Rams feel better about this year's 3-1 start compared to a season ago

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams feel better about this year's 3-1 start compared to a season ago

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- For a second consecutive season, the Los Angeles Rams are off to a 3-1 start. But they'll be the first to tell you that not all 3-1 starts are created equal.

For instance, 2019?

"You played good enough to win but you didn't feel real good about how well we were executing even though you were winning," left tackle Andrew Whitworth said. "I think in this situation, we feel pretty good about the way we're executing as a football team."

Said quarterback Jared Goff: "We're just playing a lot better at every spot, every phase."

The Rams are in second place in the NFC West behind the 4-0 Seattle Seahawks as they prepare for a third trip to the East Coast to play the Washington Football Team (1-3) on Sunday.

Last season, their 3-1 start -- which included a drubbing by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- resulted in a 9-7 finish that kept them from a third consecutive playoff appearance.

With three new coordinators, a revamped backfield and a host of new defensive starters, their identity is still taking shape. But through a quarter of the season, Rams coach Sean McVay -- who is returning to Washington for the first time as a head coach after spending seven seasons there as an assistant -- likes what he sees.

"What I've been encouraged with is that this team has shown a resolve, a mental toughness," McVay said, "and an ability to win games in different ways."

In a season-opening win over the Dallas Cowboys, the offense resembled the 2018 version that propelled the Rams to a Super Bowl appearance. The defense produced a late-game stop to secure a 20-17 win.

The offense continued the pace, if not stepped it up a beat, in a dominant Week 2 performance against the Philadelphia Eagles, a game in which cornerback Darious Williams produced one of his team-high two interceptions to halt an Eagles momentum surge in the third quarter.

And although they dropped a game in Week 3 to the undefeated Bills, the Rams departed Buffalo with resolve after they staged a 29-0 run in the second half to overcome a disastrous start and nearly completed what would have been a historic come-from-behind win.

Last Sunday, they grinded out a win over the New York Giants, in a game that wide receiver Cooper Kupp admitted left "kind of a bad taste in our mouth" because of how the offense performed.

"It can be an ugly win; it can be a great win," said Whitworth, who is in his 15th NFL season. "Whatever it is, you find a way to win that game, and I think we've shown that in all four games regardless of our record."

The defense has allowed an average of 20 points per game, which ranks sixth in the NFL and is an improvement from the 22.8 points allowed per game last season.

"We are encouraged," first-year defensive coordinator Brandon Staley said. "But far from satisfied."

Staley, who kept a 3-4 base defense but often deploys five defensive backs, wants to see the unit improve its alignments and fundamentals.

"It's not anything big," he said. "It's just these little things that add up to a lot of big things."

Among the goals of Staley's scheme is to get two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald into more one-on-one situations. Donald has 3.5 sacks this season, though his pass rush win rate versus double teams has jumped from 61.1% in 2019 to 71.6% this season.

"It's a good start. I'm pretty sure that we made mistakes here and there," Donald said about the season. "We'll continue to get better."

The offense is scoring an average of 26.5 points per game, which ranks 14th in the league and is an improvement from last season's average of 24.6.

The run game has outperformed expectations since moving to a committee approach after the departure of Todd Gurley II. Behind Cam Akers, Darrell Henderson Jr., Malcolm Brown, along with several receivers who have carried the ball, the Rams are averaging 142.3 rushing yards per game compared to 93.7 yards last season.

But the most notable improvement belongs to Goff, who is now in his fifth season. His Total QBR has jumped from 40.6 through the first four games of 2019 to 72.5; his completion percentage is up from 64.2% to 72.1%; and his touchdown-to-interception ratio has improved from 6-to-6 through four games last season to 6-to-2 thus far in 2020.

Goff said the offensive line has provided the most promise, but he also pointed to his improved footwork for his personal success.

"My feet have been so much better through these four games than really anytime my career," Goff said. "Just the consistency with my feet and the consistency with my eyes. A lot of that is credit to the O-line."

The offensive line has a pass block win rate of 63.4%, up from 56.9% last season.

With the portion of their schedule featuring NFC East teams -- which have combined for three wins this season -- nearly complete, the difficulty of the Rams' schedule should pick up. They'll begin division play in Week 6 in San Francisco and must also play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New England Patriots later this season.

But, compared to a season ago, there's plenty of confidence around the Rams that they have a solid foundation to build on.

"You can start fine-tuning how you play the game," Whitworth said. "And I think that's how you really truly start to get better and better as a team throughout the season."

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't feel better. After what I saw last week vs the G-Men, it feels just like last season.

Lets see if they can get back on track back east.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't feel better. After what I saw last week vs the G-Men, it feels just like last season.

Lets see if they can get back on track back east.

Yeah, I’m a bit concerned right now. Couple it with a 28-3 first half against the Bills and teams have some good tape on how to stifle this offense. Washington is another team with a good front 7.

I hope McVay and company can win me back some confidence

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why 3-1 this season feels different than 3-1 last season for the Rams

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – A quarter of the way through the 2020 season, the Rams have the same record at the exact same juncture as last season.

Yet, 3-1 this year feels much different than 3-1 last year. For offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth, it has a lot to do with sharing an identity with the 2018 Rams and, more generally, creating their own breaks rather than falling into lucky ones.

"You really look at that (2018) season, it wasn't always just picture-perfect at the end," Whitworth said on Monday. "A lot of these games were clawing it out at the end, finding a way to win, catching a big break and doing the most with it."

The two examples from 2018 that came to mind for Whitworth were forcing and recovering a fumble on the ensuing kickoff after Greg Zuerlein's go-ahead field goal to beat the Packers at home, and Brandon McManus' ensuing onside kick going out of bounds after the Broncos scored a touchdown to pull within three with 1:22 left in that game.

In 2020, the Rams have seen a go-ahead 55-yard touchdown pass and a diving interception in the endzone secure a win against the Giants, an interception and a sack-fumble in the second half contributing to 29 unanswered points in a failed comeback effort against the Bills, a pair of second-half interceptions change momentum in a road win against the Eagles, and a rookie safety make a critical fourth-down stop in the redzone to preserve a season-opening victory over the Cowboys.

In contrast, by Whitworth's estimation, last year's 3-1 record had more to do with lucky breaks like the McManus onside kick than L.A.'s own timely execution against Green Bay – for example, Drew Brees' thumb injury early in their 2019 Week 2 win over the Saints at home.

"Every year you look at those close games and it's either one or two plays that people mostly point to that are the difference," Rams quarterback Jared Goff said on Wednesday. "And usually it's a culmination of plays throughout the whole game but when you're able to tip the scales one way consistently, that's kind of the science of a good team."

Whether the Rams have been in control in those situations or not, ultimately it's about finding ways to win regardless and by playing a complete game as a team, according to Rams head coach Sean McVay.

"That's the most important thing and I think that was what was reflective (of yesterday's game), is that we did that as a unit, putting all three phases together, just getting a feel for the flow of the game yesterday," McVay said.

These first four games certainly won't be the last time the Rams are in those close scenarios this season, but because of how they've handled them so far, they'll approach them with confidence.

"I just feel like if you watch the film, the games from last year to this year, it's just different," Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald said Thursday. "The way we're playing, the way we playing together, the way we are finishing games, the energy is different, the feel is different. It's definitely a whole different feel than the 3-1 team we had last year."

Flint

Pro Bowler
I know it’s early but I can’t help it, remember when they said the rams might be the worst team in the division and Goff was the worst qb in the division?