how inflated the safety market became after his signing, Weddle’s deal is the Rams’ biggest steal of the offseason.

Clay Matthews, EDGE

Height: 6-foot-3 | Weight: 255 Contract status: Signed through 2020
Acquired: March 19,The price: $9.25 million, $5.5 million guaranteed

Analysis: Matthews is no longer the terrorizing sack artist he once was in Green Bay, when he made six Pro Bowls in seven seasons to start his career. But he’s still an effective player in space, who can disrupt plays on occasion. The Rams will try to take advantage of his versatility, moving him inside and outside, depending on the situation. Paired with Dante Fowler, it’s feasible that Matthews could rediscover some of his pass-rushing prowess.

Blake Bortles, QB Height: 6-foot-5 | Weight: 236
Contract status: Signed through 2019
Acquired: March 18 The price: $1 million, fully guaranteed

Analysis: It wasn’t all that long ago that Bortles was drafted No. 3 overall and seen as a future franchise signal caller. His futility over five seasons in Jacksonville didn’t do much to inspire confidence. But for the Rams, at his minuscule asking price, the risk far outweighs the reward. Bortles is far more proven than previous backup Sean Mannion, having just led the Jaguars to the AFC championship following the 2017 season. Maybe Sean McVay is the one to unlock his full potential.

STAYING PUT
Dante Fowler, EDGE. Re-signed on 1-year, $12 million deal.
Malcolm Brown, RB. Offer sheet from Lions matched, signed 2-year, $3.3 million deal.

Analysis: Bringing back Fowler on a one-year, prove-it deal was a no-brainer given the promise he flashed at the end of last season. If he can make the leap, Fowler has the potential to rack up double-digit sacks in the Rams defense. If he doesn’t, the Rams will simply move on next season. The Rams chose not to let Brown leave for Detroit over bringing back C.J. Anderson, which means they foresee him stepping into a much larger role in 2019. He had his most efficient campaign yet last season before an injury ended things prematurely.

STILL UNDECIDED
Ndamukong Suh, DT
Sam Shields, CB
Dominique Easley, DL/EDGE
Ramik Wilson, ILB
Bryce Hager, ILB
Ethan Westbrooks, DL

Analysis: For financial reasons, the Rams hopes of retaining Ndamukong Suh are basically nil. But the fact that he’s still on the market, without even a hint of buzz about where he could play next, is curious. The other four unrestricted free agents here could wind up with the team eventually. Both Wilson and Hager have proven to be useful rotation linebackers and special teams players, while Shields stepped in at key moments a year ago, as well. Westbrooks, who took a step back in 2018 and Easley, who has dealt with injuries for years, are likely on their way elsewhere.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pretty happy with how things went down. Writing was on the wall with Suh, Saffold, Joyner, etc.

Saffold was the big loss, and they feel good with the plan to replace him, it's time to finish up that change over to the ZBS so it will prove to be a shrewd move IMO.

Suh & Joyner will be replaced with some young guns who give us more consistency through the season, as they push for that absolutely critical home field advantage in the NFC.

LB group is stronger and better than last year due to addition of Matthews. S room was upgraded in Wettle over Joyner.

Now my hope is that Snead gets an impact player with the first pick, and if one's not there move down and add some value with additional options.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
We couldn't afford 1.5 mil for CJ Anderson?

Flint

Pro Bowler

Maybe, but I think it has as much to do with Brown as anything else. I think the FO believes Brown is just as capable plus Brown is very good on teams, which CJ doesn’t do. They could’ve been in deep shit last year with TG and Brown’s injuries, finding CJ was genius but Brown is more versatile, and they already paid him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe, but I think it has as much to do with Brown as anything else. I think the FO believes Brown is just as capable plus Brown is very good on teams, which CJ doesn’t do. They could’ve been in deep crap last year with TG and Brown’s injuries, finding CJ was genius but Brown is more versatile, and they already paid him.

Yeah and as much as I have always been in Brown's corner I think CJ is a better player. What CJ doesn't have is pass catching ability, so I have to think they prioritized that over the power run addition. So I understand it, but I think going with Brown was a mistake.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
And nobody else outbid for him, either?

Really surprising to me, given CJ’s monster games vs AZ, SF, and DAL, that CJ couldn’t get better than 1.5 M for one year.

CJ is my favorite “only played half a season or less” Ram of all time.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah and as much as I have always been in Brown's corner I think CJ is a better player. What CJ doesn't have is pass catching ability, so I have to think they prioritized that over the power run addition. So I understand it, but I think going with Brown was a mistake.

I think Anderson is better too. I don't think Anderson wanted to play for the Rams. He wanted a team that would give him more carries. I suspect he made a mistake with the Lions - he likely would have been paid more with the Rams, and would have had about as many carries, but the Rams couldn't wait on him making a decision.

So the Rams made the decision they had to - get the guy they knew would play for them. FWIW, the way Brown's contract is structured, he'll be really cheap in 2020.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Anderson is better too. I don't think Anderson wanted to play for the Rams. He wanted a team that would give him more carries. I suspect he made a mistake with the Lions

Yeah I think that is possible. I suspect he had his agent advertise to teams that he wanted "his team" like Gurley's got, just like he alluded to in that tweet. But why he didn't circle back with the Rams when the market became clear yeah you might be right.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CJ was just about unstoppable in his replacement of TGII. CJ's safe controlled big runs up the middle sure let McVay relax & throw when he got bored, but MB offers more options & has better overall skills in the passing game.

McVay & MB had been together for two seasons that must have developed a relationship & comfortability with Malcolm. MB had much less mileage on his tires & IMO not even broke in yet. After four NFL season MB only has 128 attempts for 514 yds/ 18 reception for 149 yds. I believe he will double that this season alone.

MB has some long-range speed for an RB he did run a 100-meter dash in 11.54 seconds. MB is just beginning to peak & has the potential to play a much bigger role in this offense in 2019. McVay has MB for two seasons to knock the tire tits off the edges.