Rams Flashback Spotlight: DE Coy Bacon, Jackson State University

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams Flashback Spotlight: DE Coy Bacon, Jackson State University
June 5, 2018 | By:Jake Ellenbogen
227364_bfacb4a411e844bca8cf25b85bdd1b88~mv2.webp

I decided to start an on-going series flashing back to past Rams history (similar to what we are doing with the Throwback Thursday episode of The Downtown Rams Podcast every Thursday). In this series, I will try and bring these former Rams to light, show off what they did for the horns and their overall career.

Leandor McCoy (Coy) Bacon was undrafted out of Jackson State and spent his rookie year on the Dallas Cowboys practice squad (taxi squad). Of course, that wasn't before he was named All-Star of the Continental Football League for the Charleston Rockets in 1966. In 1968, the Cowboys traded Bacon to the Los Angeles Rams for a fifth-round pick. The Rams traded for him halfway through the season and used him as depth behind the Fearsome Foursome squad that dominated the NFL. Bacon ended up playing in seven games that season for the Rams in a season that saw them finish 10-3-1 and still not make the playoffs due to a close loss on the last game of the year to Don Shula's Baltimore Colts.

The next year when starter Roger Brown went down with an injury, Bacon stepped right in for him at defensive tackle and made his presence known. Bacon finished the season with 13 starts on the year. This season, the Rams had improved and finished the year at 11-3 under George Allen and went to the playoffs. Unfortunately, the Rams fell short in the divisional game against the Minnesota Vikings 23-20 and found themselves eliminated from the playoffs in a season that could have seen them going to the championship.

In 1970, member of the Fearsome Foursome Lamar Lundy had retired and now Coy Bacon was an official starter. Bacon had officially moved to the defensive end spot in which he was about to showcase his incredible overlooked ability. There was a reason the Rams traded away a fifth-round pick for an undrafted rookie free agent. In this season, Bacon racked up an unofficial total of 20 sacks and returned a fumble for a touchdown, he started all 14 games but unfortunately, the 9-4-1 Rams missed the playoffs.

The 29-year old Bacon continued his dominance in 1971 but was finally recognized for it after notching his first honors to the All-Pro Second-team. Bacon had an unofficial total of 21 sacks in his second season starting as a defensive end. The franchise named Bacon the defensive player of the year for their team. Unfortunately, it was a season that ended in yet another miss of the postseason after the Rams finished 8-5-1. When the league expanded to 26 teams it really took a toll on the Rams playoff chances as they were good but unless they won the division they weren't good enough.

Once again Bacon was named the Rams defensive player of the year but unfortunately, it once again was a season that ended in defeat. This time though, the Rams had fallen from grace after finishing third in the NFC West division under second-year Head coach Tommy Prothro. It was another Second-team All-Pro honor for Bacon but that was all she wrote as far as Bacon's story with the Rams goes. The franchise decided to trade their star defensive end and their 24-year old up-and-coming running back Bob Thomas in 1973 to the San Diego Chargers for quarterback John Hadl. This marked the point of the organization in which the Rams had given up on the once elite QB Roman Gabriel and had sold the farm to grab a new QB in what looked like a panic-ridden decision.

The next year things worked out for the Rams under new Head coach Chuck Knox, John Hadl and star RB Lawrence McCutcheon. The team finished 12-2 and found Bacon's replacement in Fred Dryer. Unfortunately for Bacon, the Chargers were a polar opposite type of team that finished 2-11-1 on the year. The only real highlight came on an 80-yard interception return from Bacon. He played another solid season while only starting in nine games. Bacon reunited with Head coach Prothro the next season in which displayed an improved season after going 5-9. There looked like something was being building until the collapse the next season falling right back down to the bottom of the league at 2-12. The 24-year old QB Dan Fouts was miserable as well as the rest of the team. Once again, Bacon was traded after a disappointing year and this time he was off to join the Cincinnati Bengals in a trade for Pro-Bowl WR Charlie Joyner.

At the age of 34, Bacon was clearly not done. The trade to the Bengals brought in one of the most dominant seasons in league history. The NFL did not start recording sacks until 1982 but the Bengals started to long before that and to this day the Bengals accounted unofficially that Bacon had sacked the QB 26 times which would be the record in a single-season to this day. However, things get tricky as they did not count half sacks as a half but more as an entire sack. So, it is said that Bacon finished with 21.5 which was still incredible and was among the elite and still is today. He received another Second-team All-Pro honor as well as an invitation to his second Pro Bowl. He started every game for a team that finished 10-4 and just missed the playoffs again. The next season the Bengals went 8-6 and while it was another Pro Bowl season for Bacon, it was also another empty postseason as well.

Right before the 1978 season, Bacon would be traded again to the Washington Redskins for a First-round pick along with eight-time Pro Bowl teammate Lemar Parrish. The league had already expanded to 28 teams but it had also made the bold move to switch to 16 game seasons. The Redskins received the pass rusher they needed in Bacon but it wasn't enough in year one of Bacon's Redskins career as the team went 8-8. The next season the playoff kryptonite known as Bacon and the Redskins missed the postseason again at 10-6. The following season the 38-year old Bacon notched a third straight double-digit sack season (unofficially) but the Redskins struggled and finished 6-10. Bacon in his fourth and final season with not only the Redskins but the NFL as a whole started three games but suffered an injury that would sideline him the rest of the season. The Redskins went 8-8 in their first season coached by Joe Gibbs and the once elite pass rusher was released from the team the next season.

Bacon just loved the game and refused to let it go, so in 1983 at the age of 40, he joined the Washington Federals in the USFL. The team went 3-15 and Bacon started all but two games that season with 62 tackles and seven sacks in what was to be his final year playing football. He retired and still remains as one of the most overlooked defensive players of all time. After his career was over Bacon became a motivational speaker following his encounter with a drug-related gunshot wound. He spent years working at the Ohio River Valley Juvenile Correctional Facility. In 2008, Bacon passed away at the age of 66.

Although he played for the Fearsome Foursome era Rams, Bacon was mainly forced to play around a lot less talent for the next nine years. He was the focal point of the defense and teams would make sure to double team him. Still, even with the double teams, Bacon was ferocious. He played 180 NFL games in 14 seasons, accumulated three Pro Bowl honors, two touchdowns, 15 fumble recoveries and an unofficial total of 130 sacks. He may never find himself in the Hall of Fame just like his teammate from the Rams - Roman Gabriel. That, however, does not mean he and Roman weren't deserving. Unfortunately, Bacon is one of the most overlooked players of all time but it is important to remember him and pass around the word to keep his legacy alive. As the younger voters file into the Hall of Fame voter committee, the odds of players like Bacon making the Hall continue to dwindle.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Oops. Hit the wrong button. I meant "cheers" to Coy Bacon. Hadn't heard that name in a loonngg time, but instantly remembered.
Thanks for the flashback.

Ram65

Legend
Wow that was a great Rams history lesson. Hated to see Coy Bacon traded. He was a great player that didn't get all his due back in the day. Suppose it was needed as Rams QB Roman Gabriel had elbow trouble. Here is an article about the Gabriel trade. Rams ended up with Cappelletti and Harrah as draft picked players.

https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2013/06/1973-eagles-pay-heavy-price-in-trade.html

Thanks for refreshing my memory of a great Rams in Coy Bacon and an era of change for the Rams.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was only six years old when this trade went down and my Uncle who was 5 years older told me about the trade and I did not understand why the Rams needed two Quarterbacks, plus I really liked Coy Bacon and that was before everybody loved Bacon.

Anyway now I understand why the Rams made the deal, they were concerned about the health of Gabriel and wanted better insurance they had in 1972 with Pete Beathard. Hadl was acquired to compete with Gabriel, however, Gabriel wanted no part of the competition and forced the trade to Philadelphia. Quite a history with Van Brocklin, Gabriel, Ron Jaworski & Sam Bradford all being traded from the Rams to Philadelphia.

Ironically, Roman Gabriel in 1973 was voted comeback player of the year, however, John Hadl was named League MVP...Hadl's shelf life was shorter than Gabriel's, however, not only did the Rams profit from the Gabriel trade, but they really completely reap the benefits from trading John Hadl to the Green Bay Packers, which led to then Head Coach/GM Dan Devine, leaving for Notre Dame in 1975, in which, he wouldn't let poor Rudy play in any Irish games.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hadl of Chargers Goes To Rams for 2 Players

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 25 (AP) —The Los Angeles Rams, who suffered through a mediocre season with a sore‐armed Roman Gabriel at quarterback, today acquired John Hadl from the San Diego Chargers for Coy Bacon, a defensive end, and Bob Thomas, running back.

Hadl was available after the Chargers acquired John Unitas from the Baltimore Colts last Monday. He joins a Ram team that slipped after Gabriel suffered a collapsed lung and then had tendinitis in his right elbow.

Hadl, who'll be 33 years old this week, is an 11‐year pro who had been the Chargers' starting quarterback since 1964. He has passed for 26,938 yards, sixth highest in National Football League history, and has 201 touchdown passes.

Bacon, 29, was acquired from the, Dallas Cowboy taxi squad by the Rams in 1968 and was a Pro Bowl performer the last two years.

The 24 ‐ year ‐ old Thomas dashed for 144 yards in his first, starting assignment against New Orleans early last season. But he saw little action after that and wound up with 77 carries for 433 yards and three touchdowns.

The Rams' owner, Caroll Rosenbloom, who carried out the trade with his assistant, Don Klosterman, said that Gabriel “is a fine quarterback, but he was injured much of the time last year and this was a move to shore up the position.”

“I'm very happy to be traded to Los Angeles,” Hadl said, adding that he and Gabriel “have been buddies for a long time.

“We've both been around long enough to know that the main thing is to win. We'll both be fighting for the position.”

“The trade in no way should be interpreted as demeaning to Gabriel,” Klosterman said. “We now have two quality quarterbacks, and I believe this is necessary to win a championship.”

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/01/26/archives/hadl-of-chargers-goes-to-rams-for-2-players.html

nighttrain

Legend
i was 26 that year, 4 years before Seattle Slew won the Derby, and also 4 years before i booked my first Horse race or NFL game, good times:yay::yess::cool:
train

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@jakebogen95 is an old sole and I truly enjoy the articles from yesteryear. However, when something like this is posted, I can't help remember the Twilight Zone Episode "Long Live Walter Jameson." Which was about a History Professor in modern day (1960's back then) teaching about the Civil War and was so passionate because he was immortal and lived through it.

I feel that way when @jakebogen95 post information like this and remembering the time it actually happen and how I felt...I also remember being on the other side, researching and always being amazed to actually converse with people who lived through that time. That's why I was so close to my Grandparents and their friends.

Some more irony, I remember my Grandparents had two couples they were friends with, they had been married on December 7th, but before 1941 and I thought at that time, how awful? However, my Grandparents would remind me, obviously before Pearl Harbor, but I always felt how they were cheated. My trophy bride and I will be married 26 years come September....September 11th (9/11) and again I'm in the Twilight Zone.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys are an incredible bunch. Thank you for reading and giving ME a history lesson haha. Been trying to find as many 1960's Rams games as possible!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys are an incredible bunch. Thank you for reading and giving ME a history lesson haha. Been trying to find as many 1960's Rams games as possible!
Truly great article, Jake. I knew Coy Bacon's name, I am sorry to say, as an obscure user name at Rams Stalk...My full awareness came around 1973, after Coy was gone. Thank you for the article, I learned something.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Truly great article, Jake. I knew Coy Bacon's name, I am sorry to say, as an obscure user name at Rams Stalk...My full awareness came around 1973, after Coy was gone. Thank you for the article, I learned something.
Of course man, thanks for reading!